Sig sizes

Currently reading:
Sig sizes

chrisunoman

Prominent member
I think we should have a maximum sig size, say a maximum height and width, like they do on some forums.

I dont mean to be a kill joy or anything, but peoples sigs are getting sooooo massive that its getting hard to read some threads and soon we are going to be getting one reply per page!

What do you reckon Ben?

dave said:
thats strange, it dont do that here :confused:
see, it's not so bad :) I'm runing on 1024x768 now that new drivers are out for my plasma.

davesbigwideass.jpg

sammiboo said:
Koa have you got your screen set to traditional?
Ah I always wondered what that option did. Cheers Sammi (y) Sorted now ;)

serin said:
is that all you got? :eek:

you wanna bigger screen mate :p

1400*1050 (y)
lol, mate i'm running it on a 36inch plasma screen with native 1024x768 progressive resolution :D I sit about 8 feet away from the tele so if I did go any higher with the resolution it would make the text way too small for me :) And because I do a lot of work on the PC i really need to keep it in this mode and my games also look incredible :D

EDIT : Now I have seen this, it looks like we all need wider sigs... not sure which I prefer now :cry:

I've now set my screen to full screen mode! (y) It's taking some getting used to though! :p Defiantely makes the sigs smaller & therefore the page seems to load quicker! (y)

I can't believe you guys never used full screen mode before - I think when this site was being tested, it was one of my suggestions before the swap over from Snitz [which had a full screen mode as well].

I can't believe it's actually an option, it surely should have been default. That way all the sigs would end up pretty much the same size and make the forum look smarter :) .

Not too certain about this as I have not looked into the full details of whats actually done. But after all the stuff we had about sig sizes, I see a LOT of people have the sloganizer sigs.

Surely hyperlinking is gonna have a worse effect on the speed of the forum than a slighlty large sig ? I have noticed over the last week or so that the forum is running slower and getting quite a few errors. Maybe there's a reason for them ?

Just my tupence worth :)

There shouldn't in theory be an issue with any sloganiser signatures since they are all pretty small files sizes, the only delay will be in contacting the sloganiser website, which is the same as contacting a third party such as photobucket.

Since more people have obviously started having graphical signatures following the idea of sloganiser being put forward to the forum, it may mean slower downloads, but nobody can say they are in the wrong since their signatures are not worse or better than other graphical threads.

But surely the forum will be taking a certain amount of extra load. If the sloganizer servers are getting bogged down then surely the request sent from the forum to the server will keep getting pinged back therefore causing some kind of delay to the forum :confused:

It's like that in a lot of games that use internet play so I'm guessing it won't be much different with web pages, and the more people that sign up for the sloganizer the greater the chance of this ?

As I said, it was just a theory as to the forums strange behaviour as of late.

Well you could say the same about the host of your sig (FF) and photobucket (where I host most my pictures). The thing is, AFAIK, the only reason why the site may take longer to load is because more people have graphical signatures. Are the slogans dynamic, i.e. do they change each time? I guess it could cause a slight slow down if their computer has to come up with the next slogan compared to a fixed image.

The Negotiator said:
Well you could say the same about the host of your sig (FF) and photobucket (where I host most my pictures). The thing is, AFAIK, the only reason why the site may take longer to load is because more people have graphical signatures. Are the slogans dynamic, i.e. do they change each time? I guess it could cause a slight slow down if their computer has to come up with the next slogan compared to a fixed image.

They change every 30 seconds, so are always updating.

Back