Technical Smell of petrol in the cabin

Currently reading:
Technical Smell of petrol in the cabin

smart51

Established member
I've noticed a smell of petrol in the cabin the day after I've driven the car. There is no smell in the engine bay, under the bonnet or in the garage. It suggests a fuel leak inside the car. Does (should) the fuel line go through the inside of the car? Is there a known problem that causes petrol smell in the cabin?

I've noticed a smell of petrol in the cabin the day after I've driven the car. There is no smell in the engine bay, under the bonnet or in the garage. It suggests a fuel leak inside the car. Does (should) the fuel line go through the inside of the car? Is there a known problem that causes petrol smell in the cabin?
Yes, the fuel line from the tank to the rear of the car goes through the central 'tunnel' It is not an unkown for that fuel-line (which is probably 50 years old!)_ to have deteriated (possibly by the ethanol in modern fuel) and then leak. It is usually wise to replace that fuel-line with a metal line.

The fuel line from the tank to the tunnel looks quite new. It is marked with "suitable for unleaded" so isn't the original. That's not to say it hasn't deteriorated where it can't be seen. I might just replace it as a precaution.

I've removed the tunnel inspection panels and checked the fuel line along its whole length. It is fairly new, in good condition and dry on the outside. Any other ideas where the fuel smell might come from?

I've removed the tunnel inspection panels and checked the fuel line along its whole length. It is fairly new, in good condition and dry on the outside. Any other ideas where the fuel smell might come from?

You can get fumes from a porous fuel tank, and that can look OK but have hidden corrosion at the bottom.
The filler cap has a very basic breather-valve and it can let out vapour as can the rubber gasket.
There is meant to be a length of steel pipe from the back of the tunnel to the front of the engine-bay and that ill eventually corrode.
If it has a 26IMB carb and is overfuelling at the carburettor, constant drippage from the little pipe on the Bakelite insuator might cause fumes to be drawn in to the cabin via the heater. The same is true of any other weepage of fuel in the engine-bay.
I find that fumes are most noticeable during cooler months and if the fuel level is low.

Back