Technical Cylinder 1 Misfire - Help?! P0301

Currently reading:
Technical Cylinder 1 Misfire - Help?! P0301

Masamoose

Hey, have a 2010 Fiat Punto Grande Sound on a 1.4 engine.

Did a 200 mile drive recently and towards the end I noticed a slight judder / rock in the engine whilst stationary.
Next day drove to the local shop, and had the engine judder again but more heavily whilst doing 20 in third gear.
Day after engine management light came on, solid amber.

Plugged it into the diagnostics and has come back with this -

P0300 [0x0300]
Random/multiple cylinder(s) - misfire detected
----------------------------
P0301 [0x0301]
Cylinder 1 - misfire detected

The misfire seems to be intermittent. I've replaced the coil pack and cleared code but it's come back straight away. Last service was two years ago.
Could it be spark plugs or cable? Unfortunately they're too short to swap over on the coil pack. And I'd need to get tools if I were to have a go..

Someone mentioned the possibility of a coil pack / ecu failure but from my research this is on the Mk2 models with a 2 cylinder misfire? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Please let me know if there's anything else i should check. If it's something I can do myself before taking it to a mechanic, then I'd rather do that!

If you can't figure out what to do and need forum help = let mechanic do this.

The very first thing you do in case of misfire is to remove and check visually the plugs (not swapping coils!).

Ignition system can and should be diagnosed (oscilloscope). No parts swapping.

Misfire can be caused by fuel system (injectors) and/or timing, valves (8V has manual "lash" adjustment, shims).

Masamoose, you should probably only change the spark cables, but as a precaution with this it is recommeneded to also put new sparkplugs since they are very cheap and you can only improve situation with replacing them too. I only tell you that there is high probability that your problem is in cables as an added bonus, but every mechanic would put also new sparkplugs.
The coil is okay for sure, also the first one was okay(now we know for sure), usually when its the coil engine light blinks 3 times and your ecu also tells you about it.
Btw missfire doesnt neccessery mean it was fired at wrong time, it may also mean it wasnt fired at all, and usually its spark or cable, but if it is sometimes happening and sometimes not, then it is more probability for cable, because it depends on vibration, once when it can your spark jumps out in middle of your cable out to something metalic grounded near - part of engine. But when a spark plug is bad it constantly doesnt work..

Anyway... Happy to help 😁

also yes, as above mentioned the coil is better to be swaped last, since this first two cases are more common to happen and they have constant engine light on dashboard and the coil has a blinking engine light which you didnt had...

Back