Technical Reverse light parking sensors auto wiper only work whilst holding gear lever?

Currently reading:
Technical Reverse light parking sensors auto wiper only work whilst holding gear lever?

diddydee

Hi all I have a 2014 1.2 fiat Punto I recently had a refurbished gear box and new clutch fitted due to lay shaft bearing gone the car now drives fine all gears work as they should until I noticed parking sensors etc weren't working so I checked the usual culprits changed the reverse light switch after checking connector held the button in on the switch and all worked as it should engaged reverse gear and nothing then found that if I physically held the gear lever over to the right hand side it continued to work let go of the lever and it moved slightly and everything stops working has anyone faced this issue before or have any ideas of how to fix it or what's causing it to move enough to stop the switch doing its job thanks in advance

Solution
Cheers mate I shunned the connector with a paper clip and everything worked as it should but once so I assumed all electrical side was fine I've ordered another switch just to be certain as the other one came off an old box it was working perfectly before the gearbox change so was just wondering if something wasn't quite aligned right I've also managed to push it firmly to the right and let go and it held but I'll keep looking on here and see what I can find thanks again for your response

Ive read this before.. :cool:

Its possible its the main earth cable failing.. and you are managing to create an earth path with the gear lever

SEARCH on here doesnt work as nicely as it once did... but I will have a look for you :)
Cheers mate I shunned the connector with a paper clip and everything worked as it should but once so I assumed all electrical side was fine I've ordered another switch just to be certain as the other one came off an old box it was working perfectly before the gearbox change so was just wondering if something wasn't quite aligned right I've also managed to push it firmly to the right and let go and it held but I'll keep looking on here and see what I can find thanks again for your response

Ive read this before.. :cool:

Its possible its the main earth cable failing.. and you are managing to create an earth path with the gear lever

SEARCH on here doesnt work as nicely as it once did... but I will have a look for you :)

Solution
Not quite the same..

But the link in my 1st reply.. regarding the Grande is a useful read

Hi mate thanks again for your reply I'll go and check that all earth terminals I can see are clean and tight etc it would just be sods law if that was failing now after the refurb gearbox was fitted as the old gearbox everything worked fine that's why I thought the switch or something might not be adjusted right in not mechanically minded but I've sent my mechanic a video of what's happening so he can have a look

Attachments

• VID_20220724_192415.mp4
    10.5 MB
  • VID_20220724_192459.mp4
    12.1 MB
  • VID_20220724_192800.mp4
    20.3 MB
No problem :cool:

I was thinking..
'Different systems effected'
When I posted earlier..

Ive since realised 'auto wiper' is rear wiper triggered by selecting reverse

Its been a long week :)
No worries mate it helped that all three work off that switch but checking reverse light bulb wasn't fun they don't make them easy to get out but I'll let you know thanks again pal 👍

Back