General Serious Key Problem

Currently reading:
General Serious Key Problem

em_ay_ef

Ok...here's how it is.
I know there are hundreds of different posts regarding the infamous (and infuriating) RED master key, and a number different circumstances, but I think my case is a little special, so I've started my own thread in the hope that someone out there can at least point me in the right direction.

I bought my 96 Bravo 1.8L 16v HLX about 4 months ago - that was my first mistake !!
On face value all was cool and I thought I'd got myself a bit of a bargain.

I got 2 blue keys when I bought the car - NO RED KEY.
Shortly after I realise the 2nd key isn't programmed to the remote central locking etc, so I contacted my local Fiat dealer who went through the whole contact Fiat for 4-digit code - no luck. Apparently Fiat ran low on winter-fuel one day and decided to torch all of their pre-96 4-digit code records for warmth. Not good. Although the nice Fiat man did offer me a new ECU & keys for £270 + fitting.
Needless to say I declined his kind offer and went about my business hopeful in the knowledge that the 2nd key would at least open the door and start the engine (and I'd just have to kill the alarm if it came to it).

Time uneventfully passed, until the day the main key snapped off in the lock and shortly after the switch/button mounted on th PCB inside the key came away from the PCB (although i still have it) !!

So now I have:
0x RED KEYS.
1x blue key that IS coded to the remote central locking that is snapped in half (and still stuck in the lock), and has no switch to make it "beep".
1x blue key that is NOT coded but is still intact.
1x very stationary car !!

A few people have said that Timpsons can clone keys, but....
what are my chances or recovering this one...CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ?

...or should I pretend to steal it, drive it off a bridge into a river (and contemplate not getting out) ?

P.s.If it helps, both blue keys are the ones with the triangle & 2 broken circles on the metal part (if that makes any difference ?)

Thanks in advance.

you can fix it no problem.

lets take the easiest and quickest option to get 1 fully working key.

firstly the easiest bit. to fix your broken remote you need to solder the switch back on to the pcb. this requires 4 small soldered connections, very easy 2 minute job. then swap this repaired PCB with the one in your unprogrammed remote key. now you have one fully working key. if the spare key does not work the immob (code light comes on) then you can also swap the small glass chips over. then you will definately have a fully working key.

ok, now the fun part. making a second working key. to remove the broken key from the lock, apply some super glue to a stick or piece of plastic, or nail, whatever, and hold it in place touching the broken part of the key. let it dry, then pull the broken part of the key out the lock. i've used this method many times, it never fails unless the broken part is so far in the lock that you cant glue it to something. if that is the case you need to remove the lock barrel and then push the broken key part out using a pin. if there is not enough of the key stuck inside the lock to remove the lock barrel (since key must be fully inserted to remove a lock barrel) then you are a bit stuck. i would then suggest you manually force the tumblers into the barrel using a pin to allow you to slot the lock barrel out. this is fiddly, but not hard, it simply requires a bit of patience.

ok so lets assume you now have a broken part of the key, a broken plastic case, and a working PCB from the other key that is not programmed into the central locking and alarm. you need to get a new plastic case from a used key (ebay £2-5). then get timpsons to make you a new key using your other key, get a cheap uncoded key because you then need to destroy it to take the metal part, and then stick this metal part into your new plastic case, also add your working&unprogrammed PCB into this key, and a glass chip from one of your original keys.

now you have a fully built and second key that starts the car and opens the dor manually, and now it simply requires programming into the alarm and central locking. to program this key into the central locking and alarm you need either of the 4 digit codes from the original blue keys. these codes are on paper key rings, as shown in the attached pic. if you dont have either of these, then you are stuck, if you do have either of them, let me know and i'll post the programming procedure for you to try.

Attachments

• remote key.jpg
    remote key.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
no, it is a 4 digit number, and only appears on a paper or plastic key ring, usually paper, as shown in the in my previous post. if you dont have either code then you're stuck and you'll only be able to have 1 working remote.

Hello all.
Just wanted to say thankyou for your help.
After several hours of buggering about with it, I finally gave in and got in contact with local locksmith who got the broken half of the key out in about 10 seconds flat. They they cut me another key which I can now attach to the other key fob with the built-in immobiliser trip.
And it all cost me £3.50 !!
Thanks again.

Hello all.
Just wanted to say thankyou for your help.
After several hours of buggering about with it, I finally gave in and got in contact with local locksmith who got the broken half of the key out in about 10 seconds flat. They they cut me another key which I can now attach to the other key fob with the built-in immobiliser trip.
And it all cost me £3.50 !!
Thanks again.

Excellent glad to hear you got it sorted! (y) :D

Back