Technical Clutch slave cylinder

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch slave cylinder

Cargaard

Hi everybody. How can you be totally sure that the internal (concentric) slave cylinder is gone? I have a 2007 t-jet Grande Punto 120 hp. Suddenly I can not shift into gear when engines running. No loss of fluid. The clutch pedal is somewhat soft closest to the bottom, but otherwise acting normally. From what I can read, the most likely reason is that the slave cylinder is gone. But with an internal slave cylinder it would be nice to know this is really the reason.

Is there an inspection port/window (rubber square plug) on the gearbox housing (bell)?
Like in older, regular (for non-turbo engines) "transmissions" (like C510 or C514)?
Put there USB inspection camera, boroscope. See if there's a leak. And if it's moving at all (full stroke). Diaphragm spring should be visible too (damage).

Plus. Are you equipped with basic hydraulics testing kit? Like external or spare pump. Various connectors, adapters, to measure the pressure in the system?

Hi GrandePunto PL. Thanks for quick response. In fact, there is an inspection port like you describe. I will find my inspection camera tomorrow and have a look inside. I quess it is quite visible if there is a leak - and I can try to see if something is moving when operating the clutch pedal. But the diaphragm spring - what is that specifically - and can I only see it, if something is wrong?

Unfortunately, I do not have a basic hydraulics testing kit. Meaning I can not measure pressure in the system. But I will try the other things tomorrow.

Ahh, the diaphragm spring must be the spring behind the rubber surface. And it will be visible, if there is a hole (damage). Is that it?

Today I looked at the slave cylinder with the inspection camera. There was no leaks and it moved normally when the clutch pedal was activated. Still I can only get the in gear when the engine is off. I got the car started in first gear and managed to drive the car to my own garage. Afterwards the clutch smelled rather bad. Now I plan to bleed the brakes to see if that will help. It looks like its not possible to bleed the slave cylinder - although there is a sort of nipple on the hose?? Anybody with a better idea??

Back