Technical Smokey B

Currently reading:
Technical Smokey B

Is it just my car or do all B's emit loads of white smoke from the exhaust on cold mornings. I'm sure it's not burning oil, it's more on tick over when at junctions. I'm sitting in a cloud of white smoke, I feel really embarrassed, of course other cars are doing the same it just seems that my B is churning out more than other cars, I'm getting a bit paranoid about it any thoughts?

Head Gasket failure:eek:
If it goes away after a while then it is most likely to just be condensation but keep an eye on it.
One recommendation I would make is to have a gas test at a local garage. This involves sticking a special tube in the top of the expansion tank with a liquid inside that changes colour if there is any exhaust gases in the water system. Whilst not a foolproof way of checking the head gasket it may help.

I bought the car last November and during the last winter for the first 5 or so miles it has always smoked summer months has been great. But I used car to go to work this morning and I was again sitting in a car surrounded in white smoke ( well that's how it seems when I'm waiting at the lights) I did think of the head gasket but I'm not loosing any water in fact I have not needed to top coolant up at all since i bought the car, oil is good and clean also no emulsifying. I'm probably being over reactive but i can't help thinking that something is amiss. I will have a gas test though can't do any harm.

I have a lot of 'steam' from mine on a cold morning - I was a bit paranoid to begin with as it resembled white smoke but on further investigation it is just normal exhaust emissions, it should disappear after about 15 mins of running.

If it is white smoke that is often an issue with an injector/fuel or spark plug, blue smoke is oil and indicates a number of things but is usually a head gasket or piston rings/valve stem seals.

As SS said if you are worried that its a head gasket have it gas tested at a local garage. An easy way to tell if it is a head gasket (assuming its been on its way for a while) is to look for buttermilk in the header tank and under the oil filler cap............

I have noticed that mine has been producing a lot of visible emissions since it has become cold in the morning, I would not worry too much unless you are overheating or have buttermilk under the oil filler cap.

Hope this helps, LRB

OH - and its not embarrassing, its a 'feature'!!

I bought the car last November and during the last winter for the first 5 or so miles it has always smoked summer months has been great. But I used car to go to work this morning and I was again sitting in a car surrounded in white smoke ( well that's how it seems when I'm waiting at the lights) I did think of the head gasket but I'm not loosing any water in fact I have not needed to top coolant up at all since i bought the car, oil is good and clean also no emulsifying. I'm probably being over reactive but i can't help thinking that something is amiss. I will have a gas test though can't do any harm.

If you get a chance start the car, let it run for 5 mins and take some pictures.....

LRB I never thought of it as a feature (y)

Good idea I'm of on my hols tomorrow but I will post some pictures when I return.

Not sure what the local commuters will make of me taking pictures of my exhaust at 5 o'clock in the morning but still.

Last edited:
Back