Styling Shell V power

Currently reading:
Styling Shell V power

Tesco 99 and Shell V Power Optimax are both 99 octane.

All Pandas will run smoother and pull better on higher octane fuel. The OEM power figures are taken using 97 octane. Some say there is no point on a low powered car. I would say the 1.1 and 1.2 need all the help they can get.

As there is little or no cost difference on the higher octane you might as well use it and drive a smoother running car.

Tesco 99 and Shell V Power Optimax are both 99 octane.

All Pandas will run smoother and pull better on higher octane fuel. The OEM power figures are taken using 97 octane. Some say there is no point on a low powered car. I would say the 1.1 and 1.2 need all the help they can get.

As there is little or no cost difference on the higher octane you might as well use it and drive a smoother running car.

isn't upping the RON going the wrong way.

1.1 2003 compression 9.6:1

https://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=114796

As per link above

95 Octane
Gasoline with this octane number is known in Indonesia under the brands Pertamax Plus (produced by Pertamina), Super Extra (produced by Shell), and Primax (produced by Petronas). This type of gasoline is advisable for car engines with compression ratios of 11:1 to 12:1

When engine with low compression ratio is given higher octane gasoline, it will be wasteful because the fuel won’t combust optimally, creates minimum power but with maximum pollution. Lower octane fuel evaporates and burns easily compared to that of higher octane number.

isn't upping the RON going the wrong way.

1.1 2003 compression 9.6:1

https://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=114796

As per link above

95 Octane
Gasoline with this octane number is known in Indonesia under the brands Pertamax Plus (produced by Pertamina), Super Extra (produced by Shell), and Primax (produced by Petronas). This type of gasoline is advisable for car engines with compression ratios of 11:1 to 12:1

When engine with low compression ratio is given higher octane gasoline, it will be wasteful because the fuel won’t combust optimally, creates minimum power but with maximum pollution. Lower octane fuel evaporates and burns easily compared to that of higher octane number.
I'm not sure where they get that from?
Higher octane fuel won't burn less completely when used in a lower compression engine

At least I've never heard anything like the before in my life

I'm not sure where they get that from?
Higher octane fuel won't burn less completely when used in a lower compression engine.

Petrol/gasoline fuels all burn completely and they all contain the same energy per litre. The issue is the rate of combustion and liability explode rather than burning rapidly. Low octane fuels burn less reliably than high octane. They are more prone to pre-ignition - engine knock.

Low compression engines will happily use low octane fuels because the heat of compression is not enough to trigger pre-ignition. When the spark fires the fuel burns normally. Higher compression engines will knock when the spark fires (or in some before the spark happens). Spark timing is retarded mechanically or in modern engines by using a knock sensor so the ECU can choose the best setting.

Ideally the spark should fire before the piston reached top dead centre. This allows time for combustion and creates maximum pressure just as the piston starts to move downwards. On today's car engines, this only happens on 97 RON or higher octane fuels. 99 octane might advance the spark even more but its' hard to say if a Panda can use 99 more effectively than 97.

A late firing spark avoids engine knock but puts more heat down the exhaust as less energy is transferred to the piston before the exhaust valve opens. This is what gives the sluggish power feeling when using cheaper fuels. France for example has 87 octane which demands even more retard giving truly awful fuel consumption.

In ECU controlled engine, the default fueling is rich and spark timing is low octane late. This allows the engine to cold start and heats the catalyst more quickly. When the engine is warm enough the O2 sensors are switched in and the spark timing is advanced according to the knock sensor.

Last edited:
Your average punter driver will not be interested in technical information, he will fill up his tank & see what's what, then he will make his assessment based on his own findings, this generally will make up his mind whether he keeps using it or not...;) Not all, but this is generally the case.

As I said earlier these threads tend to drag on.;)

Your average punter driver will not be interested in technical information, he will fill up his tank & see what's what, then he will make his assessment based on his own findings, this generally will make up his mind whether he keeps using it or not...;) Not all, but this is generally the case.

As I said earlier these threads tend to drag on.;)

Lol and there will always be people who believe that the super expensive fuel is a waste of money, and those who believe it gives them 60 extra horse power makes the engine cleaner, lighter, stronger, more economical etc etc. No one has anyway of proving the fact either way as no one is willing to except their own confirmation bias..... that’s why these drag on

Lol and there will always be people who believe that the super expensive fuel is a waste of money, and those who believe it gives them 60 extra horse power makes the engine cleaner, lighter, stronger, more economical etc etc. No one has anyway of proving the fact either way as no one is willing to except their own confirmation bias..... that’s why these drag on

Spot on Andy. I do like to look at things holistically:)

Posh petrol makes the car feel nicer enough to drive to make me use it. I believe it is cost neutral though it might give a small saving.

The BMW R1200 boxer motorbike was sluggish on 95 RON but absolutely horrible on Morrisons carp. I was forced to fill up there because I had refused to pay motorways prices. It stalled twice before I got off the forecourt. The bike felt like it was hauling a caravan. I got home with about 1/2 the tank used and went straight to Tesco for some 99. The fuel consumption was at least 10% down on the usual.

Hi All

Now here's a different take on things.

I use 99 ron in our garden machinery(mower and chainsaw), for the simple reason that after 4/6 months sat in the mower or a petrol can the fuel degrades and it becomes more difficult to start them, Saying that the chainsaw is super lively on 99 ron in the first month or so. Last time i got fuel it was only £1.13 per litre for the tesco 99 so not much difference and it saves me multiple pulls on the start rope.

Tim

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned ethanol yet, because that's the elephant in the room when comparing fuels.

Adding ethanol reduces the specific energy content of the fuel, and shortens its shelf life. E5 petrol sold in the UK can contain up to 5% ethanol, but individual batches may contain less, or even none at all. Generally it is added very late in the distribution cycle, because of the shelf life issue.

Some say that the super unleaded fuels are more likely to be blended with less ethanol, that in itself will give a small but probably noticeable improvement in both performance and economy.

Varying percentages of ethanol mean that the same fuel purchased on different days, or from different outlets, or in different regional areas, may perform differently and deliver different mpg figures.

Last edited:
Hi again :D

i was trying to think how to describe the way my Panda drives now with V power in and i cant come up with a word other than `smoother`

Theres lots of factors within this topic like price , engine care ,what the garage man says or the bloke down the pub says etc ,etc

might change my forum name forum name from antonio1960 to Mr Smooooooth :D

anyway take care everyone

Ethanol (C2H5OH) has an OH group so it contains oxygen atoms which will be separated during combustion. This will help to make it burn more smoothly despite the poorer energy per litre.

Biodiesel (methyl ester) has similar OH groups. Driven carefully the engine has the same mpg as on petro diesel. Driven hard you do notice the slight increase in consumption The esters have about 5% less energy per litre than petro diesel.

Gasoline 33,867 MJ/m​3
Diesel 37,184 MJ/m​3
Ethanol 23,278 MJ/m​3

5% ethanol wont make much energy difference per litre of fuel, but the oxygen may well help the burn go more smoothly.

Back