Technical Servo cover rusted through

Currently reading:
Technical Servo cover rusted through

GrandePop

I have just discovered this problem on my grande punto and hope to get it fixed asap.im getting slight damp on carpet to the passanger rear and have had a wet heater motor.in one of the guides it says to remove wipers but I'm not that technically minded to attempt it ?.I've seen one forum member cut the fabric inside the engine bay and do it that way, I was hoping to do the same.cut the fabric and just seal around the wiper motor hatch and then wire brush the brake servo area, spray with anti corrosion paint and seal over the top. I'm not really bothered about the looks of the engine bay, yes I'd like to stop the rust but i know this is going to be an ongoing issue, I just need to stop any leaks.I was wondering if the fabric had another purpose or is it just sound proofing material.many thanks

You've probably got 2 issues.... One being the rusted servo plate the other being blocked scuttle drains....

Servo plate is structure for the braking system if it's badly rotten it needs replacing.. if it's only slightly rotten rust killer paint then use pu adhesive (tiger seal) to plug the holes.....

The scuttle drains one directly above the alternator the other behind the battery need removing and cleaning

https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto/337783-modified-scuttle-drain.html

Do let us know what you find :)

So finally got round to having a look at what was going on, and the servo cover plate was in rust form to say the least, it appears to have rusted away completely, at this stage I wasnt sure really what to do about it, if.any more serious issues arise I will have to take it in to the garage, but for now i've gave it a spray with some anti corrosion paint and I've sealed the plastic hatch above with waterproof sealant to try and prevent any other leaks(the factory sealant had perished and just fell off when the hatch came off). The cloth covering around the hatch area was damp and covered in mildew, which indicates the hatch is the problem.hopefully I've sealed it to a decent standard. I got to my servo plate too late ?

It also looked like water was getting in between the top part of the hatch and the plastic top trim that covered the wipers so i sealed between there too.

Aswell the rubber trim that runs along the scuttle panel is very loose and just falls off everytime I open the bonnet I think that didnt help aswell, if i could glue it on or get a replacement that fits tighter I'm sure that would help aswell.

Thanks for the help and guides really helped

Not sure how water was getting into the heater blower motor though,could it have leaked from a hole in the servo and leaked across.my car is always parked in a way its tilted so any water leaks would flow towards the drivers side if anywhere.

So finally got round to having a look at what was going on, and the servo cover plate was in rust form to say the least, it appears to have rusted away completely, at this stage I wasnt sure really what to do about it, if.any more serious issues arise I will have to take it in to the garage, but for now i've gave it a spray with some anti corrosion paint and I've sealed the plastic hatch above with waterproof sealant to try and prevent any other leaks(the factory sealant had perished and just fell off when the hatch came off). The cloth covering around the hatch area was damp and covered in mildew, which indicates the hatch is the problem.hopefully I've sealed it to a decent standard. I got to my servo plate too late ?

It also looked like water was getting in between the top part of the hatch and the plastic top trim that covered the wipers so i sealed between there too.

Aswell the rubber trim that runs along the scuttle panel is very loose and just falls off everytime I open the bonnet I think that didnt help aswell, if i could glue it on or get a replacement that fits tighter I'm sure that would help aswell.

Thanks for the help and guides really helped
If you haven't already, it's well worth also rotating the scuttle panel drain pipe 180° so that the slit faces the front of the car rather than the rear.

I'm planning on replacing the rusted plate when the weather warms up but for now, rotating the drain pipe has stopped water dripping down onto the vacuum pipe and then into the car through the rusted plate. Just make sure water isn't now dripping onto the alternator.

Back