Technical Reverse parking sensors

Currently reading:
Technical Reverse parking sensors

willoughbybrown

I have a 500 sport with dealer fitted sensors. The speaker is right behind the drivers side rear passengers seat. As soon as it is activated, it bleeps loudly and does not seem to corrolate to the distance betweem the object and the sensor. I've read the manual, but (having come from a BMW with PDC where the bleeping was audible but not annoying, and was also logical) it makes no sense.

My fathers car has the same problem, he gets @1 metre from the object and the sensor "flatlines". Not much use!

My main questions are.

1/ Can the volume be turned down on the speaker?
2/ Can the audible bleep be wired into the standard ICE speakers? How easy would that be?
3/ Is this what the system is supposed to be like?

I have a 500 sport with dealer fitted sensors. The speaker is right behind the drivers side rear passengers seat. As soon as it is activated, it bleeps loudly and does not seem to corrolate to the distance betweem the object and the sensor. I've read the manual, but (having come from a BMW with PDC where the bleeping was audible but not annoying, and was also logical) it makes no sense.

My fathers car has the same problem, he gets @1 metre from the object and the sensor "flatlines". Not much use!

My main questions are.

1/ Can the volume be turned down on the speaker?
2/ Can the audible bleep be wired into the standard ICE speakers? How easy would that be?
3/ Is this what the system is supposed to be like?

hum dealer fit parking sensors are a dodgy area a some dealers like to save money and not use genuine fiat sensors which is naughty

if they are fiat suplied kits then yes the volume is alterable and so are the distance settings on both pairs of sensors

one other thing that dealers forget is that fiat sensors unlike many after market sensors actually send out a fan of ultrasound not a cone this if set up properly is very effective and accurate across the entire rear of the car and tends not to false trigger

to achieve this the sensors need to be set in the correct orientation top and bottom very easy to miss

i wonder if you could do a little investigation into the rear of your car and take some snaps of the control box and bits if you can find them and also the position of the sensors on the bumper

electronics may be hidden away behind some of the boot side linings

Last edited:
Hi there,

I have bought a used Stilo, and noticed that one of the rear parking sensors was pushed inside. Until that point, the detection was fine.

Then I tried to fix it and now detection distance is shorter (less than 1 m). I have read in this thread that changing the position of the sensor can go in detriment of sensor performance. Could you please tell me how fix it? (what´s the right angle/distance/position to set them up)

Thanks a lot

Back