Sharepoint or IIS problem?

Currently reading:
Sharepoint or IIS problem?

Papa P

aka PuntoSporting
I'm on-call for my wrk at the moment and was paged because one of the wards couldnt access the Intranet site from any of the PCs.

Our intranet site is hosted on a clustered Sharepoint group, but the curious thing is I could access it from my machine on another site. I then tried from one a server on the same site as the ward and it worked fine!

I was then paged by 3 wards on yet another site separate from the first to say they also couldnt access it. I checked with other wards on each site and they were all fine.

I restarted the IIS Service on all of the clustered machines..but that didnt make any difference!

I've given up! They can wait till one of the sharepoint gurus fix it in the morning, but does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

We've recently had a spate of randomness with all our windows servers after I unleashed a shed load of windows updates via WSUS :eek::eek:

We had the service IPSEC running on loads of things changed it to manual and stopped it this fixed our random errors with varying services including IIS and Sharepoint.

We've recently had a spate of randomness with all our windows servers after I unleashed a shed load of windows updates via WSUS :eek::eek:

We had the service IPSEC running on loads of things changed it to manual and stopped it this fixed our random errors with varying services including IIS and Sharepoint.

:yeahthat:

I take it all the wards on the same site are on the same Subnet/IP range? The reason I ask is one of the only ways this sort of thing could happen from server side is Access Control within IIS.

The other way is Group / User permissions within Sharepoint itself. Are the different wards members of different groups? or in different OU's perhaps.

If all checks out I'd be inclined to say its a client side problem. Like jenks69 says check the windows update history to check for recent ones that went on within 24hrs or so of the problem arising.

Good luck, I know from painful personal experience how dodgy Sharepoint can be (you can probably find some threads/posts on here about me complaining about it lol).

Oh I forgot all about this thread!

Well it turns out there was a major problem with the indexing of the Sharepoint databases...and possibly with the clustering as well. From what I've been told, Microsoft Engineers spent a whole day trying to sort it for us!

But to be honest, I dont think anyone will have bothered checking with the wards that were affected to see if theyre still working lol

Back