Technical Small amount of play on NS driveshaft at the gearbox end , diff bearings ? Or normal?

Currently reading:
Technical Small amount of play on NS driveshaft at the gearbox end , diff bearings ? Or normal?

valleyboy123

Punto evo 1.4 8v 2010 (20k)
The other day I noticed what I thought was oil leaking out of the gearbox right where the driveshaft enters .
As it turns out it was the gear selector shaft leaking and dipping down on to it , but while I was working out where it was coming from I happened to wiggle the driveshaft cup that enters the gearbox.
It has a few mil of up and down movement and a bit more in and out , the other side felt solid with no real play .
Is this normal as it's the oil side ? Has anyone experienced this on their Punto evo?
Thanks

I had the same problem with the selector shaft leaking on my boy's 2012 1.4 8 valve Punto and, like you, I at first thought it was the driveshaft seal leaking. I even got as far as buying the seal and only realized it was the selector just before I levered out that inner joint! After doing the selector shaft seal I cleaned it all down with brake cleaner and went back in a week or so later just to check that the shaft wasn't leaking too - it wasn't. As I was under there anyway, I remember grabbing the drive shaft itself, not specifically the cup though - and giving it a good push, pull and tug to check for wear in the inner joint. Everything seemed fine and the seal wasn't leaking. I don't remember, it was at least a couple of years ago now, whether there was any play where the shaft enters the box but I'm guessing there shouldn't be because if the shaft didn't run true it would quickly cause the seal to fail. If the circlip - which holds it into the diff - has expanded correctly I don't think you'd find there is any axial (in/out) play?

I had the same problem with the selector shaft leaking on my boy's 2012 1.4 8 valve Punto and, like you, I at first thought it was the driveshaft seal leaking. I even got as far as buying the seal and only realized it was the selector just before I levered out that inner joint! After doing the selector shaft seal I cleaned it all down with brake cleaner and went back in a week or so later just to check that the shaft wasn't leaking too - it wasn't. As I was under there anyway, I remember grabbing the drive shaft itself, not specifically the cup though - and giving it a good push, pull and tug to check for wear in the inner joint. Everything seemed fine and the seal wasn't leaking. I don't remember, it was at least a couple of years ago now, whether there was any play where the shaft enters the box but I'm guessing there shouldn't be because if the shaft didn't run true it would quickly cause the seal to fail. If the circlip - which holds it into the diff - has expanded correctly I don't think you'd find there is any axial (in/out) play?
The drive shaft seal could still be leaking as well , iv planned on doing the gear selector shaft seal this coming weekend as the bits I need are still being delivered. Il then do as you did and clean the whole area .
The movement on the cup might not be noticed by shaking the driveshaft it's self but il try myself a little later.
I'm just wondering about options if the bearing on its way out .
It's obviously gearbox out strip down jobby 🤬

The drive shaft seal could still be leaking as well , iv planned on doing the gear selector shaft seal this coming weekend as the bits I need are still being delivered. Il then do as you did and clean the whole area .
The movement on the cup might not be noticed by shaking the driveshaft it's self but il try myself a little later.
I'm just wondering about options if the bearing on its way out .
It's obviously gearbox out strip down jobby 🤬
Somewhere on here there's a guide for doing the selector seal.

Regards the diff bearing. It would be unusual, much more common to get problems with the gearbox first motion shaft (input shaft) bearing and seal.

Somewhere on here there's a guide for doing the selector seal.

Regards the diff bearing. It would be unusual, much more common to get problems with the gearbox first motion shaft (input shaft) bearing and seal.
Yeah iv seen a few guides for the selector seal they are a big help . Quick question did you take the battery and battery tray off to do yours or will the unit simply angle out the bay once removed?
Just found out the garage next door to my work does gearbox repairs and have a good reputation. Il get them to take a look next week . Il update when I know more . Thanks

If you're worrying about disconnecting the battery and so loosing stored memory - like radio codes etc - then fear not. I've disconnected the battery on both our 2010 Panda and my boy's 2012 Punto and neither misbehaved when reconnected - ie. radios, electric windows and everything else, worked fine.

If you decide to do the job yourself It's not all that difficult - I'd give it 2 "spanners" on the difficulty scale - but apply a little bit of thought to it, like make sure the box is in neutral, don't "welly" into the roll pin too "enthusiastically" as I suppose you could maybe bend the shaft or even break it? and there's a lipped washer which "hides" a retaining clip - easy to do as you just pull the washer back against the spring, but if you don't know the clip is under the washer it might give you "aggro"?

If you're worrying about disconnecting the battery and so loosing stored memory - like radio codes etc - then fear not. I've disconnected the battery on both our 2010 Panda and my boy's 2012 Punto and neither misbehaved when reconnected - ie. radios, electric windows and everything else, worked fine.

If you decide to do the job yourself It's not all that difficult - I'd give it 2 "spanners" on the difficulty scale - but apply a little bit of thought to it, like make sure the box is in neutral, don't "welly" into the roll pin too "enthusiastically" as I suppose you could maybe bend the shaft or even break it? and there's a lipped washer which "hides" a retaining clip - easy to do as you just pull the washer back against the spring, but if you don't know the clip is under the washer it might give you "aggro"?
Yeah just worried about the radio needing a code afterwards. Got a new roll pin , do you think the old E clip will be fine to refit ?

Many posts on the forum about how the Body control module is paired with the radio code so it "remembers" it when power is restored - as long as it's the original radio unit. I was very nervous when we had to do it on my boy's Punto when it's battery failed completely and a new one had to be fitted. Then, when I was working on the Panda and needed to disconnect the battery so I could remove the battery tray, (I think that was when I did the selector seal actually) not being too confident, I connected jump leads from my spare battery so power would be maintained. It wasn't until I'd nearly finished the job that I realized I'd knocked one of the connections off! - DOH! connected the car battery leads back on and everything was Ok. I've since had the batteries on both cars disconnected a number of times, For instance I did a "reconditioning" charge on the old Panda battery in a "semi successful" attempt to reawaken it but then bought a new one anyway, and I thought it sensible to disconnect the car leads before doing the Recond procedure. All Ok when reconnected and also when taking the old batter out and installing the new one.

The other day I noticed what I thought was oil leaking out of the gearbox right where the driveshaft enters .
As it turns out it was the gear selector shaft leaking and dipping down on to it , but while I was working out where it was coming from I happened to wiggle the driveshaft cup that enters the gearbox.
It has a few mil of up and down movement and a bit more in and out , the other side felt solid with no real play .
Is this normal as it's the oil side ? Has anyone experienced this on their Punto evo?
Thanks
Screenshot_20230707-174501.png

Thanks
Iv uploaded a video on to YouTube showing the movement.

Back