General Seicento Sporting general thoughts

Currently reading:
General Seicento Sporting general thoughts

By over here I assume you mean UK. UK is one of the biggest if not the biggest car market in EUROPE.In Serbia you should be happy to buy a regular spare part.OK,not to exaggerate but Seicento is not so common car at my place but Puntos and its part you can find everywhere given that Punto MK3 is producing in Serbia like Sei in Poland.

When we are already at Punto,it is very odd to me when I saw at spec that Punto classic 1.2 60HP has less fuel consumption than Seicento 1.1!
Especially fuel consumption in urban conditions where spec says Punto 1.2 consumes 7.3 litres/100km and Sei 8.5 litres/100km!

I know these are some nominal values in ideal conditions,but 1.2 litres more for car which has 5HP and 120kg less isn't logical to me!

Last edited:
You'll probably be able to pop over to Poland and pick up parts (or they seem easier in Slovenia): a bit of a pain, and there may still be issues, but soon Serbia will be in the EU.

The Punto thing: not sure of the spec. My 1242 Cinq was about as economical as my Sei. Never got a chance to work out what it was doing with the Tricker 40mm TB and ported head.

But the 1108 is generally at least as economical as the 899: it's simply a matter of being able to use smaller throttle openings more of the time.

Could also be that they've tweaked the map on the Punto in the meantime -- the 500 Abarth gives pretty incredible mpg.

What fingers said about the mapping, plus Punto 60s have skinnier tyres than a Cinq/Sei Sporting so less rolling resistance, taller gears (and bigger wheels/tyres), and (what looks like, anyway) a slightly slippier body which may explain the better fuel economy.

I don't know on what kind of stiffness do you mean,but I've ment on that when you bump on some other car and Seicento is all crushed and other car's just bumper.

A lot of modern cars have a lot more plastic around the front that older ones, some nowadays have more of a flap than a bonnet due to the bumper going up so far (C2 is a good example). So the plastic usually deforms than goes back into shape after a minor bump.

You're plain wrong. Look at NCAP for recent small city cars and you'll see them up there. A 5 year old Volvo will have a lower NCAP than a new 500.

See also (skip to 5:10)...

Although a Modus is a bit bigger than a New 500/Aygo/Twingo/other.

Last edited:
I agree I could stick them,if i could find them.I know that is the same car,only cosmetic changes,but you know spoilers,bumbers,alloys are miracle stuff:)))

alright mate if you wanna buy a seicento sporting abarth i have the full body kit and abarth alloys, and the abarth sport seats.
the car still has an MOT and tax on it. it's healthy running ive owned the car near enough four years.

the only bad point is i had a 4x4 reverse into the back of it the other day, and it's put the tailgate window through and dented the tailgate itself. but the car itself is in good condition, has no rust on it, ive lost count of how many times ive polished it.

i'll probably put it in classifieds and sell it as is, or if anyone's interested then just PM me

ive got pictures of the car, but i need to do one of the damage to the tailgate so people know what the damage to it is, but basically it just needs another tailgate with a window

What fingers said about the mapping, plus Punto 60s have skinnier tyres than a Cinq/Sei Sporting so less rolling resistance, taller gears (and bigger wheels/tyres), and (what looks like, anyway) a slightly slippier body which may explain the better fuel economy.

Only if the Punto 1.2 engine is much more prudent than the Sei 1.1 engine so that it gets less fuel consumption because the figures that I found referred to the basic Sei model,not base version of Sporting and basic Punto model.But to me is illogical because the Punto is bigger car and has a larger mass of 120 kilos.

Maybe someone who was driving Punto and Sei will be able to give the right answer?

A lot of modern cars have a lot more plastic around the front that older ones, some nowadays have more of a flap than a bonnet due to the bumper going up so far (C2 is a good example). So the plastic usually deforms than goes back into shape after a minor bump.

I agree that plastic bumbers are deeper nowadays, but I thought the deformation of the hood, wings and other sheet metal parts around the front in a small collision Seicento with another car while other car would have only indented bumber.At least what I saw in traffic on streets than on youtube clips.

Little offtopic, the other night I was stolen from the car stereo which is not a miracle nowadays. But it is interesting that no lock or anything else in the car was not damaged, nor I noticed anything until I wanted to play music. However I had no alarm on a car or a similar protection.I had the luck that these were petty thieves who steal just a stereo from car.

I'm interested in what are the locks or some factory protection on Sei and that you may have helped the alarm in a similar situation?

Like I say, it's down to the mapping and the need for lower throttle openings. The base Sei 1108 has the same tyres as the Sporting.

Seis are hopeless in terms of being break-in resistant, although not easy to hot wire. Either don't keep valuables in them or fit a decent alarm.

Last edited:
I'm interested in what are the locks or some factory protection on Sei and that you may have helped the alarm in a similar situation?

Some car head units have a bolt/stud on the back which is used to mount them in some cars (but not Cinquecentos and Seicentos), however you could use this to attach it to the bar that is behind the dashboard (some head units come with a strap, like a piece of Meccano, this could be used if the bar is close enough).

If the alarm is sounding they will leave the stereo if they can't remove it in a couple of seconds.

I see these days ads in domestic market and see that the price of Seicento Sporting Abart 2001/2002 with full equipment approximate price Fiat Bravo 1.2/1.6 SX 2000/2001 with solid equipment. I do not know what's the catch, but stupid is comparable Seicento with Bravo. On the other hand, no Bravo has moved less than the actual 150 000 km, and some more while Sei move that around 100 000 km and more. Bravo has a 1.2 with 80hp engines and 1.6 with 105hp. So I wonder which of the two engines is more durable, performance is definitely on the 1.6 engine. 1.2 engine is slightly newer aggregate and replaced the old 1.4, but that is the 1.2 engine and better. JTD diesel out of the question because the engines are mostly went over 300 000 km and are very expensive to maintain.

I appreciate that if you take into account that great mileage to 1.2 and 1.6 engines can be done to move a lot more mileage than the Seicento 1.1 fire engines?

Fingers99 do not understand me wrong, I'm not talking here about whether we prefer Siecento or Bravo. As I said before I like Sei Sporting very much.But I'm talking about engines Bravo 1.2, 1.6 and Sei 1.1 Fire?

i have a 1.6 engine, admittidly not a fiat one, but a similar spec to the bravo one

Its a no brainer to me, unless you want economy then the 1.6 is the way to go as it is better than a 1.1 in everyway (but economy)

wouldnt even consider a 1.2 bravo, its too underpowered for the car

However comparing a bravo and a seicento is wrong, its two cars sold for two different markets

See also (skip to 5:10)...
YouTube- Fifth Gear Crash-test Volvo 940 estate vs Renault Modus
Although a Modus is a bit bigger than a New 500/Aygo/Twingo/other.

I thought that was a rather surprising test. Then I looked up the figures:
Volvo 940 estate, if the 2.3L then kerb weight 1432kg.
Renault Modus, if 1.6 then kerb weight 1170kg.
Now the 2.3L volvo engine i'd wager is a good few kgs heavier than the renault 1.6, maybe even 50kg+ if its iron vs alloy blocks.

Not saying the renault isnt safer but you can tell there is almost as much metal in the chassis of that renault as there is in that volvo even though the renault is considerably smaller by volume.

Also the damage on modern plastic bumpers tends to lie. My Micra (53 plate) was crashed into twice, both times all it looked like was a cracked bumper, what you couldn't tell from a distance was that the whole back end of the car had bowed outwards by a couple of inches and it crabbed afterwards. £1000 worth of jig repair and respray and it was good as new. :(

Its a no brainer to me, unless you want economy then the 1.6 is the way to go as it is better than a 1.1 in everyway (but economy)

wouldnt even consider a 1.2 bravo, its too underpowered for the car

However comparing a bravo and a seicento is wrong, its two cars sold for two different markets

I am not talking about economy,I mean engine quality and durability.Certanly to 1.1 engine is more ecomical than 1.6 but not to much as I see from spec.

1.2 with 80hp is not much larger consumer than 1.1 55hp engine if it is true what is written in the spec.

Why is it too underpowered 80hp and 1.2 engine for Bravo,its just 20hp less than 1.6 engine? Bravo MK1 doen't have so larg mass as newer cars from that class do. I didn't drive Bravo but 80hp not so little.

I know 1.6 and 105hp are much better choice but annual registration and insurance for this engine in my country is more expensive than 1.2 engine!

Don't I turn to the topic, I didn't want to compare with Seicento Bravo, but to compare the quality of the engines. As I see you claim that these engines of approximately the same quality and durability.

What is the Seicento heating in cold days, when the windscreen to freeze outside and inside? Does it need a lot of time to defrost or scat front and rear windscreen when is very cold outside?

Occurred to me on the old car that I have been trying almost half an hour to defrost windscreen and wait to be the engine warm up before I could drive!

Last edited:
Why is it too underpowered 80hp and 1.2 engine for Bravo,its just 20hp less than 1.6 engine?

forget the power bhp figures, bhp means nothing, its the torque that is what you want to be interested in, we dont go from 0-60, we do go from 30-70 a lot i.e. overtaking

Take a look at the size look at the size of the vehicle and its poor torque figure, the car as a whole is too big for that engine, yeah it might appaer to have a bit of decent power for its size but its certainly a strain on a tiny engine which will certainly be working a lot harder to move the vehicle

it may be durable, but you would be repalcing parts and servicing it a hell of a lot more than a 1.1 sei or 1.6 bravo

I suggest you visit the bravo section and ask which is better, 1.2 or 1.6 bravo

Regarding windscreen defrosting, dont worry you wont be waiting 30 mins, its as quick as any current vehicle with the exception of ford who do the 'quickclear' system on majority of range

Last edited:
Don't I turn to the topic, I didn't want to compare with Seicento Bravo, but to compare the quality of the engines. As I see you claim that these engines of approximately the same quality and durability.

I dont think you can compare them truly because there never was a 1.6 seicento, thats the only true way of getting the answer you want IMO and it isnt possible, so you are either going to have to bite the bullet and decide which you want or move on

What is the Seicento heating in cold days, when the windscreen to freeze outside and inside? Does it need a lot of time to defrost or scat front and rear windscreen when is very cold outside?

Occurred to me on the old car that I have been trying almost half an hour to defrost windscreen and wait to be the engine warm up before I could drive!
have you got the air on recuilate, mine ice free in 5 mins, recuclate air; blower on fast on the screen , lovly and hot and ready to go .:p.
as for ncap video , door comes out and passenger cell deforms , so don't hit anything or or get a 5 star ncap car :(

Last edited:
have you got the air on recuilate, mine ice free in 5 mins, recuclate air; blower on fast on the screen , lovly and hot and ready to go .:p.
as for ncap video , door comes out and passenger cell deforms , so don't hit anything or or get a 5 star ncap car :(

he hasnt got a sei only interesting in purchasing one

Thanks mates for help and understanding,

Regarding windscreen defrosting, dont worry you wont be waiting 30 mins, its as quick as any current vehicle with the exception of ford who do the 'quickclear' system on majority of range

Ok,Sei like other newer cars doesn't have problem with defrosting windscreen.If I understood you right Ford -Focus,Fiesta have better defrosting air heating?

it may be durable, but you would be repalcing parts and servicing it a hell of a lot more than a 1.1 sei or 1.6 bravo

You want to say that 1.1 Sei engine is better than Bravo 1.2 in way that is 1.1 Sei is more durable and less fault-prone than 1.2 Bravo?!

I dont think you can compare them truly because there never was a 1.6 seicento, thats the only true way of getting the answer you want IMO and it isnt possible, so you are either going to have to bite the bullet and decide which you want or move on

Ok, I agree.Comparation doesn't have sense.Once again I have wanted to know with engine is more durable and cheaper 1.1 seic or 1.2/1.6 Bravo to drive for replacing parts and servicing it.

have you got the air on recuilate, mine ice free in 5 mins, recuclate air; blower on fast on the screen , lovly and hot and ready to go

Trust me mate,on Zastava vehicles you can only to pray to how to start or how to warm up when outside temperature is below zero.

For instance is the same conditions brothers Leon's climatronic air system defrosts windscreen less than 2 minutes! I know Climatronic air condition system could be very useful to warm up very quickly windscreen but my Zastava warms up only when you get to where I went!

Back