Technical 1.4 T-Jet, p0301 (cil 1 misfire), loss of power, at wits end.

Currently reading:
Technical 1.4 T-Jet, p0301 (cil 1 misfire), loss of power, at wits end.

Bizzle

Hi guys,

My apologies for my first post being questions, but I hope to find a shining light on what may be the issue, or maybe the car has to be totaled.

I bought it in May, a 2007 sport model, ran fine although sometimes it had rough idle for the first 20secs. Power was good and didnt get a hiccup. It had a p0301 (cil 1 misifre) once when I pushed it when cold, it stalled.

Last weekend I was driving home and I suddenly lost power trying to go above 110kmh. Shaking and engine light, same error core. I limped it home. Since then it also doesn't sound quite right when dricing / idling (only for testing). No knocking but tapping / camshaft noise I think (not sure). Also worth mentioningrg: last oil replace had a few big oarts of metal in it, but not bearing material. Was adviced to change the oil again and keep driving as it ran fine. So I did that.

What I have done:
Changed al the spark plug (ngk iridum as spec).
Replaced cil 1 lead.
Swapped all plugs & leads but the code stays the same: misfire cylinder one.
Checked compression cil 1: 170, cil 2: 185 (didnt check the other yet, seems fine.
Spark cil 1 sometimes seems good, sometimes didn't, so:
Changed the Ecu ( after all this I figured this had to be it, but no such luck).

I'm at my wits end. I can swap injectors maybe but otherwise I'm getting ready to tow it to my friend who owns a shop. I was hoping to find any insights here and hope the car is not lost.

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance.

B

Well Im no expert, but we had something similar with our panda and it was muck in the inlet manifold fouling the MAP sensor. I removed the throttle body and was just going to clean it, when I notoced yellow sludge in the manifold. I cleaned this and the sensor and it was back to normal. Worth takimg a torch and looking down through the throttle body. The problem on mine was / is oil mist from teh crank case passing through the breather intp the manifold. I have fitted a catch can on the breather pipe and the problem has been eliminated. Do a compression test on No1 as well jus tin case you have a valve, piston ring or head gasket problem. I would expect other symptoms if the head gasket had failed like loss of water, If the MAP snesor stops working the car will go a bit mad You should not have metal bit in the oil so it does sound like something has brokem driving further will make it much worse if this is the case

Hey @The Panda Nut : thanks for the info. I actually replaced the Map filter near the intake as I had a bad temp reading a couple of months ago, and cleaned the other one. It had some oily residu on it from the EGR I think. Compression test showed OK results, which was confusing. I towed it to a friends garage yesterday because I'm somewhat out of time as I get the keys to a new house in about a week (great timing). Also the engine started rattling more, so I'm scared it's something mechanical with the camshaft / valves (although again, compression seemed OK).

Anyway I'll let him know. Thanks for the help, I hope I'll be able to fix it.

Back