General Speedo fault

Currently reading:
General Speedo fault

JimCuthb64

Speedo fault...

Speedo started jumping around on our 1999 Fiat Ducato motor home...

She recently had a new engine fitted and I thought the cable may have worked loose at the gearbox... had a look underneath..it was tight enough...

Took it to a local garage, waited a fortnight for the day we had her booked in.. they said it could either be a mechanical fault or electrical... and that they would have a look at her..

I dropped her off on the day at 8 am...only to discover when I went to pick her up that they hadnt bothered their backside looking at her... not happy is putting it mildly...

So still trying to diagnose.. personally I think its just a new speedo cable... but would rather confirm is there a possibility of an electrical issue before buying a new cable...

So is their and electrical side to the speedo heads on these old vans???

Depending on age etc.older ones just have a speedo drive gear at gearbox with a cable screwed in, in which case you may be able to disconnect at both ends and run oil down it as we did in the old days.
Also if that cable type check the route of the cable is nice and gentle , no tight bends since engine work may have disturbed it.
Some later ones have a gear drive at gearbox connected to an electrical plug, this can also give trouble if bad connection or even faulty unit.
Others on Forum have threads re these so may be worth checking their threads.

Speedo fault...

She recently had a new engine fitted and I thought the cable may have worked loose at the gearbox... had a look underneath..it was tight enough...

Probably just a dry cable...

Much more swinging at 5 mph than at 35?

I oiled my 1990 Ducato when it did that

I removed the cluster (warm and dry job) 🙂 remove battery power 1st

Uncouple the speedo cable

Lift out around a foot of the inner square cable, wipe it.. Dry and grippy.. Or still Oily wet?

If it's still fairly damp,
Dribble some light oil.. (Basic blue tinWD40 is ok for that..) into the outer cable end,

Work the square cable in and out a few times g spreading lubrication down towards the gearbox end

Withdraw 30cm and wipe the top 3 inches / 75mm clean (saves risk of contaminating the speedo head)

When you lower the square inner back down... Give it s gentle twist.. To engage in the Square gearbox fitting 😉

Then reassemble the Dash cluster,
then reconnect the starter battery

Speedo fault...

Took it to a local garage, waited a fortnight for the day we had her booked in.. they said it could either be a mechanical fault or electrical... and that they would have a look at her..

I dropped her off on the day at 8 am...only to discover when I went to pick her up that they hadnt bothered their backside looking at her... not happy is putting it mildly...

So still trying to diagnose.. personally I think its just a new speedo cable... but would rather confirm is there a possibility of an electrical issue before buying a new cable...

A 1999 Ducato will only have a mechanical speedo drive. The only electrics involved will be for the illumination.

Ok thanks guys.... looks like i'll try lubricating the old cable first.....

And if that dosnt work i'll get a new cable....

Appreciate the advice...

Not in a hurry and we're approaching the Solstice and the weather not the best...

But I'll update once it's fixed.

Thanks again..😀

Just incase anyone else out there is looking for one...

Checked with my local'ish Fiat commercial dealer...

The speedo cable is still available... it would come from Italy... about two weeks...

56 quid plus VAT.

Back