So Finally The Middle Lane Might Be Cleared

Currently reading:
So Finally The Middle Lane Might Be Cleared

I was under the impression it was already enforcable just like the mobile phone stuff was if required..... I doubt it'll change much to be honest :cry:

As per all of the above really.
My mate reported 2 national express coaches going up the M6.
He sent off video evidence showing he was in lane 1 for 10 minutes with a long clear stretch ahead & the 2 coaches were driving unbelievably close together (tailgating) for the whole time in lane 2. No reason whatsoever why they couldn't have spent that time in lane 1.
he said that , at the same time, a car was trying to overtake them in lane 3 - but looked as though he was too frightened to pull alongside - consequently, the coaches and the idiot in lane 3 had set up a rolling road block:bang:

Maybe the laws should be changed to "submit dashcam evidence, we'll review it & send out a fine, if the same cars come up again, they'll get a fine plus have to do additional training course..."
There aren't enough police out there to enforce these rules - so use what is out there.

With regards using mobile phones. Sadly, the tints on all cars these days means that often the camera cannot see drivers on the mobile. this is a difficult one - video will show the car being driven, phone records will show a call being made & the fact that the phone was in the car BUT, the driver could argue it was on speaker.

I was under the impression it was already enforcable

Not with points and a fine.

I've just read some of the readers comments on the article on the BBC, I can't beleive how stupid so many people are.

"It's another tax"
"Just making more money"
"But I drive at 70 why do people need me to move out of the way"

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Tell me about it :bang:

Having driven on a lot of different motorways systems around Europe, the. standard of motorway driving in England is the worst I've ever seen. Dual carriageways and single carriageways the standard is indistinguishable from anywhere else, but the motorways is abysmal. It's about time something like this was done. Just need to double the fleet of cars the traffic departments have to be able to even come close to covering it all.

I thought it could be covered by "driving without due care and attention" or existing laws relating to "careless / dangerous driving".

I guess those required the lengthy and costly paperwork / court case?

This is why the new law is being looked at, to unclog the courts as it'll be like an SP30, send your licence and the fine to the DVLA, job done (y) about time too.

So crap lane discipline that's not on a motorway is unaffected?...

Pet peeve..getting into lane 2 miles before its necessary and sitting in the outside lane doing 35mph when the prevailing speed limit is 60 to 70. Then to top it get annoyed when someone undertakes travelling at the correct speed in the empty lane its either that or every one stacks up behind.

there is always a bus on the last bit of the m11 in the middle lane no matter what else is on the motorway :(

Edit now we just need a ban on lorries overtaking on slow parts or 2 lane only parts, and moving into middle lane 5 miles too early when they know left lane is going to turn into a slip road

Last edited:
Im glad that the punishment for
Seat belts -> mobile phones -> red light jumping

Because the current punishment aint enough of a deterrent.

Make it bigger - make it more of a sting and less people should start obeying the rules

The number of people using there mobiles still while driving is still rising around where i live, see more and more people on there phones!

Ziggy

It's all about education and in some cases fear of changing lanes safely. Some poeple just don't take driving seriously enough and give it enough respect.
Also (and without wishing to upset anybody if you know what I mean) we have so many people driving on our roads on International licenses that have no real idea how to drive on the motorway. My business partner came here from an Asian country and was allowed to drive without any checks on him whatsoever for 12 months before he had to take a UK test (which he passed first time).
As it happens he is naturally a good driver, but everytime I went anywhere with him I was teaching him how to drive in the UK! What signs mean, speed limits etc. A woman I know who came here from Australia drove for a year here before she just avoided a serious crash on a roundabout. In the ensuing argument with the lorry driver it turned out that she had been under the impression that traffic on the roundabout was supposed to give way to traffic joining it!
It's not safe.

A woman I know who came here from Australia drove for a year here before she just avoided a serious crash on a roundabout. In the ensuing argument with the lorry driver it turned out that she had been under the impression that traffic on the roundabout was supposed to give way to traffic joining it!
It's not safe.

but they have roundabouts in Australia with same rules we have, why did she think it was different here:confused:

As a former Aussie, I can say that the rules for roundabouts are EXACTLY the same as here. How the hell would a roundabout work otherwise? That woman should be shot IN FRONT OF HER FAMILY!

Back