Self service Fiat

Currently reading:
Self service Fiat

luvduvs

SNAP!
Anyone heard of this? Was reading about it in the papers and apparently it rolls onto a mat and it self diagnose on what parts are faulty and needs replacing.

what the hell have you need snorting this time?!

are you talking about an examiner smart machine? although they dont roll onto a mat unless some irresponsible loony has decided to decorate the workshop floor.

I swear I was sober when I read it - its the actual car, not the examiner. Can't find info online - let me see if I can track that paper down..

it's true mate i read this aswell, some new fiat models will let the service technician know which parts need replacing via a sensor mat which talks to the car and is able to locate faulty parts

See! I'm not crazy :D

use common sense, why would a diagnostic machine like the examiner be replaced by a mat? what benefit would there be? the only way this magic mat can diagnose the car is by communicating with the ecu, which the examiner already does, so there would be no benefit, and yet there is the inconveniece of having to use a mat. obviously this would not happen unless the mat could diagnose in another way, and i greatly doubt the mat can scan the car with magic and then decide what the fault is.

as T14086 says self diagnosis has been around for years (about 15 years, since ecu's came along), but this diagnosis has always been based on communicating with the ecu. you dont need a mat to do that.

Last edited:
I didn't say it was a good or bad - all I did was point it out, which is obviously old news to some but not to others.

use common sense, why would a diagnostic machine like the examiner be replaced by a mat? what benefit would there be? the only way this magic mat can diagnose the car is by communicating with the ecu, which the examiner already does, so there would be no benefit, and yet there is the inconveniece of having to use a mat. obviously this would not happen unless the mat could diagnose in another way, and i greatly doubt the mat can scan the car with magic and then decide what the fault is.

as T14086 says self diagnosis has been around for years (about 15 years, since ecu's came along), but this diagnosis has always been based on communicating with the ecu. you dont need a mat to do that.

The mat is for the tech to sleep on ;)

Back