some new year my brava won't start on the first day.. help!

Currently reading:
some new year my brava won't start on the first day.. help!

lisa2006

i woke up to start my car it ticks over but does not fire. when i put my foot on the gas it was like a blow noise from beside the engine. i notised there was no water in so i toped up and today it was bak to empty. tried to bump/jump start it but no joy. can anyone help me plz thanx. :bang: :confused:

help engine problems

i woke up to start my car it ticks over but does not fire. when i put my foot on the gas it was like a blow noise from beside the engine. i notised there was no water in so i toped up and today it was bak to empty. tried to bump/jump start it but no joy. can anyone help me plz thanx.

Re: help engine problems

Firstly it cant tic over and not fire cos it has to fire to start so have you noticed any water on the ground or around the engine :confused:

I think she means the starter motor is clicking but the engine is not engaging. The lack of coolant in the system is a bad sign. That can usually mean head gasket problem or coolant leak. If its a coolant leak u would have noticed when the temperature went to over the 100 and it cut out. If its cylinder head gasket u could be lucky and just have stopped it at the right time. Personally u need to get a mechanic to check it over. Check ur oil cap for white sludge and check the ground for oil or water deposits!

Ross

Sound nasty this hope to god thers no water in the cylinders :eek:

its a brava s 1.4 16v i just checked it again no leaks oil cap ok but still ticking nuthing else

i tried that but no joy and bump start but nuthing :bang:

G8 aint it when you want members comments theres no one at home now wheres Midland fiat he was around earlier :)

when there is no coolent in the engine, and you cant find it anywhere under the car, it has to be inside the engine.

Firts things first.

when you turn the key, it just ticks..??
Do you mean the engine doens't turn at all, or does it turn round but wont fire up..??
If it doesnt fire up, there is no use in trying to jump/bumb start it, if the batt has enough juice to turn it round, and it wont fire up, you can push it all the way over here, but it still wont run (here is the netherlands).

If the engine doens't turn @all that could mean there is coolent in the cilinders, then stop trying to jump/bumb start it..!!!!!!!

If the last is the case that could indicate the headgasket being the fualth, and the coolent found it's way into the cilinders..

(sorr for the english, i am dutch you see..)

So let us know what is what..
doest it just kilcks..?
does it turn but don't fire up..?

You mean it turns over rather than it ticks over?
If it's lot all it's coolant, then something's badly wrong. I'm no mechanic, but I'd guess at head gasket failure.
H

okay...

no turning at all could indicate an empty batt, but combined with the coolent being gone.. I would say
STOP STARTING IT !!!!
and no bumb/jump starting either.

best thing is to have it towed up to a garage or fix it your self..
but it's pretty save to say the headgasket is blown, and the coolent found it's way into your engine/cilinders.

If the leak is small enough, the pressure of the combustion would prevent the coolent from leaking into the cilinders whiles the engine runs.
That could explain why there was no white smoke or any other sing for this.

But when the engine stops running (you parking iut a few days ago) the presiure is gone, so the coolent has free way into the cilinders.

If you tow it to a car shop, please tell them the coolent is gone, and the engien doesn't turn at all..!!
that prevents them form towing it down the street to get it to start/turn.. !!!

Takeout your spark plugs see if the engine will turn over and eject the water if theres any in there and make a note where the H.T. leads were ie- this lead goes here and so on when they go back theyre in the right place (y)

Back