Technical Fabrication of the wheel arch(s) to accept wider wheels

Currently reading:
Technical Fabrication of the wheel arch(s) to accept wider wheels

Purists look away.

Having restored 4 x 500s to standard form, thought it about time for something a little different.
I’ve been intrigued as to the extent at which one can cut the inner/ outer arches of the standard car to accept wider arches, for a squatter look.

Call me an animal in changing the “ originality “, but the car was far from original, with its new panels etc , of which I’m still redoing a lot of the welding , as the previous owner didn’t deserve a welder.

By cutting the arches, 20mm up from the lip, this obviously reduces the strength of the arch. Once cut , you’re left with a gap around the circumference. This needs re connecting. I’ve been horrified at things I’ve heard as to methods connection
. Slitting, bending is clearly not the best. So with a relatively uniform gap, I purchased a 6mm stainless rod, 1000mms, which when migged retains arch strength .

Having obtained some group 2 fibreglass arches, these will be affixed, preferably without a seam.
Having offered up the new wheel, and approximate placement as to the arch location can be determined. By turning the wheel, it’s key to ensure the middle seam is also well away from tyre rub. Also the in and out at the top wheel movement, which of course can be altered via the camber.

More progress to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_4191.jpeg
    IMG_4191.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4192.jpeg
    IMG_4192.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4193.jpeg
    IMG_4193.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Tidy solution with the 6mm rod.

As you say, there's some truly awful things hiding under many 'wide arch' cars out there, and often cars much more rare and valuable than a 500!

What wheels do you have planned for this to fill those arches? 🙂

These mini lite type.12”.
I also like the look of the red car. But I feel red is quite a well used hue…..but as you can see for good reason

Attachments

• IMG_0435.png
    IMG_0435.png
    9.4 MB · Views: 32
These mini lite type.12”.
I also like the look of the red car. But I feel red is quite a well used hue…..but as you can see for good reason
When I decided to fit wider wheel-arches to my "Abarth 695" replica I decided to have glass-fibre extensions fitted. These were done by a body-shop (who had done it before) whilst I was away racing a yacht across the Atlantic.The wheel-arches were cut back and the inner arch re-welded to the outer wing. The extensions were then bolted on---5 x 5mm button-head Alen-screws each side. I decided on the 'bolt-on ' variety because if for any reason the extension was damaged, there would be an even's chance that the replacement would be a (relatively!) simple bolt-on job, and not a full wing repair. So far I haven't had to test the theory!
Being that I wasn't around when the extension fitment was carried out, I don't know how much the wings were cut back, but I have had the extensions off and measured down from a specific swage-line as to where the cut back is; if any body is thinking of fitting extensions and would like these measurements they have only to ask. [email protected]

….well it turns out the rear arch is slightly more complex.
Having measured the inner and outer it seems cutting the majority of the inner arch needs removing.
Doing it in stages helps. By offering up the wishbone with 126 hub and wheel , (but without spring and shock) one can get the feel of the maximum movement.
There is a strengthening rib midway in line with the rear bulk head running vertically.
The point at which the cutting away need not go any further.

The rear fibreglass arch is not as good fit as the front, but with some fettling I reckon it’ll work.
So the two leaves of metal will need a strip joggled of 1.5mm zintec to connect , another 6mm rod to make a strong joint at the other side with a bit of patience recon it’ll be a neat, yet strong joint.

What I definitely don’t want it to look like is a chocolate orange segment affair!

Attachments

• IMG_4205.jpeg
    IMG_4205.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4206.jpeg
    IMG_4206.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4208.jpeg
    IMG_4208.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4209.jpeg
    IMG_4209.jpeg