General Small clear oil leak under nearside of engine

Currently reading:
General Small clear oil leak under nearside of engine

Hi

Can anyone help?

Just bought a 1995 Panda Colour, after parking it on the drive I have noticed what i originally thought was a small water leak. On closer inspection it is clear oil.
It is below the nearside of the engine...any ideas?

Thanks
Steph

Steven

Go on the Fiats!
I don't think I've had a Panda that doesn't leak from somewhere. Leaking oil from the rocker cover gasket is a particular Panda favourite.

Steven

Go on the Fiats!
Just to add, unless it's leaking transmission oil I would live with a leak from the engine as long as it's not too bad. It saves you changing oil if you're topping it up every so often.*

* Tip number 8 in Steve's forthcoming book "How Not To Run A Car". (y)

Pandarus

Be careful that it is not a torn driveshaft gaiter as you will be losing gearbox oil. The gearbox oil and engine oil are independent of each other.

Pandarus

Steve said:
Just to add, unless it's leaking transmission oil I would live with a leak from the engine as long as it's not too bad. It saves you changing oil if you're topping it up every so often.*

Sorry Steve, you beat me to it.

Steven

Go on the Fiats!
The driveshaft gaiter. If there is oil leaking from that it will kill your gearbox. Get it sorted asap. Do you have a Haynes or Porter manual? If not then it would be a good investment.

OP
OP
Purple Ronnie
Thanks Steve.

I will get a Haynes manual.
In the mean time where do I check and top up the gearbox oil and which oil is best to use?

Pandarus

Purple Ronnie said:
Thanks Steve.

I will get a Haynes manual.
In the mean time where do I check and top up the gearbox oil and which oil is best to use?

Steph, there's a hexagon plug at the front of the engine bay - bit awkward to get to. You must get the correct transmission oil (or equivalent) Fiat ZC90, I think.

If you can tomorrow, flip your bonnet (for extra light) and pop underneath to have a look at the rubber gaiters for rips. One of my gaiters was torn when I got my Panda last year and I got a garage to fit a new one for about £60 (I'm not as clever as some of the brillian mechanic types on here but I am learning!).

Last edited:

Pandarus

Purple Ronnie said:
Just bought a 1995 Panda Colour, after parking it on the drive I have noticed what i originally thought was a small water leak.

Mean't to say love the Colour edition of the Panda and just luuuurrrve your sun roofs.

Dead envious me - sun roof envy.

OP
OP
Purple Ronnie
Pandarus said:
Steph, there's a hexagon plug at the front of the engine bay - bit awkward to get to. You must get the correct transmission oil (or equivalent) Fiat ZC90, I think.

If you can tomorrow, flip your bonnet (for extra light) and pop underneath to have a look at the rubber gaiters for rips. One of my gaiters was torn when I got my Panda last year and I got a garage to fit a new one for about £60 (I'm not as clever as some of the brillian mechanic types on here but I am learning!).

Thanks Martin, will look tomorrow.