General Retainer ring for wheel center cap?

Currently reading:
General Retainer ring for wheel center cap?

Is there a better name for the metal clip in the picture (supporting the plastic prongs) and more importantly, where can one find them (pref in Europe (missing the UK being part of the EU..!))..? The size is; wire diameter 2mm and ring dia 52mm.

The b -95 lost a hub cap (Borbet #2893) after a tyre change, I barely was able to source replacements, but when they came they were lacking the retainer ring(s). I'm going bananas trying to find new rings, and any advice would be greatly appreciated! Nowadays thicker and/or better plastics seem to have replaced these things on hub caps.

Thanks!

Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 13.01.28.png

I fear a scrap yard is your best bet. You could google steel tensioner ring with the size/ Someone at a tyre place damage one of our centre caps a while back. Centre caps are c.£50 each so I have an opposite issue. You may find a suitable part on another make of car that would do. I suppose its a wire spring washer?

• Thanks
Reactions: tjr
You could find a set of caps on Ebay kleinanzeigen, if paying 50€ for a broken stuff is ok with you.
Otherwise, I would try DIY approach. Perhaps it could be possible to create a solid insert of rubber(ish) material, glued into place to hold the plastic teeth?

Thank you all kindly for search terms @The Panda Nut, good intentions ;) @Wiltshire Chris and alternate ideas @wapper!

I was stuck on material and shape concerning alternate solutions...:
1) I was starting to search for a stainless tension coil spring with the right dimensions (52/2mm), to chop up
2) I did find 2mm stainless spring steel rods "readily available". Not being in the biz, I automatically assumed spring steel would not wind and perform without proper heat treatment. Today Wikipedia raised my hopes a tad; "...the most common being spring steel. Small springs can be wound from pre-hardened stock...". Next would be to define what Wikipedia considers small springs (a conundrum for Chat GPT?) or more likely time for some trial and error.

Also... returning to the Wikipedia claim, perhaps even simpler is indeed to purchase the most similar retainer ring/steel tensioner ring/wire spring washer as suggested by @The Panda Nut, and shape to size. It needs to be a good shape/fit though, the margins of error don't seem huge (broken plastic teeth when mounting vs another hub cap lost when the b has the zoomies).

How about this: https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=20115311&vat_inc=true

OD = 51.8mm

Certainly worth a punt. Only possible problem is that being a Snap Ring it will be to strong to compress and removal of cap may prove difficult.

A better suggestion is to tape around the lugs and then fill the center of the cap with RTV silicon. This stuff is easy to mix and pour and will then be nice and springy. If the hub nut / wheel boss is a problem/protrusion (I don't think it will be)then you can put an inner tube into the cap recess so as to form and RTV doughnut ring.

Last edited:
Is there a better name for the metal clip in the picture (supporting the plastic prongs) and more importantly, where can one find them (pref in Europe (missing the UK being part of the EU..!))..? The size is; wire diameter 2mm and ring dia 52mm.

The b -95 lost a hub cap (Borbet #2893) after a tyre change, I barely was able to source replacements, but when they came they were lacking the retainer ring(s). I'm going bananas trying to find new rings, and any advice would be greatly appreciated! Nowadays thicker and/or better plastics seem to have replaced these things on hub caps.

Thanks!

View attachment 421589

Thanks!

View attachment 421589
these have the right size spring clips you require.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
  • Thanks
Thank you all kindly for search terms @The Panda Nut, good intentions ;) @Wiltshire Chris and alternate ideas @wapper!

I was stuck on material and shape concerning alternate solutions...:
1) I was starting to search for a stainless tension coil spring with the right dimensions (52/2mm), to chop up
2) I did find 2mm stainless spring steel rods "readily available". Not being in the biz, I automatically assumed spring steel would not wind and perform without proper heat treatment. Today Wikipedia raised my hopes a tad; "...the most common being spring steel. Small springs can be wound from pre-hardened stock...". Next would be to define what Wikipedia considers small springs (a conundrum for Chat GPT?) or more likely time for some trial and error.

Also... returning to the Wikipedia claim, perhaps even simpler is indeed to purchase the most similar retainer ring/steel tensioner ring/wire spring washer as suggested by @The Panda Nut, and shape to size. It needs to be a good shape/fit though, the margins of error don't seem huge (broken plastic teeth when mounting vs another hub cap lost when the b has the zoomies).
Thanks @Noideadave and @s130!

What I (finally) ended up doing was cutting off a piece of spring steel from a spare (Seat) wheel cover lying around, and shaping it around a pipe with roughly the right diameter (w hammer & vice). It took a little while but, all went well, and cold shaping went fine. We'll see how long it lasts, but so far it and the hub cap are staying put.

Thanks @Noideadave and @s130!

What I (finally) ended up doing was cutting off a piece of spring steel from a spare (Seat) wheel cover lying around, and shaping it around a pipe with roughly the right diameter (w hammer & vice). It took a little while but, all went well, and cold shaping went fine. We'll see how long it lasts, but so far it and the hub cap are staying put.
Sounds like a solution 👍

Back