DSCI2132.JPG

Panda (Classic) SEAT Marbella (Mk1 Panda replica).

Info only.At Midland springs in coleshill there's a guy called Luke who can do great things with leaf springs .
Adam and I are off there for mod s to
Our springs on the green panda more height and more range of flex will
Let you know how we get on ,

Info only.At Midland springs in coleshill there's a guy called Luke who can do great things with leaf springs .
Adam and I are off there for mod s to
Our springs on the green panda more height and more range of flex will
Let you know how we get on ,

Nice, I went with the 4x4 springs as I had some new ones handy but yeah might need to get ones designed for this set-up...Saw the red rally panda which has appeared on here a few times do a buckaroo on a rally stage, which mightve been down to using normal 4x4 springs / too much damping and much less body weight!

Si. Magenta our next panda will be swinging arms fully floating axel. Pannrod arm and coils at the rear Same set up at front 45mm lowered engine and front wheel centre moved forward by 25 mm + 120mm lift again

So quick update...while waiting for the prop shaft to materialise...I have procrastinated on other things...

I finally got round to re-furbishing the old mesh wheels I had on my grey/green mk1. Made an attempt at a diamond cut effect rim with gold centres. Not perfect but good enough I think :cool:

WP_20170801_21_46_12_Pro.jpg

WP_20170731_22_45_44_Pro.jpg

Tyres are ordered; I ended up choosing Nankangs NS-2R for their value and good reviews in the end, and a 185/60 R13" size...

Then I had a go at improving the jetting on the carburettor, which required drilling out an 80 jet to an 85 with a tiny drill bit...as it turns out no power drill required for that... can drill that out by hand!! :devil: Definitely feels quicker now though but it does it's lean out thing in between half and full throttle. Should be fine on full race mode though :slayer:

And while browsing the interwebs one evening last week I spotted an aluminium spoiler for £35 on ebay...so that happened...

WP_20170805_15_14_45_Pro.jpg

WP_20170805_15_15_46_Pro.jpg

And finally took the leap to fit some arches to hide the big arch gap...not a perfect fit and they are too wide but hopefully I'll get used to it in time :eek:

WP_20170806_20_11_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20170806_20_13_02_Pro.jpg

Fingers crossed on a prop-shaft being sorted out this coming week :slayer:

Last edited:
Looking Mega Si! And I absolutely love those wheels. Presumably they aren't 4x98?

:D Thanks. Yes, they're fairly rare wheels I think, but seen them on a few pandas before. They are 13" and 4x98 pcd and 5J wide. So a perfect fit :slayer:

Hey Si all you need is a few hedge hogs on the roof and your done wind tunnel next on the roro

You joke but....

...my driveway with the gate open makes a pretty good wind tunnel to be honest! I might use some smoke cartridges and see what happens...will take a video and post up :devil: Just need a windy day...oh when will that ever happen!

Well cutting it close but got the propshaft yesterday and been frantically trying to fit! Think almost there though. Quite a good routing now with a perfectly straight propshaft from gearbox to rear diff!

So here it is!...looks beafy but am told it's because it is longer than the original (i.e the front half is the same as the length of the front and middle sections of a normal panda 4x4 propshaft).

WP_20170824_12_48_09_Pro.jpg

2 piece prop and 1 centre bearing from a transit van...apparently!

I cried a bit when had to do this...and my mechanical senses were tingling...

WP_20170824_13_48_32_Pro.jpg

But it is all welded up and probably retains some of it's strength...might need a brace piece but will do when I actually have time and hope car doesn't collapse in half haha

WP_20170825_13_48_48_Pro.jpg

All bolted up...actually gives good ground clearance...the exhaust is still the lowest bit!

WP_20170825_13_57_59_Pro.jpg

WP_20170825_13_58_06_Pro.jpg

WP_20170825_15_01_19_Pro.jpg

Then moved on to making the 4wd selector linkage and started with the selector from the original 2wd gearbox...

WP_20170825_15_11_58_Pro.jpg

I cut and shortened it then bolted into the car...

WP_20170825_20_21_11_Pro.jpg

Keeping with the metal ball joint linkage theme :devil:...

WP_20170825_20_22_01_Pro.jpg

And for inside I made use of the original 4x4 handle but on a home made selector rod...

WP_20170825_20_26_31_Pro.jpg

So tomorrow will fit all together and go for a test drive...mildly scary...then it's off to race in London on Sunday!...so no time to spare! haha!

Sorry delayed report! Was out on a walk today and cat kept falling asleep on the laptop!

So after a mad rush to get the car ready and a last minute test drive....to London for the event...:eek:... all went very well. No problems with the 4wd and it seems very good off the line. No wheel spin but didn't feel like it bogged down either. And looks like maybe ~1.5s off my best time in this car. So about what I was hoping for and with more practice using the car I think I could further improve now.

There was some propshaft wind up however, which made it impossible to de-select the 4wd. and after jacking up the car the wheel did spin to relieve the wind-up. However I think as long as I make sure I de-select after each run this won't be a problem. I had left it in 4wd for maybe 3 runs which had caused it to wind up more than usual I expect...

Anyway video is here! Enjoy!

[ame]https://youtu.be/v-0-Dikftc4[/ame]

I enjoyed that immensely thank you.
Takes off like a cat from an on fire lap top, looks stable and controlled (or 'under-powered' depending how you look at these things) through turns.
Chirruping on, off pattern from tyres through the tighter turns plus your report of the wind up shouts 'viscous centre diff' to me..
Time difference is startling over such a short and dry course but that begs the question - what's the weight difference?

All in all, a major success I'd say. - Congratulations on your path finding, successful and brave, development work.

I enjoyed that immensely thank you.
Takes off like a cat from an on fire lap top, looks stable and controlled (or 'under-powered' depending how you look at these things) through turns.
Chirruping on, off pattern from tyres through the tighter turns plus your report of the wind up shouts 'viscous centre diff' to me..
Time difference is startling over such a short and dry course but that begs the question - what's the weight difference?

All in all, a major success I'd say. - Congratulations on your path finding, successful and brave, development work.

It's probably 30 to 50kg heavier at a guess...but can find out the total weight at some point. They have a scale at Castlecombe so looks like I will have to go there sadly :devil:

But yes, I feel this a success now. And can probs live with the wind-up as long as it is for short runs only and I disengage end of each run...

More power could be attempted at some point...I launch so quick but don't break traction so there is more acceleration to come :devil:

Back