DSCI2132.JPG

Panda (Classic) SEAT Marbella (Mk1 Panda replica).

Re: SEAT Marbella (Mk1 Panda replica)

Ok Lewey, all sorted now. I just had to look under the electronic section for the ignition unit to find out where the pressure pipe goes and all was revealed! Kind of obvious I supose :eek: but happy that I know now anyway.

Got my alternator brackets today, so all should be ok there now (fingers crossed) and a fuel pump is ready to fit. I had a solid state pump already i remembered so should be ok for this use. Unless someone knows different?

Oil cooler fittings ordered and on their way now :slayer:

One question though, I am stuck on the fuel system a bit. There is a fuel vapour condenser unit that I didnt take off the car. Do I have to have one or could I just pipe it back to the tank? Will keep an eye out on the bay of e to see if something materialises though.
Found this, but not sure:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-2-JET...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item45e962ce8d

Si

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.

You don't need the vapour condenser. It's primarily an emissions control device. Just block up. Hopefully someone else will come along and concur.

Ok, I would agree. Will wait and see if anyone knows different but it does seem to be the general consensus with people I have spoken to as well.

Golf mk2 splitter arrived today, although that was a bit more of a cosmetic addition, it will cover up the chrome intercooler pipe sticking down below the car....hopefully some improvement to be made here though. It will hopefully help to direct air up into the intercooler but that would be a bonus :p

Si

Ok, I would agree. Will wait and see if anyone knows different but it does seem to be the general consensus with people I have spoken to as well.

Golf mk2 splitter arrived today, although that was a bit more of a cosmetic addition, it will cover up the chrome intercooler pipe sticking down below the car....hopefully some improvement to be made here though. It will hopefully help to direct air up into the intercooler but that would be a bonus :p

Si

bust out the camera, hit us with some pictures :D

Well another day in the trenches and things are really looking good. I have painted the front panel and one of the holes for the intercooler pipe looks almost like it was already there:

DSCI2311.JPG

DSCI2313.JPG

I have fitted the splitter to the bumper, although I dont think it looks as tidy as grumbleweed but the bolts showing make it look racey right? :devil:

DSCI2315.JPG

Put some mesh in the vent to protect the intercooler ( dont want this damaged, it was hard to find!)
Will put the bumper on tomorrow for a preview look, but the paint is too fresh today.

Now its time to lift up her back end for a better look ;)
DSCI2316.JPG

I am looking at fuel system, and while i was at that thought I would have a look at the fuel sender unit as the fuel guage is stuck....and now I know why!!

DSCI2312.JPG

There's a plunger/damper that stops the fuel gauge changing too quickly and this was so clogged it was hard for me to even pull it up! So if your fuel sender is broken then this is how to fix it! Will put a how to in the "panda" section later as this will save some uneccessary shopping around hopefully! Plus, new senders are impossible to find!!

Thats all to report on for now, will be on electrics tomorrow if I get all the fuel system sorted....which I will be taking extreeeeeemely slow.:eek:

Si

Last edited:

Ok, well a reasonably productive day again. Have all the fuel lines sorted, and the fuel pump installed ready for some wiring fun!

Put the bumper on too for an initial glance, looking lower than she will actually ride as her back end is still up for inspection. exhaust mounts to go next I think, forgot about that :eek:

Here she is anyway, looking nice I think:
DSCI2320.JPG

DSCI2321.JPG

I think the grey plastic to black suits the car as the side decals are silver. It does need a clean though.

This is the fuel pump tucked up under the boot floor, should be safe here I think:
DSCI2319.JPG

I have used the original sender as I mentioned before, but the pipes ID are very small (maybe 4mm). Is it normal for these conversions to stick to the orginal senders and fuel tank inlet/outlet pipes?

Now time for sleep! Laterzzzzzz

Si

Hey all, appologies for posting and disappearing. I was so tired after the "holiday" I was barely capable of using a computer! But also I was too excited to leave reporting it till today :devil:

Thanks also for the positive thoughts, I think even if its not the fastest and best handling car I'll get some fun out of it. But getting it to handle is a project thats got me even more excited. :slayer:

Done a couple of small little jobs as a reward for the progress (I like rewarding myself for good progress on the car by buying something nice for the car...its a never ending loop of joy!).

Here is the initial dash layout, I've allways wanted to have lots of switches and a push starter button :devil:

DSCI2322.JPG

Also fitted the lancia Y10 steering wheel, a bit tatty but just adds to the character! :D
Si

Last edited:

Some quick updates:

Everything is now mounted so its wiring now and then her first start up attempt! I am sure there will be a few :eek:

The engine bay is pretty much as it will be now, with some nice shiney new intercooler pipes and expansion tank mounted:

DSCI2328.JPG

Alternator is now fitted finally and looks to clear everything ok...hoping there isnt too much movement in the engine. Due to limited options here I would have to look at extra engine bracing if this is a problem.....pretty close though right? :eek:......

DSCI2327.JPG

Oil cooler is fitted, not too many positions left to go so this is the best I can find (not far off how it was fitted to the Y10).

DSCI2325.JPG

One last pipe to locate and its coming out the bottom of the carb. It was blacnked off with a bolt by the previous owner but not very well...so possibly boost leak here which would explain how it was running:

DSCI2329_2_.JPG

This is it on a spare carburettor I have:
DSCI2330_2_.JPG

It goes in after the butterflies, anyone any idea what this could go to??

This is a diagram from the manual and I think it shows it as the bottom outlet:
DSCI2331.JPG

More light reading to be done, but cant find it referenced anywhere so far :(

Cheers,
Si

I was thinking. You just changed your engine, you would obviously have to inform the DVLA???

I was wondering because I have a '92 Peugeot 205 and I was wondering if i could simply swap the throttle body to a carburetta because of the electrical problems. But I also wish to get rid of the CAT what is the legality of this?

I was thinking. You just changed your engine, you would obviously have to inform the DVLA???

I was wondering because I have a '92 Peugeot 205 and I was wondering if i could simply swap the throttle body to a carburetta because of the electrical problems. But I also wish to get rid of the CAT what is the legality of this?
Si will need to tell DVLA that the cc has changed from 903 to 1049, but that's about it. Technically, emissions tests are based on the older of either the car or engine in a modified vehicle. In reality, if you make an injection car that was supposed to have the early cat test (0.3% CO) into a carb car (say 3.5% CO) it is a bit of a ball ache to get this changed as far as I know. You have to prove the engine is older. If you simply change the inlet, the engine hasn't changed and you won't be able to prove this. The fact that it has a carb instead of injectors won't change the test used as it doesn't alter the marker on the car which is all in the computer systems these days. You will therefore have to keep the cat.

My Uno I just bought is a 1992 car that had a carburettor originally so has a marker on it to only have the 3.5% CO test. The fact that it has an injection turbo engine from the "cat test" era in it makes no difference to this.

If it is a 92 you might be lucky and it won't need a cat test. My Feb 93 Panda CLX had a non cat test at its last MOT, depsite having a CAT and injection. I dont know whether it was just an error by the tester though who just assumed it had no cat.

If it is a 92 you might be lucky and it won't need a cat test. My Feb 93 Panda CLX had a non cat test at its last MOT, depsite having a CAT and injection. I dont know whether it was just an error by the tester though who just assumed it had no cat.
Yep, there are some cars registered August 92-94 that have a marker on them to do a non-cat test, even though they are injection and may well have a cat. This window was supposed to allow for some legacy carb models to peter out. These are pretty rare though and my guess is that your tester made an error in your case.

Hmm yes, I supose I do need to tell the dvla. Will make sure it works first though. Not on the road of course! I'll read into it more, but sounds good if all I have to do is tell them its cc has changed. Do I not have to tell them engine numbers etc?

Sorry I can't help Blurredman though, I've never come accross these so called "cats" in my vehicles!! lol.

Si

Hmm yes, I supose I do need to tell the dvla. Will make sure it works first though. Not on the road of course! I'll read into it more, but sounds good if all I have to do is tell them its cc has changed. Do I not have to tell them engine numbers etc?

Sorry I can't help Blurredman though, I've never come accross these so called "cats" in my vehicles!! lol.

Si

Ah don't worry, the Peugeot 205 is in perfect working order now (thanks everybody) just, the petrol changed to gunk and using an cleaner and pleanty of fuel and revving it no longer dies on me !! It is working well.

Sorry for nicking your Post Si :rolleyes:

Ah don't worry, the Peugeot 205 is in perfect working order now (thanks everybody) just, the petrol changed to gunk and using an cleaner and pleanty of fuel and revving it no longer dies on me !! It is working well.

Sorry for nicking your Post Si :rolleyes:

yes , and talking about a peugot to!! tut tut lol. However you are forgiven!

Si

Back