Technical soft rattle on startup

Currently reading:
Technical soft rattle on startup

alan

Hi
Have a 1999 60S team with 13000 miles ( have had it from 4000 miles ), oil and filter changes every 5000 miles correct oil and Fiat filter used. Recently on initial cold startup there is a 'soft' rattle from engine, (possibly top end - sounds like hydraulic tappet pumping up but can't be that as 1.2 has solid cam followers), and oil pressure light takes a couple of seconds to go out and once it has rattle stops. Only happens when vehicle has stood for 6 or more hours. Does not rattle at any other time even when hot and under load.
Have spoken to my local Fiat dealers mechanics who say the only problem they know of with the 8V 1.2 engine is little end noise.
Has anyone else experienced this fault,

It is possible that the non return valve in the oil filter could be faulty, my reason for suggesting this is that you say the problem occurs if the engine has been stopped for 6 hours or more - the oil could possibly all be draining back to the sump.
It might be worth trying seven quids worth of new fiat filter before looking for anything more sinister.

Pete.
Cinq sporting
http://mysite.freeserve.com/close_to_cracking_up/
ICQ 128053114

Pete
Yes this was my first thought, have changed it for a origional Fiat filter but problem still there.

I also get a rattle. Soon as the revs kick up and down its fine.
Been told by a mate could just be oil going into the system?!
Not gonna write the crap explanation fiat gave!!

Some fire engines seem to do this why I don't know as they are not all the same. You say you use the correct oil but don't say which. I remember once filling my first Uno with oil from a leading manufacturer correct grade etc when I couldn't get the Selina recommended by Fiat In 2000 miles there was signs of cam/tappet wear, the oil was drained and the Fiat oil re-introduced and the wear never got any worse until I sold the car at 128000 miles.
Suggest you run a can of engine flush through at oil change and try using the correct grade of Millers Semi Synthetic oil which I now use as selina is no longer available locally.

Hi all.
I bought a Brava 1.8 ELX a couple of weeks ago, N reg, 47,000 miles, Was great when I picked it up but as the engine was warm already a fault revealed later went unnoticed. Basically when you first start the car from cold the top end makes quite a racket, a loud tapping that speeds up with engine rev, as the engine warms it gets quieter but never actually disappears, if you rev the engine when hot you can still here a rattle. The engine other than that feels like new and has loads of power, I popped into a local garage and the mech’ there said he thought it was probably the hydraulics, what do you think? Other than the noise it really is a great car, can I fix it?

Thanks

invest in a flushing oil and follow the instructions.then drop the oil and renew the oil filter, before you fit the new filter invest in a bottle of slick 50 engine treatment add 25% of the bottle into the new filter then fit the filter,put the remainder of the bottle with the remainder of the fresh engine oil in the engine and start and run the vehicle. the job will be sorted after a few days.

Originally posted by fixitman
invest in a flushing oil and follow the instructions.then drop the oil and renew the oil filter, before you fit the new filter invest in a bottle of slick 50 engine treatment add 25% of the bottle into the new filter then fit the filter,put the remainder of the bottle with the remainder of the fresh engine oil in the engine and start and run the vehicle. the job will be sorted after a few days.

alan i get the same, and i have the same car as you a 1999 team.

must just be a standard mod fiat have added.

-----------------------------------------

get ready for the Fiat Punto Concept Mk1

---Clayton---

-----------------------------------------

Back