General Space saver wheel advice . Unless you really have to. Do not fit space saver wheel to any FRONT steer and drive wheels . Only rear wheel use .

Currently reading:
General Space saver wheel advice . Unless you really have to. Do not fit space saver wheel to any FRONT steer and drive wheels . Only rear wheel use .

If it is 14 inch wheel I found it much cheaper to buy a full size genuine Fiat rim from shop4parts which was £65 & as I was changing all 4 tyres at the same time one of the old tyres still had 3-4mm tread which I reused for the spare wheel. If it is 15 inch a full size wheel will not fit in the spare wheel well

You never really HAVE to put a Spacesaver on a front wheel. If you get a front wheel puncture/damage, remove that wheel and fit the Spacesaver. Go to a back wheel and remove a (good) one, and fit the punctured wheel. Go back to the Spacesaver (just fitted toi the front) remove it and fit the good (ex) back wheel. Return to the punctured rear wheel and fit the Spacesaver.
Tedious I know but means you don't ever have a Spacesaver on the front
IF, you have two jacks you can jack front and rear of the same side at the same time and just swop front to back so the Spacesaver goes on the back.. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS METHOD.
However the good old Citroen 2 CV jack lifted the whole side of the "Deuch" allowing both wheels to come off at the same time. Just shows you how advanced that car was, in it's own way
Whatever you do ,do it SAFELY a car coming off a jack can do an awful lot of damage, to you, others, and the car

You never really HAVE to put a Spacesaver on a front wheel. If you get a front wheel puncture/damage, remove that wheel and fit the Spacesaver. Go to a back wheel and remove a (good) one, and fit the punctured wheel. Go back to the Spacesaver (just fitted toi the front) remove it and fit the good (ex) back wheel. Return to the punctured rear wheel and fit the Spacesaver.
Tedious I know but means you don't ever have a Spacesaver on the front
IF, you have two jacks you can jack front and rear of the same side at the same time and just swop front to back so the Spacesaver goes on the back.. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS METHOD.
However the good old Citroen 2 CV jack lifted the whole side of the "Deuch" allowing both wheels to come off at the same time. Just shows you how advanced that car was, in it's own way
Whatever you do ,do it SAFELY a car coming off a jack can do an awful lot of damage, to you, others, and the car

Just put the spacesaver on the rear.. if that frees up a Good Roadwheel

That can replace the punctured front Roadwheel

The less times you need to raise the bodywork the better ;-)

Tip: whenever you are about to manhandle the wheel from the hub..
Place the 'extra' wheel under the sill near the jack

If the worst happens..and the jack kicks out.. there will be a semisupported body perched on the spare.. and enough room to retrieve and remount the jack

The only supplied jack I trusted was the early panda : it clipped into a box hslfway down the sill

You jacked it stood at the side of the car..and it raised that whole side of the car ( weighed very little back then)

Just put the spacesaver on the rear.. if that frees up a Good Roadwheel

That can replace the punctured front Roadwheel

The less times you need to raise the bodywork the better ;-)

Tip: whenever you are about to manhandle the wheel from the hub..
Place the 'extra' wheel under the sill near the jack

If the worst happens..and the jack kicks out.. there will be a semisupported body perched on the spare.. and enough room to retrieve and remount the jack

The only supplied jack I trusted was the early panda : it clipped into a box hslfway down the sill

You jacked it stood at the side of the car..and it raised that whole side of the car ( weighed very little back then)
Better system than my long winded way!

Space savers are B dangerous and are to get to a tyre firm only! On the front they are exceptionally poor and terminal understeer can occur at 15mph.. I would rather buy a tyre from my breakdown provider and replace that the following day than drive any distance on the space savers. I will say the Continental is better than the Dunlop badged versions.

Back