Technical She won't start!

Currently reading:
Technical She won't start!

O my gosh i'm in for an expensive month the way things are going!
Service due, new tyres needed and then today the b decides not to start.

It began yesterday. The car would not start on the first go, but then started fine on second go. It has never done this before and always started fine first time. It did the same thing this morning, only starting on second go, then this evening when I left to come home from work it wouldn't start at all. She turns over fine, but there is no sign of the engine catching. I tried about 8 times and had given up and was just about to phone RAC. One last try and she started - sounding fine, not spluttering or anything. When I got home I turned off the engine and tried to start it again and it wouldn't start.

Any ideas anyone? I will have to ring the garage tomorrow but I don't know whether I will have to get this sorted out first or just book it in for the service and ask them to look at both at the same time...

xs

Oh dear, you are not having a great time at the moment eh?

Sounds like it could be the immobiliser? iirc you had a similar problem in the past?

If its turning over fine then that rules out a dodgy earth, if its not spluttering once its going its probably not a coil pack issue - could be a fuel pump on the way out, potentially (but unlikely) the temp switch on the thermostat body, slim possibility there is a problem with the throttle assembly but this usually shows up as starting and then cutting out or not ticking over well.

Have to say I would guess at immobiliser issue (not uncommon) or dodgy fuel pump (also not uncommon).

I will have another think and let you know if I can come up with anything else.

Last edited:
Me taught to drive by ex-Indian Cavalry Recce Troop commander and qualified instructor on everything from motorbikes to bren carriers to tank transporters. Taught to double de-clutch etc and essential maintenance. Thus:

1. is it the plugs i.e. are they coked up - do you give her a good thrashing on a regular basis?

2. are the HT leads in good nick (the wires from the plugs to the coil). Easy & relatively cheap to renew

In damp conditions, 2 alone can cause bad starting.

If these are not the culprit, follow LRBs advice above....

Richard

Look at the immobiliser first, mine had the very same thing, my friendly spanner man (brother in law) fixed it not sure how though.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I hadn't thought about the security system. I've called home and asked Mike to try the master keys to see if that makes any difference - I wondered if it could be something to do with my everyday keys chip ?

If thats a no go I'll have a look later to see if there is anything obvious and if no good will have to call the garage and try bump starting it to get it there.

LRB if its the fuel pump is that expensive?

I drove to work in Mikes corsa, omg! it was horrible driving a rhd after all this time! I had absolutely no awareness of how close I was to parked cars and kept banging my hand on the door for gear changes.

xs

It took my ages to get used to my girlfriend's RHD BMW.

I don't know much about mechanics and everyone has suggested what I was thinking. I replaced a fuel pump on an old car I had. It was easy and inexpensive. I think the part was about £40. That was a long while ago though.

I had problems with coils on my old Stilo. Replaced loads of them.

Hope you find the problem and it turns out to be something easy.

O my gosh i'm in for an expensive month the way things are going!
Service due, new tyres needed and then today the b decides not to start.

It began yesterday. The car would not start on the first go, but then started fine on second go. It has never done this before and always started fine first time. It did the same thing this morning, only starting on second go, then this evening when I left to come home from work it wouldn't start at all. She turns over fine, but there is no sign of the engine catching. I tried about 8 times and had given up and was just about to phone RAC. One last try and she started - sounding fine, not spluttering or anything. When I got home I turned off the engine and tried to start it again and it wouldn't start.

Any ideas anyone? I will have to ring the garage tomorrow but I don't know whether I will have to get this sorted out first or just book it in for the service and ask them to look at both at the same time...

xs

I'm having the exact same problem. She always starts, but rarely first time. No other problems what so ever. I've just had a full service, so it's not the plugs or anything. I would guess it's either the immobiliser or RPM sensor. I doubt it's the fuel pump as that would surely cause problems when the car was running.

Could try putting some fuel line and injector cleaner in the fuel tank.

Unplug the fuel line from the fuel rail and turn over the car to see if its a fuel delivery issue.

Check the air filter box has not come open.

Clean the air intake butterfly valve.

Check no water has got into the plugs

In the throttle body. It's where the air goes near the top of the engine compartment towards the windscreen and slightly right :)

Take off the pipe marked by the red box.

Attachments

• jim.jpg
    jim.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 54
Shelxs, did you ever fix the problem?

Mine is still a pain in the ass to start. It's not the fuel pump, because I can hear it working with I start the ignition. It's not the chip in the key, because I've tried all the different keys. It's not a problem in the throttle body, as I've just cleaned it and made doubly sure it's good. I two bottles of Forté Gas Cleaner and Injector Cleaner through it.

What I did notice - when I removed the air filter and extension pipe to clean the throttle body, it started every ****ing time (About 8 times in a row - no problem). After refitting the air filter and extension pipe, I couldn't start her - it took 5-6 attempts before she fired up. Of course, it could just be coincidence, but it seems to point to a bad electrical connection around the throttle body.

Anyone got other ideas? This is driving me crazy, and I don't have the money to get her to a garage. What I would like to know is how do I diagnose a immobiliser problem? Or a fuel pump issue?

Tony

Last edited:
Hi Tony

Yes my problem seems to be sorted, touch wood!

I know this sounds unlikely, but the garage told me not to have more than one key with me in the car as they thought the chips were interfering with each other.

I had both the key with the round blue/silver end and the key with just the blue end on my keyring. Since I took the blue key off it has started every time but I've also had a service so it may be that something they did as part of the service sorted out the problem.

It does sound like your problem could be immobiliser. Do you have more than one key on your key ring?

xs

Shelxs, did you ever fix the problem?

Mine is still a pain in the ass to start. It's not the fuel pump, because I can hear it working with I start the ignition. It's not the chip in the key, because I've tried all the different keys. It's not a problem in the throttle body, as I've just cleaned it and made doubly sure it's good. I two bottles of Forté Gas Cleaner and Injector Cleaner through it.

What I did notice - when I removed the air filter and extension pipe to clean the throttle body, it started every ****ing time (About 8 times in a row - no problem). After refitting the air filter and extension pipe, I couldn't start her - it took 5-6 attempts before she fired up. Of course, it could just be coincidence, but it seems to point to a bad electrical connection around the throttle body.

Anyone got other ideas? This is driving me crazy, and I don't have the money to get her to a garage. What I would like to know is how do I diagnose a immobiliser problem? Or a fuel pump issue?

Tony

Try the simple fixes first. When was the air filter last changed?

I have the same problem there are times she will start immediatelly and there are times she won't start at all.

I found a trick that makes her start EVERY time but i don't know how to explain it.

I turn the key normaly to ingnition and when she doesen't start i sliiiiiightly turn the key backwards and Voila!!! she turns on like a charm.

Of course sometimes i turn it a little bit more end i end up hearing the ingition making that hssssssssssssssss noise! frightening :eek:

can someone explain why is this happening?

Back