General RPM sensor location on a 2.0HLX weekend

Currently reading:
General RPM sensor location on a 2.0HLX weekend

7BOS

Hi

Having problems locating the position in the engine of the RPM sensor. I'm sure I read one of the posts stated it was a 5 minute job to change it, but I've spent over an hour looking for it!
Any ideas?
My car cuts out intermittently and I have to wait for 10 minutes before restarting. I'm guessing this is the probable cause as it appears to be temperature dependent.

Cheers
7bos

sounds more like the Crank/TDC sensor, get the front of the car up on axel stands.

crawl under past the under tray and look up to the left of the exhaust on the back of the block, might not be able to see it too easy but have a feel about for the cable running to it.

good luck! (y)

Many thanks for that.
It is the TDC sensor I was looking for, believe it is also known as the RPM sensor as well.
From my understanding, the ECU uses two sensors to work out when to generate the sparks for the plugs, one is this TDC/RPM sensor, the other is the Timing Sensor which is located by the Cambelt pulleys.
As I understand it, the Timing Sensor is only used on start up to work out which of the intake/exhaust cycle the engine is on, therefore it is not used during normal operation, so it cannot be the problem if my car cuts out during use as well. Unless you know different!

Attached is what i am looking for. From what you say, i should be looking at the rear of the engine block towards the gearbox end of it. Correct?

Thanks for your help.

7bos

Attachments

• TDC-600.jpg
    TDC-600.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 70
I had a similar problem on a car (not a Fiat) a few years ago. After the garage had the car in looking for it 5 times :bang: I suggested they replace the fuel pump, never had the problem again.(y)

1997 Marea HLX 2.0 20V saloon.

Cheers for that.

Had considered the fuel pump, but when the car cuts there is no splutter, just completely stops, even the rev counter goes to zero whilst the engine is still turning.
When restarting, when you turn the ignition on, the pump can be heard to buzz away for 1-2 seconds whether she starts or not, so i rekon it is priming the engine correctly each time.

But who knows! i rang Fiat to ask about a diagnostic test, but they weren't to sure what it would bring up, if anything useful, but were happy for me to pay the money! Problem is, they need a weeks notice and I need to get the car running by Wednesday for my wife and kids to use.

Cheers

7bos

Cheers for that, I should be alright now I know where to look.

Hopefully get a new part tomorrow on Wednesday and put it in.

Will let you know how I get on.

7bos

Back