Server software

Currently reading:
Server software

hi guys

well im running windows xp pro (all legit:eek: ) on my spare pc, gonna be running it as a gaming server.

now i was wondering if anyone can recommend any anti virus's or firewalls or anything else that might help run, protect and kepp the pc efficient, or is it best to use standard firewall on windows?

thanks

J

AVG Free Edition is a good anti-virus package that gets regular updates and Zone Alarm is a good free firewall.

You also need to install spyware protection, Ad-Aware SE Personal edition and Spybot - Search & Destroy are two very good free spyware programs.

The Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool should be downloaded and run once a month as a backup.

Registry Mechanic has a free version that cleans out some areas of your registry. But beware that most 'free' registry cleaners are rip offs.

Hope that helps.

If you don't use windows firewall, use Zone alarm.. and only open up the minimum of ports required for the game - and remote desktop/file+print

More to the point - what games are you planning on running? How many WAN connections? What WAN connection do you have? Do you have a router+hardware firewall?

shhh,:eek: , im moving it to my dads office soon (need to test connection first), plus bugging for an upgrade at home. its mainly for practicing as a clan (only a few people at a time), as we need somewhere to mess about and practice and so on.

i asked here because ive bugged you enough stu :eek: :D

edit: im hitting upto 360 ish Kbps

Last edited:
Back