Technical Slipping clutch

Currently reading:
Technical Slipping clutch

One of my Grande Puntos has a slipping clutch. It does so in 4th and 5th gear when going up steep hills.

I'm planning on selling it because Its too expensive to be repaired and it is too big a job for me to do myself.

My question is could it be anything else other than a new clutch?

One of my Grande Puntos has a slipping clutch. It does so in 4th and 5th gear when going up steep hills.

I'm planning on selling it because Its too expensive to be repaired and it is too big a job for me to do myself.

My question is could it be anything else other than a new clutch?
I think your diagnosis is on the nail, starts off slipping in 5th, then 4th and so on to the lower gears as it gets worse, coupled with a burning smell like brakes from around the gearbox area.
The revs go up, but speed stays the same.

I think your diagnosis is on the nail, starts off slipping in 5th, then 4th and so on to the lower gears as it gets worse, coupled with a burning smell like brakes from around the gearbox area.
The revs go up, but speed stays the same.
There is a burning smell... it is a shame when a car must go, but oh well, this just means I'll have to get another Grande Punto/Evo/Abarth next year to bring my tally back up to 3 :)

I have not had any personal experience of webuyanycar, however haven't heard that they lived up to their blurb.
They monitor national auction prices and give the average price for each make and model etc. It takes out the uncertainty when selling the car to them, because you just get the average. I'm sure a lot of people would just sell the car privately for more money, but I'm not a seller and don't want the possibility of any agro.

They monitor national auction prices and give the average price for each make and model etc. It takes out the uncertainty when selling the car to them, because you just get the average. I'm sure a lot of people would just sell the car privately for more money, but I'm not a seller and don't want the possibility of any agro.
Probably convenient for many people, though as you say selling privately more money.
Understandable people use it giving the amount of idiots and con merchants you get if you advertise your vehicle online these days.
One of my sisters would sooner send her car to the scrapyard than deal with people like that and she had it from new!

Probably convenient for many people, though as you say selling privately more money.
Understandable people use it giving the amount of idiots and con merchants you get if you advertise your vehicle online these days.
One of my sisters would sooner send her car to the scrapyard than deal with people like that and she had it from new!
I don't blame her, it could be my imagination but I think since covid the world has been a less happy place and the behaviour of many trades worse, it could be the state of the economy too, but those two are linked.

If it only needed a new clutch, you should consider getting the clutch replaced. I think you can't get a decent used car at the cost of a clutch job and there's loads of poorly maintained used Fiats waiting for you. :unsure: :ROFLMAO: And you MIGHT just hit a jackpot, get a nice looking Fiat with a blown headgasket. :eek:

If it only needed a new clutch, you should consider getting the clutch replaced. I think you can't get a decent used car at the cost of a clutch job and there's loads of poorly maintained used Fiats waiting for you. :unsure: :ROFLMAO: And you MIGHT just hit a jackpot, get a nice looking Fiat with a blown headgasket. :eek:
I bought this one as a poorly maintained used Fiat lol. I had a new clutch put in...then the sump leaked oil all over the new clutch and its wore out in about 10,000 miles. I just don't want to spend anymore on it.

I buy my used Fiat cars from the auction - my EVO needed just a tyre and is good as gold! The GP i'm currently working on has a good engine, clutch and gearbox but the maintenance hasn't been the best and it was previously owned by a Learner driver...GAH!! They scraped it along every wall possible LOL,

slipping clutch. It does so in 4th and 5th gear when going up steep hills.
My panda (same gearbox) had the same symptoms - only slipping under heavy load like trying (trying) to accelerate uphill.

Turned out to be the crankshaft main rear seal that had failed, contaminating the clutch plate.

Mine wasn't losing oil, but the outside of the bottom of the bell housing was wet with engine oil.

Input shaft bearing failure is quite common on these 'boxes too, which can leak transmission oil into the bell housing.

There's an inspection window on the top of the bell housing. If you stick a finger in and it comes out oily, then you'll know something is leaking. Transmission oil has quite a distinctive strong smell too.

Either case would mean gearbox off to repair, with a new clutch of course.

Attachments

• panda clutch 01.jpg
    panda clutch 01.jpg
    990.4 KB · Views: 27
My panda (same gearbox) had the same symptoms - only slipping under heavy load like trying (trying) to accelerate uphill.

Turned out to be the crankshaft main rear seal that had failed, contaminating the clutch plate.

Mine wasn't losing oil, but the outside of the bottom of the bell housing was wet with engine oil.

Input shaft bearing failure is quite common on these 'boxes too, which can leak transmission oil into the bell housing.

There's an inspection window on the top of the bell housing. If you stick a finger in and it comes out oily, then you'll know something is leaking. Transmission oil has quite a distinctive strong smell too.

Either case would mean gearbox off to repair, with a new clutch of course.
I'm going to look for the inspection window out of interest, I had no idea there is likely to be one.

The sump was leaking right under the main rear crankshaft seal, the seal itself is ok, but I basically thought oh its only a little leak i'll ignore that...and by the time I got the sump done it was too late for the new clutch.

Isn't clutch a fairly cheap? Something like a $100? I will not sell the car if that is only major issue.

Back