So Finally The Middle Lane Might Be Cleared

Currently reading:
So Finally The Middle Lane Might Be Cleared

Having driven on a lot of different motorways systems around Europe, the. standard of motorway driving in England is the worst I've ever seen. Dual carriageways and single carriageways the standard is indistinguishable from anywhere else, but the motorways is abysmal. It's about time something like this was done. Just need to double the fleet of cars the traffic departments have to be able to even come close to covering it all.
I'd agree in principle, but can I draw the Honourable Gentleman's attention to the country that gave birth to the cars that we joined this forum for? Italy. The vast difference between the speeds of cars and trucks is a lot to do with it, as does the condition of the roads; anyone ever driven on the Firenze to Sienna "Superstrada"? If you have you'll know that "Super" has nothing to do with it. The other major factor in Autostrada fatalities is the "Freightrain". A tranche of Alfa 159s, Audi A4s, 3-Series' and C-Class Mercs all with around a car length between each and travelling at around 100 (mph)

So crap lane discipline that's not on a motorway is unaffected?...

Pet peeve..getting into lane 2 miles before its necessary and sitting in the outside lane doing 35mph when the prevailing speed limit is 60 to 70. Then to top it get annoyed when someone undertakes travelling at the correct speed in the empty lane its either that or every one stacks up behind.
Don't forget, although it's subjective, you can overtake on the left in slow moving lanes of traffic where the traffic on the right is travelling slower than that on the left. The subjective bit comes when discussing "Slow moving". Someone driving at 35 in a 70 limit is travelling at half the prevailing speed limit, as is driving at 15 in a built up area. If it's acceptable in town, it could be equally acceptable on a motorway or dual carriageway like the A1.

I was watching a programme a few weeks ago called "Emergency Bikers" and one section followed a Bike Cop in North Yorkshire. While on the A64 near York he saw a car travelling at about 30 in a 70 (I think) limit pull out into lane 2 forcing another car to brake hard to avoid him. He pulled the driver over and was told he changed lane because the Sat Nav told him to. Maybe one of our problems is following the electronic voice rather than our own eyes.

I think it's a good idea, as long as they had to prove it and there was guidelines not just 'officer judgement'.

Too right with the phone usage Ziggy122 a woman couldn't even steer earlier because she was trying with one hand.

However, police judgement needs stricter rules. Having the power to prosecute without proof scares me, and it happens.
There are plenty of occasions where the Cop's judgement is used to prosecute or issue a FPN. Public Order offences for a start and speeding where a car is followed, even if the Police car is fitted with a calibrated speedo. Even if the proof is there a Cop can exercise discretion rather than prosecute.

Using a mobile phone while in charge of a motor vehicle is an absolute offence, but a driver may say that he/she wasn't using a phone but was resting a hand against the side of the face, which can look very like using a phone. Sometimes an accusation of not wearing a seat belt can be defended by the mere fact that the driver is wearing a black jacket.

However, I still can't understand why someone won't pay £20 for a handsfree device to avoid a fine 5 times that amount.....or death!

How many times do I get stuck in a queue behind someone waiting to turn right - but failing to position themselves properly? I wonder if they believe that by holding all the traffic up behind them on a busy road, it might encourage someone to let them cross?
If I'm a car or two back from those waiting to cross, I always signal my thanks to the driver who lets them cross - after all, you've just saved me an age of waiting.
Mind you, the only drivers who actually see your thanks tend to be HGV/PSV drivers

There are plenty of occasions where the Cop's judgement is used to prosecute or issue a FPN. Public Order offences for a start and speeding where a car is followed, even if the Police car is fitted with a calibrated speedo. Even if the proof is there a Cop can exercise discretion rather than prosecute.

Using a mobile phone while in charge of a motor vehicle is an absolute offence, but a driver may say that he/she wasn't using a phone but was resting a hand against the side of the face, which can look very like using a phone. Sometimes an accusation of not wearing a seat belt can be defended by the mere fact that the driver is wearing a black jacket.

However, I still can't understand why someone won't pay £20 for a handsfree device to avoid a fine 5 times that amount.....or death!

Youve obviously never been pulled for use of a mpbile phone mate ;)

I was done a few years ago, despite the phone being in my glovebox, my bluetooth handsfree enabled and my phone showing no evidence of a call. When i was pulled i thought i had took the corner wide.

Ill not get into the legal aspect, but thats the sort of thing im scared of. He knew at the time I didnt know how to handle it and he took advantage.

Imagine being pullled for middle laning but actually being in the left hand lane....most people will fight it but some will not, which is bad but I can bet it will happen.

I was done a few years ago, despite the phone being in my glovebox, my bluetooth handsfree enabled and my phone showing no evidence of a call. When i was pulled i thought i had took the corner wide.

Ill not get into the legal aspect, but thats the sort of thing im scared of. He knew at the time I didnt know how to handle it and he took advantage.

Imagine being pullled for middle laning but actually being in the left hand lane....most people will fight it but some will not, which is bad but I can bet it will happen.

There was one on traffic cops a while back when a guy was pulled he elected to go to court strangely they never said what the outcome was..

Glad I have my t eye which films me picking my nose ;)

I am all in favour of higher driving standards on the roads, and motorways especially, but I am also fearful of allowing police to be judge and jury. I think in some cases that would be too much power in their hands. We have all come across the bobby who likes to "bully" for want of a better term motorists who they have taken a disliking too, but can't find anything concrete that they have done wrong. It's funny how on these motorway cops type programmes the police seem to be ultra polite to the scrote that looks likely to lamp them one, but cocky with the ones they no would never hit anybody. Or is that just my fertile imagination?
One of the funniest things I ever saw was back in the 70's and a mate of mine had a really super-cool lowered original mini. He was always getting pulled over by the police but they never had any justification. One time they tried to do him for his front number plate. When the bobby (one bloke and one wpc) had finished lecturing him and speaking to him like an armed robber, my mate asked him very politely if he could speak yet. Then he asked the bobby could he tell him the precise regulation which he was alleged to have infringed. The bobby spouted something or other, to which my mate then corrected him and recited word for word what it really was, and demonstrated exactly why his car fully complied. He then told them he was a third year law student and they could check it themselves when they got back to the station. At which point the WPC diffused the situation by saying it was nice car but he should drive safely, and urged the bobby to leave it.
But this was South Yorkshire Police we are talking about so nothing surprised us.

I still think sit a driving refresher test every 10 years, job done! more people with greater knowledge, bad habits removed or the grand finally of terrible drivers removed from the road full stop! :slayer:

Those who can't / don't possition properly for right hand turns where they can do in a manor to let others past should also be clouted with £100 fine and 3 points IMO.
Grates my gears when you flash someone well in advance to come out into a road where the 'ghost island' is clearly large enough to sit a car in & yet they draw out & sit at right angles just blocking your way

Mind you, the only drivers who actually see your thanks tend to be HGV/PSV drivers
Two instances this morning, one car & one PSV

I am all in favour of higher driving standards on the roads, and motorways especially, but I am also fearful of allowing police to be judge and jury. I think in some cases that would be too much power in their hands. We have all come across the bobby who likes to "bully" for want of a better term motorists who they have taken a disliking too, but can't find anything concrete that they have done wrong. It's funny how on these motorway cops type programmes the police seem to be ultra polite to the scrote that looks likely to lamp them one, but cocky with the ones they no would never hit anybody. Or is that just my fertile imagination?
One of the funniest things I ever saw was back in the 70's and a mate of mine had a really super-cool lowered original mini. He was always getting pulled over by the police but they never had any justification. One time they tried to do him for his front number plate. When the bobby (one bloke and one wpc) had finished lecturing him and speaking to him like an armed robber, my mate asked him very politely if he could speak yet. Then he asked the bobby could he tell him the precise regulation which he was alleged to have infringed. The bobby spouted something or other, to which my mate then corrected him and recited word for word what it really was, and demonstrated exactly why his car fully complied. He then told them he was a third year law student and they could check it themselves when they got back to the station. At which point the WPC diffused the situation by saying it was nice car but he should drive safely, and urged the bobby to leave it.
But this was South Yorkshire Police we are talking about so nothing surprised us.

The average young power crazed bobby seem to make the rules up as they go to try to make you admit to their alleged offence... I've corrected some in the past they really don't like it

And now they have the "Section 59" to play with as well - it's dangerous.

Oh yes

with the firearms incident i was threatened with an ASBO..... and the one you don't hear about any more the once much loved "1996 Harassment act" which seems to have fallen by the wayside....

"Hardly antisocial doing pest control officer im doing the neighboring property owners a favor..... " :devil:

that comment didn't go down well :D

Don't forget, although it's subjective, you can overtake on the left in slow moving lanes of traffic where the traffic on the right is travelling slower than that on the left. The subjective bit comes when discussing "Slow moving". Someone driving at 35 in a 70 limit is travelling at half the prevailing speed limit, as is driving at 15 in a built up area. If it's acceptable in town, it could be equally acceptable on a motorway or dual carriageway like the A1.

I was watching a programme a few weeks ago called "Emergency Bikers" and one section followed a Bike Cop in North Yorkshire. While on the A64 near York he saw a car travelling at about 30 in a 70 (I think) limit pull out into lane 2 forcing another car to brake hard to avoid him. He pulled the driver over and was told he changed lane because the Sat Nav told him to. Maybe one of our problems is following the electronic voice rather than our own eyes.

I hate people who substitute thinking for a sat nav as well..which as a sat nav user is odd to say, but I use it as an aid not as the be all and end all. If you listen to voice guidance from one of these things it'll have you all over the shop. Saying bear left when it actually means stay where you are...but you won't know that unless you have basic map reading skills and a brain to glance at the screen and see where it actually means its worse than being lost.

You're right, I haven't been pulled over for using a mobile. but I don't understand why you should be pulled in the first place if your phone was in the glove box. I know you stated that you didn't want to get into the legal aspect, but I can't think why you didn't elect a Court hearing. Unless you were pretty young and lacked the confidence.

The problem is, when faced with being pulled, a lot of people will not think straight and this may be the last thing they consider. Before they know it, boom, 100 quid fine.
Don't forget, despite what the press and TV say, there is no such thing as an on the spot motoring fine. These offences will be dealt with by Endorsable Fixed Penalty Notice (EFPN) with the option to elect a Magistrates' Court hearing.

Having said that, there are more and more offences being dealt with via a Motoring Offence Report whereby a Force is more likely to offer some kind of re-training course such as Speed Awareness or National Driver Improvement Scheme than a fine and points. It would depend on the nature of the offence and whether a course has been undertaken before.

Someone parking on Zig-zag lines at a pedestrian crossing might be considered as having an attitude problem, for which there will be a course and others might be eligible for a Speed Awareness Course and so on.

Have to wait and see how that pans out.

Last edited:
I hate people who substitute thinking for a sat nav as well..which as a sat nav user is odd to say, but I use it as an aid not as the be all and end all. If you listen to voice guidance from one of these things it'll have you all over the shop. Saying bear left when it actually means stay where you are...but you won't know that unless you have basic map reading skills and a brain to glance at the screen and see where it actually means its worse than being lost.
Although I don't use a Sat Nav, I can understand the attraction, but, there is one particular stretch of motorway on the way to Manchester Airport which seems to exemplify one of the problems.

At the start of what is known as the Sharston Link where the M56 starts at its junction with the M60.

Here the road goes from 3 lanes to 4 as a slip road from the A34 joins on the left making 4 lanes in total. After a short distance the now left hand lane carries on, clearly signed above as A34 & M56 Airport. Lane 2 is clearly signed above as being M56 Airport and M60. So you can carry on to the airport in lane 1, and in lane 2 you can either exit onto the M56 or carry on the M60. All worked fairly well until about 3 years ago, more and more vehicles used lane 3 until almost at the last moment moving into lane 1 and getting held up behind a truck. Others travelling quite happily in lane 2 would inexplicably move out to lane 3. This causes a lot problems as HGVs now often occupy lane 3 (of 4) instead of staying in lane 2. This causes sudden congestion as faster moving traffic catches up with the slow stuff.

I asked a taxi driver once who went that way at least once a week if he could explain this problem. He said his Sat Nav had some form of lane selection advice and told him to take lane 3 until he was almost alongside the sliproad.

Back