Smart cars?

Currently reading:
Smart cars?

They never came out of the factory as convertibles, and those that have been done look pretty shoddy imo.

Edit: For what it's worth, I really don't think you'll like the auto box in the Smart, and seriously think you should give the Beat, Cappucino or Copen a look :)

I have been looking for Copens since you mentioned it, I do like them!

I have been looking for Copens since you mentioned it, I do like them!

Be careful with the copen many of them are well hidden rust buckets, we were looking at them when we bought our punto multijet hgt and found many of them have rust issues especially around the wheel arches front and back, it's a shame because they are nice little fun cars

Fiona,

My partner has just got herself a MCC Smart Passion 600 cc Turbo 2001. £100 a year tax.

The insurance for a 21 year old is £1,300, Compared to me being 23 & £1600 on my 2003 Fiat Seicento.

Now my 2p's worth,

Compared to my 2003 Seicento,

Gear changes are laggy & no power steering.

However it costs my partner £19 to fill to the brim. (compared to my £40-45)

Around town its nice to drive, easy to park, can get in the most tightest of spaces. The thing we have found is, make sure they have been well serviced in the past, the engines are very delicate. If they have not been serviced properly you may encounter problems that may end up being costly.

Make sure you take it for a good drive, around town, up and down hills (make sure it pulls up the hills nicely, and that the turbo kicks in ok)

My partner paid £1995 from a dealer and it comes with a 3 months warranty, my partners has had to go back once, for a oil leak & handbrake adjustment.

All in all make sure you take someone else with you so they are not looking through rose tinted glasses, as they may pick up potential problems you hadn't.

My opinion on smart cars changed once I had drove my partners. Nippy, cheap and funky.

Just be prepared to pay that little extra as they do hold there value!!!!

Good Luck....

Fiona,

My partner has just got herself a MCC Smart Passion 600 cc Turbo 2001. £100 a year tax.

The insurance for a 21 year old is £1,300, Compared to me being 23 & £1600 on my 2003 Fiat Seicento.

Now my 2p's worth,

Compared to my 2003 Seicento,

Gear changes are laggy & no power steering.

However it costs my partner £19 to fill to the brim. (compared to my £40-45)

Around town its nice to drive, easy to park, can get in the most tightest of spaces. The thing we have found is, make sure they have been well serviced in the past, the engines are very delicate. If they have not been serviced properly you may encounter problems that may end up being costly.

Make sure you take it for a good drive, around town, up and down hills (make sure it pulls up the hills nicely, and that the turbo kicks in ok)

My partner paid £1995 from a dealer and it comes with a 3 months warranty, my partners has had to go back once, for a oil leak & handbrake adjustment.

All in all make sure you take someone else with you so they are not looking through rose tinted glasses, as they may pick up potential problems you hadn't.

My opinion on smart cars changed once I had drove my partners. Nippy, cheap and funky.

Just be prepared to pay that little extra as they do hold there value!!!!

Good Luck....

Thank you! I know it isnt going to feel as sexy or luxurious as my Stilo does, but I will still have my sons 1.8 Stilo for the days that I need 5 seats and more luxury. My 1.6 is the biggest engine I have had, I have gone from a Panda, to an Uno to a Mk1 Punto. To me, a car is a luxury (I work from home), and something that needs to be as cheap as possible in all areas.

In addition to that, it will be great to drive across town and not worry if I have strayed into the congestion charge zone, it will be wonderful to know the tax is due and not have to make sacrifices to pay it, my 19 year old is about to take his test and it will be the best insurance option for him. My 25 year old always dates girls miles away and spends a fortune fuelling the 1.8 so all round this will be a huge money saver.

Best news is, the Stilo is sold to a friend of my son, I am driving it over there tomorrow so the search is now officially on :)

I have decided that it must be a RHD and I want a panoramic roof, not a convertible. I considered what Caravadossi said about getting covered in dust and round here I would for sure. Also I would imagine the insurance would be more for a soft top. I was watching a few on ebay yesterday and I think I can get one for between 1500 and 2000. Thats my price range anyway.

I currently pay £34 a month fully comp on a 1.6 Dynamic with no claims protected (15 years) so the insurance will be no issue at all. It will be like the first time I insured a MK1 Panda, £150 fully comp for the year and £15 to fill her up! Those were the days.....

I am thinking buying from a dealer may offer me some protection so that will be the first place I search. So wish me luck and I will update when I have found the right one!

I wouldn't buy one because it's made by Mercedes and I know a lot of people who have had Mercedes and they all broke down and cost an absolute bomb to fix.

I wouldn't buy one because it's made by Mercedes and I know a lot of people who have had Mercedes and they all broke down and cost an absolute bomb to fix.

Fix them yourself. (y)

The engine/rear axle can be removed from the car quite easily. Just lift the body away from it once the bolts are removed.

The engine is a simple 3 pot design, nothing fancy.

I bought one last night. MCC Smart Passion Turbo 600cc. Its a 2000 model which is older than I would have liked but its only got 40,000 miles, FSH and its immaculate inside and out. Its black and silver and has the panoramic roof.

Its also LHD but I drove it home last night and got used to that very quickly. My son is insuring it (I insure the Stilo because my age / NCB make it much cheaper) and he was delighted when his insurance came DOWN by £76 a MONTH.

It doesnt benefit from the £30 a year insurance due to its age but I wont be losing any sleep over that, its still less than the Stilo.

Only downside is that I have given up a new JVC bluetooth headunit and sub in the Stilo for a RADIO in the Smart car. So my mission today is to find a head unit and a sub small enough for the boot. I am going to look for second hand first.

I forgot how much I LOVE driving automatic cars! I love this little car:D

My Mum has a Smart ForFour (the 5 seater hatchback Smart car).

Are they not 4 seaters :confused:

I'm fairly sure the manual boxes only come on the ForFour and they don't do them in convertible...

All semi auto I believe, but could be wrong.

I used to have a white Panda Bianca with a double sunroof. F reg, I loved it at the time but I think I would hate it now lol.

Whys that out of interest :confused:

Just my views / opinions / experience on the subject in hand. A few years back I was looking at fortwo's :)

Mileage wise, always double what's on the clock of an accurate representation on mileage wear in comparison to regular cars. Also the engines are 3 pot, but 6 spark plugs apparently. It's common for only the 3 easy to access plugs to be changed, so if getting one with FSH, ensure that all 6 have always been changed :)

I forgot how much I LOVE driving automatic cars! I love this little car

I'm glad I'm not the only one! Depends on the 'box, of course -- and I have to use one, having been used as target-practice by three other, less careful drivers, in the past... (moan, grumble, moan...) -- but I wouldn't go back...! :)

Strangely enough, the best auto 'box I've ever driven was a Mercedes... -- in an E class a few years ago. (Sorry: but can't say I thought the same of the one in the Smart, though... -- perhaps they've improved...?!) ;)

PS: Congratulations...! (y)

PPS: ...and for ignoring us curmudgeonly b*gg*rs, here on the forum! I knew your heart would win...! :D

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
1.Are they not 4 seaters :confused:

2.All semi auto I believe, but could be wrong.

1. Don't let the name fool you, the ForFour's definitely have five seats, although like most small five seaters having 3 adults in the back is very cramped! (EDIT: A quick look on google and it seems they were sold in both four seat and five seat models so some are only four sets yes.)

2. All Smarts come with the not great semi-auto yes, but the ForFour is the only one that you can order with a manual.

Last edited:
Back