Some advice on an amp I've just bought...

Currently reading:
Some advice on an amp I've just bought...

Hi guys, took a bit of a punt and bought an amp off eBay (it was very cheap). I can't find any details of it on the internet though, so there's no manual I can turn to. Here's some pics of it:

Few questions:

1. I have a pretty basic Sony car stereo. It doesn't have any pre-amp outputs so for now I need to connect it to the amp using the speaker level outputs. Are any of the inputs on the amp likely to be suitable for speaker level rather than line level? Is it the "HIGH INPUT"? If so then I assume once I get a decent head unit I need to use the "LOW INPUT" RCA sockets?

2. I have some Infinity 6010CS component speakers at the moment, and maybe in a few weeks I'll add a subwoofer. For now do I just need to use the 2 channel settings (channels 1&2, or channels 1&3?)

3. Should I bother using the "Bass Boost" on each channel?

4. How should I use the X-Over switch? The way I thought I was supposed to set it up would be to have the outputs from the amp going into a couple of crossover units that came with the components, and then you connect a mid and a tweeter to each crossover unit. So if I've got these why do I need to have a crossover switch on the amp aswell?

Sorry to ask so many questions, I'm a total newbie when it comes to this kind of stuff :(

Cheers (y)

Attachments

• CIMG1337.JPG
    CIMG1337.JPG
    406.2 KB · Views: 16
  • CIMG1339.JPG
    CIMG1339.JPG
    404.7 KB · Views: 11
1: correct.

2: 1+2. 3+4 are for rears usually.

3: Probably dont need to, but it shouldnt do any harm. try it at low volumes and see if it distorts. if it does start to distort at a decent level, then switch it off.

4: its just a built in one. if your splitting it with x-overs yourself, dont bother with it.

Cool, ta for that (y)

So if I'm not using the amp's crossovers, then that X-OVER switch just needs to be nudged to FULL (assume that just means it passes the full signal across)?

Anyone know what that white "HIGH INPUT" connector on the left is called (the one with 10 male pins in two rows of 5). Want to see if Maplins have any female connectors I can buy to wire up my current car stereo.

And then how do I go about connecting the standard speaker output to that?? Which pins of those 10 would I need to connect to?

It's looking like I might have to save up for a decent head unit with phono outputs sooner than I planned...

Back