DSCI2132.JPG

Panda (Classic) SEAT Marbella (Mk1 Panda replica).

Not the best event of the year...but a good learning experience. Castle combe is leathal when damp...and combined with oil even worse. Didn't manage to get a video of the incident but here are some photo's I took of the day:

Looking so promising at the start of the day:
Photo0971.jpg

But first run over avon rise it all goes wrong:
Photo09721.jpg

managed to patch her up and continue with all the remaining runs of the day:
Photo0975.jpg

Bodged indicator lens works suprisingly well (made from a sainsburies bag my dad found in a bin, some duck tape, and bits of the old smashed bulb holder!)...
Photo0974.jpg

Got one dry run though and came 3rd out of 4 in class...minor consellation really but glad to have gotten a good time in. Even got a bonus "parade lap" in as there was some torrential rain which left lots of standing water before the final timed run of the day...there was literally a river / lake forming around my gazebo!!...

Photo0978.jpg

Photo0979.jpg

Got her home safely with no run ins with the law...bloody knackered now...early night I reckon!

Si

My Dad sent me some outside video but it is a little shakey (combe is quite a big circuit and zoom is a must). Nothing of the accident though I am afraid; I wouldn't mind seeing it myself to see what I did wrong (apart from going too fast that is!! :p)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1N5-JruqHQ&feature=youtu.be

I've trawled ebay and no headlights around it seems :( Or bumpers...

Took a better look at the damage today as well and I am feeling a bit better.

Wing should go back in ok with a bodywork jack:
DSCI3192.JPG

Inner wing is straight:
DSCI3193.JPG

DSCI3196.JPG

Lower cross member is straight as well:
DSCI3199.JPG

Radiator is slightly bent and lucky it didn't pop:
DSCI3197.JPG

Next post will be all fixed I hope! At least I am not going to be bored over the next few months! :bang:

Glad to see you're taking it all in the right spirit Si, could have been a lot worse. (y)

I did pretty much the same thing on a night rally in a Mk1 Cortina GT 2dr, when I look at the money they are fetching now I shudder, because I scrapped it! :cry:

Good to meet up yesterday even if I did miss all the action. (y)

Dealers still had a stock of front wings last time I checked, but give me a shout if you have no luck.

Glad to see you're taking it all in the right spirit Si, could have been a lot worse. (y)

I did pretty much the same thing on a night rally in a Mk1 Cortina GT 2dr, when I look at the money they are fetching now I shudder, because I scrapped it! :cry:

Good to meet up yesterday even if I did miss all the action. (y)

Dealers still had a stock of front wings last time I checked, but give me a shout if you have no luck.

Thank Vern, was good to see you both too and also meet the new addition to the family ;) I have to admit I kind of want one of those now too...:D

I'm kind of glad you missed the crash though so no worries there :eek: and after you left the entire sea got dumped on the track and most people gave up and went home due to huge amounts of standing water on the track. I did not give up though and had a go in the slippy conditions...I did it better that time haha! More than welcome to watch any time though, but that's it for this year...probably not going to make the drag race at shakespeare county raceway next weekend now.

I've trawled ebay and no headlights around it seems :( Or bumpers...

Took a better look at the damage today as well and I am feeling a bit better.

Wing should go back in ok with a bodywork jack:
DSCI3192.JPG

Wow you have been busy! Its really cool the Turbo engine took you all the way to Interlaken. The patented carb cooling system must be working a treat. I'm glad its not more serious, when I heard Vern commenting on an 'incident' I thought a rod had come through the block.

Alixcompo recently removed the Seat headlamps and Bumper from his Terra. https://www.fiatforum.com/panda-classic/333717-seat-terra-van.html maybe up for grabs?

Last edited:
Oh boy. Bad luck with the incident Si. You were obviously giving it some despite the weather which I always like to see at a sprint! You certainly put the effort in, and in all weathers, but this is one of the hazards. Still can't work out what happened. What did you hit?

Wow you have been busy! Its really cool the Turbo engine took you all the way to Interlaken. The patented carb cooling system must be working a treat. I'm glad its not more serious, when I heard Vern commenting on an 'incident' I thought a rod had come through the block.

Alixcompo recently removed the Seat headlamps and Bumper from his Terra. https://www.fiatforum.com/panda-classic/333717-seat-terra-van.html maybe up for grabs?

PM sent!!! Thanks man!! This could be a life saver! :slayer: The car is actually in perfect working order still...just looking a bit battle scarred it seems :eek:

Regarding the road trip, the engine is a trooper that's for sure. A pleasure to drive, smooth and powerful (with awesome woosh's etc). Burn't a bit of oil though but nothing dangerous.

Thanks again Kris, I had missed the updates on the Terra...I've gotten a bit carried away with the swarm of mk1 4x4 projects that have appeared over the last few months!

Si

Oh boy. Bad luck with the incident Si. You were obviously giving it some despite the weather which I always like to see at a sprint! You certainly put the effort in, and in all weathers, but this is one of the hazards. Still can't work out what happened. What did you hit?

I felt like going home when I pulled up in the paddock...but glad I picked myself up and stuck it all back together again! Basically I did a test brake just before avon rise as I was told it was super slippery but even with a light touch of the brakes the car turned sideways almost instantly (partly grip / partly suspension I imagine)...after that nothing I did seemed to change the trajectory and I side swiped the tyre wall and bounced back onto the track. Sat there waiting for steam...there was no steam so carried on! Then spun at camp due to a bad oil spill and painted my car green using the grass on the inside of the corner!

A pretty good learning experience really and pretty lucky I was able to continue racing all day and get home! But so sad to see the car in such a state.

Having said that the wing pushed out like that does almost give me an idea of flared arches haha! Covers the wheel much better now haha.

No more events this year anyway. Might be at Shakespeare county raceway this weekend but debating whether to run anything. Probably going to be wet though anyway. Would have been better to end the season on a high, but oh well got plenty of months before the next one and plenty of ideas as well!

Sorry to hear about the bump Si, but apart from that the car's looking and going great. (y)

I'm not sure what wilderness this thread's been in, but don't think I've found it before! At least I'll see it now you're back in the right place.

Anyway it's much more Panda than those Y10's which people are pretending should be in here :D

Sorry to hear about the bump Si, but apart from that the car's looking and going great. (y)

I'm not sure what wilderness this thread's been in, but don't think I've found it before! At least I'll see it now you're back in the right place.

Anyway it's much more Panda than those Y10's which people are pretending should be in here :D

Yeah I think the car will be back to itself soon enough. The naughty white 4x4 is wasting my time at the moment :mad: one more weekend blown on the carburettor lol (literally blown in this weather!).

There is quite a bit of history in this thread though :eek: I think I tagged pictures well in it because it has almost 80,000 views as well!! haha. Question, at what point does number of views equal panda fame? :devil:

Back