Technical Spark Plugs?

Currently reading:
Technical Spark Plugs?

Good Morning,

My car has been failing to start these past couple of days, the battery is fine its just not kicking in and taking about 2-3 times to actually turn over.

I haven't had it serviced in a while, and the spark plugs have never been changed. And this was the first thing that came to mind. Was to change the spark plugs?

Does anyone know which are the best ones to use for the punto? Mine is a 1.4 Active Sport.

Cheers

Good Morning,

My car has been failing to start these past couple of days, the battery is fine its just not kicking in and taking about 2-3 times to actually turn over.

I haven't had it serviced in a while, and the spark plugs have never been changed. And this was the first thing that came to mind. Was to change the spark plugs?

Does anyone know which are the best ones to use for the punto? Mine is a 1.4 Active Sport.

Cheers

Has the car missed a service (18,000 miles or a year which ever comes first)If so then surely a service would be the right thing to do?

It's pointles guessing, and could turn out expensive, maintainance is key, especially with long service intervals.

Has the car missed a service (18,000 miles or a year which ever comes first)If so then surely a service would be the right thing to do?

It's pointles guessing, and could turn out expensive, maintainance is key, especially with long service intervals.

Its had its 12k and 18k service. I haven't had it serviced since because of lack of funds.

Its had its 12k and 18k service. I haven't had it serviced since because of lack of funds.

As long as it's not more than a year or at more than 36,000 miles it shouldnt need servicing, except maybe an interim if it covers low mileage?

Honestly when you buy a new car, it's a false economy to neglect mainainance, low funds or not it wont help the car to be reliable in the future.

See what price you can get an interim service (to Fiat schedule and using equivalent quality parts) from at a VAT registered independent garage nearby rather than a dealer maybe?

Thanks.

But all I want to actually know is if its the spark plugs or not..

You cant know, only by replacing them will you know, the best ones are the ones Fiat recommend.

And if its not what will be your next guess? Coil pack? Air filter? Something more drastic?

Put the cart in front of the horse, if it needs a service get one done, then if you still have a problem you know its not Service related, and if its under Warranty your dealer can sort it for you.

Last edited:
My money is on your MAP sensor.....

I take it your car only struggles to start from stone cold? does it fire up then the revs just fall away and the car stalls?

then the car starts ok if you give it some revs?

have you noticed an increase in fuel consumption lately?

It does struggle to start up from cold. But its not been doing it everytime, no increase in fuel consumption. It does tend to start up when i give it some revs.

Map sensor??

Back