Punto evo help please

Currently reading:
Punto evo help please

punto1802

I have a 1.4 punto evo on a 10 plate, last week while reversing off the drive it put the engine warning light on, diagnostic error code P1850? Cleared the code, all was fine, today it’s done it again, put in reverse light comes on S/S unavailable? Had my battery checked, when stood still it reads 12.3 and when running it’s at 80%? It does appear to be the original battery? Fiat say it could be the gearbox recognition switch by the error code given, part is £150.50 plus vat, does anyone have any ideas or help please? Thanks

Hi just looked at the link, I’m not having any of those issues, car drives fine, no other warning lights, no driving issues?

Yes it’s only done it twice and both times is when I’ve put it in reverse?

The first time it had been left about an hour after driving and it did it, this time it hadn’t been driven for a few days?

varesecrazy

There are a huge amount of electrical differences between the Evo and the grande so it’s not safe to assume they have similar problems.

A quick search around the net suggests that the problem is the gear position sensor that the car knows what gear the car is in. The grande doesn’t have this, nor does the grande ever come with stop start or anything else like that.

£150 seems a high price to pay, as abarth and alfa websites/forums suggest the part can be very cheap for those brands.

Fiat dealership gave me the price for the gearbox recognition switch? My battery test said 80% is that ok? It looks to be the original battery? I’m lost I don’t know what’s wrong with it and I don’t want to go to fiat?

Hi, I’ve bought a new battery, getting it fitted tomorrow, needs diagnostic to sort it, think it’s definitely battery as I used the car more and the warning lights went off, I’ll update later in case anyone else is having the same problem

Battery was 80%. OK, but 80% of what?

Many Fiats use the reversing light switch for diagnostic purposes. Check the reverse bulb contacts, check the switch, check engine and battery earth points.

Also fit a voltmeter where you can see it. They cost about £5 and should be wired to a circuit that's on when the ignition is on. That will show you any trends of low voltage after starting the car or loading it with steering or or large electrical loads

Just to update, had new battery fitted, start stop working again and no warning lights so hopefully it’s sorted, thanks for the replies and advice ???

Back