General Sporting from ireland!

Currently reading:
General Sporting from ireland!

ok, well i cant really take it back cos then i would have no car and i need to get to work :( It is definatly a 1.9 as the engine is huge, it goes like stink, the V5 says so and the little plate under the carpet in the boot also says so. It did come from ireland as thats where the service book says it was checked for release, it was first registerd in manchester, and the clock was not reset, it def only had done 0.9 miles when i picked it up, it was imacculate and the tyres were unused (still had red stripe on them).

I think its def a sporting, maybe it was just mis manufactured, and thats why its got drums and not discs. I dont really care about the seatbelt cos i just wont carry 5 ppl :p I will be asking the dealer about the drums for sure, if possible i will ask to get them changed to discs. The front dicks are the big sporting ones and not teh ones of the lower models! i have attached some pics below

PS i paid 9000 for the car!

Attachments

• 22092007026.jpg
    22092007026.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 22092007027.jpg
    22092007027.jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 22092007032.jpg
    22092007032.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 76
  • 22092007031.jpg
    22092007031.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • 23092007038.jpg
    23092007038.jpg
    844.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much then if your not fussed, maybe you could just ask motorpoint to pay or contribute to rear discs been fitted, worth a go anyway. Could get a letter from a dealer saying it should have them and show it motorpoint. Looks very nice in the photos.enjoy!

that is not the same engine as the one under the bonnet of my 1.9 sporting! The ECU is in the wrong place (should be on the bulkhead behind the engine, not to the front left) the dipstick is in the wrong place, so its definately a different block to the 1.9...It also doesn't have the 'bosche' (spelled wrong?) ESP unit under there either..... so no ESP, So I don't believe its a UK model........ Take it to a dealer and get it checked out... so 100% sure this is not a UK spec 1.9 sporting..... maybe an Irish spec 1.3 sporting...... certainly needs defining..... very interesting problem..... keep us updated let us know when you eventually find out what it is!
does it have a six speed gearbox?
edit... maybe some 1.3 m/jet punto owners can say if it's their engine?

Last edited:
that is not the same engine as the one under the bonnet of my 1.9 sporting! The ECU is in the wrong place (should be on the bulkhead behind the engine, not to the front left) the dipstick is in the wrong place, so its definately a different block to the 1.9...It also doesn't have the 'bosche' (spelled wrong?) ESP unit under there either..... so no ESP, So I don't believe its a UK model........ Take it to a dealer and get it checked out... so 100% sure this is not a UK spec 1.9 sporting..... maybe an Irish spec 1.3 sporting...... certainly needs defining..... very interesting problem..... keep us updated let us know when you eventually find out what it is!
does it have a six speed gearbox?
edit... maybe some 1.3 m/jet punto owners can say if it's their engine?
could you post up a pic of your engine bay for me please! and yes it has a 6 speed, and it has asr off button on dash plus hill holder works!

enginevn4.jpg

you can see the air box and airflow meter on the front left (where your ECU is)
my ECU on the rear bulkhead behind the engine, my dipstick at the front (yours is at top left) and the ESP unit behind the battery with the bosche sticker on (metal cylinder) ....

hope this helps, completely different engines.... defined beyond doubt by the different place for the dipstick, this means a different block and cylinder head....

edit: looks nice in black :)

sdit to my above post about ESP.... I can't actually see behind the battery pic you have put up... but still never heard of ESP on a car with drums on the back, didn't think it was possible, but it may have, if like you say, it was a mismanufactured car..... or an import....

Last edited:
This is all really fascinating stuff......great fun.
OK so I've got it.......if you look at a picture of the metal plate and look at the 'engine code'......then go to your handbook to page 214.....you will see that
engine code 199A3000 is for a 1.3 90bhp diesel unit.

This is all really fascinating stuff......great fun.
OK so I've got it.......if you look at a picture of the metal plate and look at the 'engine code'......then go to your handbook to page 214.....you will see that
engine code 199A3000 is for a 1.3 90bhp diesel unit.

cool.... but I'd only want to be paying £35 a year road tax for the 1.3..... not the £155 for the 1.9 if thats what it says in his log book!

looks like you have a unique car fella, a 1.3 90bhp sporting! quite cool if you want to be unique ;) if you remap it, it will go to 120bhp, so be as close as makes no difference in performance to the 1.9 diesel (y)

mine is 2007..... the enigine isn't a 1.9 m/jet.... there are no engine changes even planned at this point , let alone implemented...

this is my idea... I believe they have sorced a punto sporting diesel from Ireland (which only comes in 1.3 m/jet flavour) and registered it , and sold it, as a 1.9 sporting, (as sporting diesels in this country are only available as a 1.9 m/jet) ..

I believe it is a genuine car, no mistakes ect in manufacture, but it is an Ireland spec car, not a UK spec car, but has been registered as a UK spec car......

as you try to sort it out, try and make sure you get the tax band sorted so you only pay £35 a year tax........ (if you want to keep it)

option two is take all the evidence to the place you bought it, and demand a refund (under the sales of goods act, as it has been sold as something it's not, which is illegal) or a replacement 1.9 m/jet....

OR if you are happy with the car, keep it and demand a further discount (although 9k for a brand new 1.3 m/jet sporting, is not a bad deal.....)

Just my opinions..... what I would do is, drive it back there, and put it next to another sporting diesel, open the bonnet, point at the engine, and brakes discs, and demand a replacement, they wont refuse, as a 1.3 m/jet diesel sporting, shouldn't exist in this country.....

Last edited:
My car was registered on the 30th March 07 and it's different to yours.

How bizzare!!!

As already said, i think there's something not right with you motor mate. Is there anyone close to you with a diesel sporting that you can compare in the flesh.

Might even be worth going to your local dealer and maybe test driving a diesel sporting to compare.

Good luck (y)

just done further checks, i have been ripped off, it is a 1.3 90hp with 6 gears, it does have all the other sporting bits, but the point is i was sold it as a 1.9, it was advertised as 1.9 so i am going back to motorpoint with all guns blazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looking at the manual it all makes sense now, its only got 4 seats which explains the missing middle seatbelt and the drums on the back! ffs i spent 3 hours polishing it yesterday as well!!!!!!!

just done further checks, i have been ripped off, it is a 1.3 90hp with 6 gears, it does have all the other sporting bits, but the point is i was sold it as a 1.9, it was advertised as 1.9 so i am going back to motorpoint with all guns blazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looking at the manual it all makes sense now, its only got 4 seats which explains the missing middle seatbelt and the drums on the back! ffs i spent 3 hours polishing it yesterday as well!!!!!!!

cool, we've sorted you dilema... the power of the internet eh?! lol...

I'm fairly sure they will offer to replace it with a 1.9 sporting....... (see how much discount they may give you though, for keeping it if you're happy with it.... )

edit: mine is an April 2007 car....

cool, we've sorted you dilema... the power of the internet eh?! lol...

I'm fairly sure they will offer to replace it with a 1.9 sporting....... (see how much discount they may give you though, for keeping it if you're happy with it.... )

edit: mine is an April 2007 car....
Yeah well i just need to get it sorted now, dunno what is going to happen cos i need my car to get to work. Tell you what though, i was happy with how quick it was so imagime the smile i will have when i get my hand on a 1.9! I will be making sure they get me a 1.9 for the same price, question is, how long will i have to wait till they get it for me!

being motorpoint, they may have some in stock....... keep us updated, and let us know what happens...... If you give them a hard time, tell them you'll call a paper who holds their adverts with your story...... I know they advertise "UK spec cars..." and as someone said earlier, thats false advertising, going on what you got.....

They would be daft not to do what you ask...... remember though, the earlier you reject a car the better!

i will be rejecting it ar 9am tomorrow, my demands will be that i want to keep the car until such time that they can replace it with a 1.9 with delivery miles minimum of 07 plate. Problem is, they dont have any in stock so they will have to source one, not my problem though, if they dont meet my demands i will be taking them to the small claims court

i will be rejecting it ar 9am tomorrow, my demands will be that i want to keep the car until such time that they can replace it with a 1.9 with delivery miles minimum of 07 plate. Problem is, they dont have any in stock so they will have to source one, not my problem though, if they dont meet my demands i will be taking them to the small claims court

good approach... good luck, keep us updated. (y)

just read the whole thread, can't believe how it has turned out, i'd be in there at 9am tomorrow too, rip them another ass-hole.

Back