Technical Replacing single DIN radio (61 MyLife)

Currently reading:
Technical Replacing single DIN radio (61 MyLife)

Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🔓🎶

Sheepy1209

Hi, I know I'm probably asking a question already covered - I've done a search and think I know the answer but just want to confirm.

Basically - I've got a brand new 1.2 MyLife, which has the single-DIN Blaupunkt CD / Radio. I want to replace this with a single-DIN unit which has an AUX socket, plays MP3 CDs and, ideally, with a USB input. Loads around.

Before I buy I'm looking to confirm whether I'm right on the following:
1. The Panda has ISO connectors therefore will be a straight swap and won't need a harness adaptor
2. I'll need an ISO - DIN adaptor for the aerial

The thing I'm still not sure about is switched Live - does the Panda have one in its ISO connector, or will I need to rig one up from somewhere else? (This car has a 12V Socket on the floor, not sure if it's switched)

I recently replaced a 2006 Corsa's radio and had a similar issue - CANBUS controlled, had to run a wire round to the cigar lighter - but that one used a harness adaptor which included the extra lead.

Thanks

Sorry to bring this one up again, but it's really stupid question time!

How the heck do I get the radio out?

I've got the 'keys', and I've removed radios from cars with the same kind of key loads of times, but for some reason I just can't get this one to budge.

So is there some sort of trick?

The radio is surrounded by a plastic escutcheon and the keys go through this, so I'm assuming the whole thing comes out as one and I don't need to remove this trim piece first.

Unfortunately I can't see any way of gripping the radio or prising it forwards without damaging it.

Any ideas????

I think, & it was 2 years ago, that the keys might be handed, try swapping them over.
They push & click home, you can really haul on them once they click in.

I did it on our Panda as soon as i got it, I put a Sony X-PLOD in, very good unit for the money, blu-tooth, USB & AUX in.

Just one final thing, the Blaupunkt you're pulling out is only very basic, i put ours in our caravan & wanted to put a remote AUX in on it, the unit has the plug on the back but you can't select 'AUX-in' so it won't work!

Good Luck! Gareth

Thanks - that's what I expected, maybe the keys I got were just cheap rubbish. Ended up taking the volume knob off and gently pulling it with pliers until I could get something behind the faceplate. I haven't got a new radio yet but anything will be better than the cheap unit that's in there.

I've finally got round to fitting a Pioneer single-DIN unit with no problems whatsoever, main things to note for anyone fresh to the Panda and the forum:

• Car is a 2011 MyLife 1.2 with a basic Blaupunkt single-DIN CD/Radio
  • Removal was a pig, as I couldn't grip it to pull it out - better quality removal keys might have helped. Did it in the end though but watch out for scratching the surround
  • No wiring adapter is needed, the car is ISO standard
  • An adapter is needed to convert the aerial plug into a 'JASO' (i.e. traditional) one - dirt cheap, note that I did buy a Sony at first (took back to the shop for another reason) and that had the adapter in the box
  • The radio only operates when the engine is running
  • Settings are retained when it's turned off

All in all pretty simple - the only issue is that you can't use the radio with the engine off, unsurprisingly.

I know none of this is new but a search can bring back lots of confusing results esp for different model years so I hope this helps.

• The radio only operates when the engine is running
  • Settings are retained when it's turned off

All in all pretty simple - the only issue is that you can't use the radio with the engine off, unsurprisingly.

They must have changed them since 2009, our 59 plate Active Eco was wire to have the radio on all the time, I had to wire it properly!

Less work for you though :)

I've finally got round to fitting a Pioneer single-DIN unit with no problems whatsoever, main things to note for anyone fresh to the Panda and the forum:

• Car is a 2011 MyLife 1.2 with a basic Blaupunkt single-DIN CD/Radio
  • Removal was a pig, as I couldn't grip it to pull it out - better quality removal keys might have helped. Did it in the end though but watch out for scratching the surround

Hi, could you (or anyone else) elaborate on how to get the B£$(**£ thing out please? I've got the removal keys, they click into the holes and lock into place, but nothing seems to budge. Does the inner radio come out of the larger single din surround? Or does the whole single din part including the keys come out together? Do I have to lever somewhere or just pull on the keys?

Judging by my forum searches most people 'simply' remove in about 5 seconds flat!

I've got some trim tools if I need to lever, but I just can't see how to budge the damn thing! :bang:

Photo of my unit here for clarity on which one it is:
WP_000059.jpg

The whole thing comes out, key's included. Push the keys into the holes, I think there should be a 'click', then you normally have to push them towards the centre of the unit whilst also pulling in order to get it moving. I hope that makes sense, it's difficult to explain. As he whole lot comes out you'll need a replacement fascia for any aftermarket unit you've bought.

The whole thing comes out, key's included. Push the keys into the holes, I think there should be a 'click', then you normally have to push them towards the centre of the unit whilst also pulling in order to get it moving. I hope that makes sense, it's difficult to explain. As he whole lot comes out you'll need a replacement fascia for any aftermarket unit you've bought.

Hi many thanks that makes sense - Let me guess - there are no aftermarket fascias to fit in the gap and I'll have to buy a whole new double height fascia with a correct sized slot in it?

I borrowed some removal keys from a friend - unfortunately he'd lost one of his good ones. The two cheap ones he had don't click inside the unit, the one good one does but pops out before the radio moves. I've just been to Halfrauds to buy some more (getting desperate can you tell?) and those don't blinkin well fit through the holes - they've been flattened off so that they're a mm or so too wide :mad: :bang: :mad:

So I'm giving up for tonight to avoid breaking anything :eek: and will try again tomorrow night. Sigh.

Hi - got your PM.

Yes I did manage to get my old radio out, not particularly elegantly either.....I had the same problem where the keys would grip but not strongly enough to pull the unit out. I think the reason is that there's felt glued to the radio to stop it rattling and it makes it a very snug fit.

All I did in the end was wrap a thin cloth round a small screwdriver, and slightly prise out one side, then do the other side and gradually waggle it free - hard to describe but it worked! I think the radio comes out with the trim attached but can't remember exactly.

Regarding the facia - if you're fitting a new single DIN head unit you don't need a new facia, it will fit in the space vacated by the old radio (or at least my JVC did).

Good luck!

Last edited:
My stereo removal keys were useless for the Panda. The work-around for me was to use 4 small pozidrive screwdrivers that happened to fit perfectly into the holes and could be pushed right in. Once fully inserted it was possible to apply a slight lateral force to the screwdriver handles so that the stereo could be pulled out without the screwdrivers slipping out.

Well I managed to get the b*gger out finally using the one decent key that I had. Lateral force is indeed needed and some anger helped too ;-) Yes there was loads of velcro stuck around the unit which made it hard to get out. Probably to stop it rattling.

As well as the ISO connector there were some other coloured ones - anyone know what they are? Presumably for factory fit amps/subwoofers/steering wheel controls etc?

Haven't fitted the new radio yet as I still need to remove the existing cage and get the right aerial adapter. Am taking photos as I go.

One thing I noticed is that there's no power to the new unit when the ignition is OFF (this seems to be what everyone else is trying to achieve!). However I want power so the little red LED flashes when the fascia is removed. Plus I guess it'll forget all the radio presets too. I think some cable swapping may fix it going by the installation instructions for the new one..

Cheers!

Hi there folks, thought it would be better to bump this than start a new thread,posters seemed to have made it helpfully clear that the Standard Iso connector at the back should mean that's a straight swap, however what's the score with the antenna cable, is there an adapter needed?

Hi there folks, thought it would be better to bump this than start a new thread,posters seemed to have made it helpfully clear that the Standard Iso connector at the back should mean that's a straight swap, however what's the score with the antenna cable, is there an adapter needed?

More often than not you'll need an aerial adapter yes.

Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🔓🎶
Back