Show and Shine

Currently reading:
Show and Shine

my car is built to be driven, not look nice....it's handsome in a rough and ready sort of way, but here it is with a shine

IMG_0082.jpg

enjoy, it'll never happen again :laugh:

Ok then, so spent over 2hrs washing Dubster today, he was pretty dirty.

P1030691.jpg

Started off with the Intence Tar Remover as had tar from Saturday on the bodywork, after driving along a road in Irvine which was getting resurfaced & there was NO warning untill approx 200yds before the resurfacing works.
So applied small amount of Tar remover onto a Rag & gently worked it in to remove the tar.

Next came the Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner. 2 cup fulls into hot water also had 3 sponges for cleaning the car...

Then it was a case of rinse it off.
Out comes the old Karcher Pressure washer from the bunker, & got the
bodywork rinsed.
P1030692.jpg

I took the photo after I had finished just as the blue hose connector sperated itself from the garden hose.

Next Custom Wheel Cleaner, sprayed all round the Alloy, doing 1 Alloy at a time.
Using both brushes supplied, small 1 to get in around the wheel bolts, then the larger brush to get in at the spokes & all around the alloy.
And again rinse & allowed to dry.

Then on with the Super Resin Polish applyed with a Microfibre cloth, followed by a bit of Paint Renovater.

Once that was all done out with the best stuff HD Wax.
Applyed all over the body & waited 15mins for it to dry, so started washing the Doblo.

Once the Wax had dryed I used the Finishing Cloth to bring out the shine in the Paintwork.
P1030693.jpg

P1030694.jpg

P1030695.jpg

P1030696.jpg

P1030697.jpg

Nice work Andi, looks the business :) You'll have to keep it up now, as you've given it some good protection the next wash shouldn't be so labour intensive. Are you going to layer another coat of HD on top?

Just a note on the method you've mentioned, most of the pro's would wash the car first then apply the tar remover to the tar spots. This allows the shampoo to soften up the tar a little and also prevents you from rubbing any other dirt into the paint work.

The paint renovator sounds quite a harsh product on the AG website, is that something you've just used on badly scratched areas?

good work andi

im cleaning the cinq this weekend....well, i'll maybe show it a sponge :laugh: no point making it gleaming, the bodyworks too tatty, it'd just highlight the faded bits, chips, peeled lacquer and rust bubbles :laugh:

muppet42 said:
Looks good mate, think mine needs a bit of a wash - shall maybe take advantage of the decent weather soon :)

Cheers Rob.
Made the most of a day off, changed the front pads earlier in the day & had a look at the rear shoes..... O/S's wearing down faster then the N/S.... hmmmm

richard33dees said:
Nice work Andi, looks the business :) You'll have to keep it up now, as you've given it some good protection the next wash shouldn't be so labour intensive. Are you going to layer another coat of HD on top?

Just a note on the method you've mentioned, most of the pro's would wash the car first then apply the tar remover to the tar spots. This allows the shampoo to soften up the tar a little and also prevents you from rubbing any other dirt into the paint work.

The paint renovator sounds quite a harsh product on the AG website, is that something you've just used on badly scratched areas?

Cheers Rich. Car will probs get another was on Saturday weather depending of course.
Paint Renovater is to try & hide a few scratches & bring out the shine in the paint.
Mrcento said:
good work andi

im cleaning the cinq this weekend....well, i'll maybe show it a sponge :laugh: no point making it gleaming, the bodyworks too tatty, it'd just highlight the faded bits, chips, peeled lacquer and rust bubbles :laugh:

Well I know what you mean there, I was like that with the Sei, maybee got washed once evrye 2 weeks at a Jet Wash, never stayed clean long enough.

YcMing said:
Take a machine polisher to it. You will be surprise :) .

When am not skint i need to invest in some of these HD WAX!!! Andi can i try it when ur free :D ? Bring it down :) ?

If the weather's decent on Sat I could come over with the Cleaning bits... & maybee have to use your machine polisher.... clean the GP & your Cappo.

Ag Paint renovater is the weakest cutting compound on the market. detarring after a wash is fine a home but not a pro method. since dampness repellss the solvents that dissolve the tar adding time. Top tip use tar and glue and pressure wash of as you would the dirt.

Venters said:
Ag Paint renovater is the weakest cutting compound on the market. detarring after a wash is fine a home but not a pro method. since dampness repellss the solvents that dissolve the tar adding time. Top tip use tar and glue and pressure wash of as you would the dirt.

I can only comment from what I have read, but if it's good enough for Polished Bliss, Autobrite Direct and several other paid detailers then it's pro enough for me. Maybe I should have added that some would dry the car following the wash then de-tarred using de-tarring product and a microfibre. Whilst processes vary, this seems to me as the most common mentioned on DW

Venters said:

richard33dees said:
I can only comment from what I have read, but if it's good enough for Polished Bliss, Autobrite Direct and several other paid detailers then it's pro enough for me. Maybe I should have added that some would dry the car following the wash then de-tarred using de-tarring product and a microfibre. Whilst processes vary, this seems to me as the most common mentioned on DW

I take onboard your comments guys & wil defo use those methods for next time.

Only reason I used the Tarremover first Stew is due to the tar around the bottom of the bumper I had already used it on the bodywork, but that had been 2days before I washed the car so the tar had time to settle.

richard33dees said:

i hate the term detailer. Suppose it's the problem with the influence of the American language on real English. :(
also I've been doing paid valeting since most on here thought a hard on was for pissing over Walls. :p
but if you have the time rather than trying to run a business. I just prefer to work smart instead of hard when possible.

Venters said:
i hate the term detailer. Suppose it's the problem with the influence of the American language on real English. :(
also I've been doing paid valeting since most on here thought a hard on was for pissing over Walls. :p
but if you have the time rather than trying to run a business. I just prefer to work smart instead of hard when possible.

lol, that tickled my fancy. yes sadly americanisms are getting all too common.

Bumpity bump :D

many of you saw my car last Saturday looking all shiny and clean courtesy of Mr V and his hard-working mate. What none of you saw was the before state of the car and I thought I'd show you just how challenging it was to get my car looking good again.

Before

Check out all the little tar specks - it was worse than last year :sad:

023.jpg

The fly-massacre

027.jpg

Finished result :D

028.jpg

Where's Venters :laugh:

030.jpg

Hiding behind a very impressive beard but let's not go there...

Unfortunately the good times don't last and the car is back to it's usual filthy state :sad:

20130601_172637.jpg

Ach well, I'll maybe clean it tomorrow...

steve119 said:
I did my boot with tar glue remover, and then hand polished the car leaving bits of polish everywhere.

Decided I should maybe purchase a polisher, polishing by hand is sooo time consuming lol

That's precisely why I'm too chicken to try polishing the car myself. I should probably learn though as I suspect a decent layer of polish is the only way to stop the tar from sticking in the first place. They fixed the potholes on the road leading to my work yesterday in the usual half-arsed way and I couldn't decide if it was a good thing or bad thing. Yay no more potholes but oh **** more tar to attach itself to the paintwork

Back