Replacing Royal Crest with EU?

Currently reading:
Replacing Royal Crest with EU?

Well, as has been said....The Daily Mail, but there is an EU standard death certificate which is at present used for the repatriation of human remains.

I deal with them on a fairly regular basis and they include the following really useful information:

Date of Birth. Useful.
Place of Birth. Useful.
Date of Death. Useful.
Place of Death. Useful.
Mother of Deceased. Useful......if she's still alive.
Father of Deceased. Useful......if he's still alive.
Cause of Death. Not given. Some countries (notably France) don't allow this information as it contravenes their privacy law.

What is important in the matter of those who die abroad, is for the Coroner to know the cause of death in order to decide if a Post Mortem is necessary.

To me, a death certificate is only really useful if it contains the cause of death, otherwise, what's the point? I would wonder what information may be missing from an EU certificate.

It wouldn't surprise me if the EU Commissioners wanted this as it would give them another department to run and therefore more money to earn/more ways to meddle in our lives/more influence/more ways to cost the citizens of Europe more dosh.

I think that in many ways Europe has been a force for good. Almost every section of the press here has banged on for years about how NCAP would simply cost us more and more money until only the rich could afford cars. The same goes for emissions regulations. As a result we now have safer, cleaner cars.

There is a strong argument that EC crash helmet testing is not as stringent or effective as the old BSI tests, and I'm convinced that EU regulations have made the motorways less safe by having lower standards for HGV spray suppression. In a similar vein, in the early '80s the dim/dip headlight regs were introduced which meant that small sidelights were rendered obsolete and partially pre-dated EC daytime running lights by 30 years or more.

I am a fan of Europe, but not of European political and monetary integration and, this just looks like another attempt to integrate us further for absolutely no good reason.

Right, I'm going to look at my Times world map showing all the countries of the world coloured red that make up the British Empire. God save the King!

Rule Britannia, Britannia rules the waves, Britons never, never, never shall be slaves. Rule Britanniazzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited:
As said below, it is involuntary integration that bears no clear reasoning or justification for doing so. I much prefer the royal crest which is highly significant of the country I am from.

Thanks for the replies :)

What practical difference does it make?

What practical difference does it make?

Absolutely none. It's the fact that the country are having less of a say in things. When will it be time to fly the EU flag as oppose to Union Jack? Will we get a say in it or will we wake up to the 'news'?

I remember speaking with you a while ago, you have some good points and I know you will come back with something that will make me reconsider my points

Absolutely none. It's the fact that the country are having less of a say in things. When will it be time to fly the EU flag as oppose to Union Jack? Will we get a say in it or will we wake up to the 'news'?

I remember speaking with you a while ago, you have some good points and I know you will come back with something that will make me reconsider my points
You've just done the typical thing that people do - make a claim about something that's never going to happen.

They're not going to stop people flying their national flags, let's just not go down the route of even talking about that.

You've just done the typical thing that people do - make a claim about something that's never going to happen.

They're not going to stop people flying their national flags, let's just not go down the route of even talking about that.

My argument is obviously invalid....shot down by those of greater knowledge. Suppose its the way we learn.

its a union flag iirc its only a jack if its on a boat/ship.
time to stop flying it will be if Scotland gets its independence
Not a lot of people know that. In fact, I think the Jack Staff is the one right in the prow of the ship. Although I'm not sure, I think that the pole you hang a flag from that juts out from a building, usually at an angle of about 45 degrees is also known as a Flag Staff or a flagstaff, as in Flagstaff Airizona

Personally I don't think you're entirely right about that. The true Europhiles believe that the EU flag should take precedence over national flags. If you take the principle of EU financing, on the face of it, the EU provides money for large infrastructure projects and those projects always have the EU flag on the sign and the legend "Part funded by the European Union" (or words to that effect).

In actual fact, what this is is money provided by one European country to another. Instead of, for instance, Germany lending €100M to Spain for a bridge, the wealthier countries give money to the EU, which costs a fortune for the administration, who then give it to other countries to use, which in turn costs yet another fortune.

You could argue that when there's a new sports stadium that receives EU funding, we effectively lend the money to ourselves and pay the EU millions for the privilege of doing it. If the EU bureaucrats had their way every country in the EC would cough up all their tax revenue for them to re-distribute as they see fit. The true Eurozealots firmly believe that this organisation is all that has kept the continent free from war. That's an easy argument to make bearing in mind that there hasn't been one within the EC area since 1945. However they've obviously never heard of a civil war.

Even then, that's an easy argument to defeat. The Spanish and Greek civil wars were before the Common Market was really up and running the the Jugoslav civil war was in an area outside the area. Spain was being fought over by a combination of Communists on one side and Fascists on the other. The Fascists were supported by Germany and Italy. Hitler and Mussolini managed to ensure that Fascism was removed from the political spectrum. Greece was also riven by fighting between the right and the left. The Balkans consisted of about 5 different nationalities all forced together into a marriage of (in)convenience.

There will always be differences of opinions and internal strife, whether it's Republicans and Unionists in Northern Ireland, or Basques in Spain, or even with the Walloons in the Nederlands, but the EU will never stop any of those simply by being a trading bloc.

There will only ever be one viable future for European unity and that's as a trading agreement, but then the Sepecat Jaguar, Puma, Gazelle and Merlin helicopters, and Concorde, not to mention the Channel Tunnel managed to get by without a massive, lumbering organisation behind it.

...In fact, I think the Jack Staff is the one right in the prow of the ship...
Correct.

It is only flown when in port - generally only Warships and Auxiliaries do so these days.

However, it is still acceptable to refer to it as either Union Jack or Flag in any circumstance.

So would anyone prefer the EU logo as oppose to the royal crest?

This is bogus. What would the rest of the Commonwealth use if England had to change to EU?

It's another anti-Euro smear to join the rest of the Daily Mail's campaign to get the Euro supporting Torys out.

The Beard. The fiat forum fount of knowledge!
Phew, that's a relief, I mis-read fount for a moment there. I try to be logical and reasoning, however, the day I become illogical and unreasonable is fast approaching, which leaves only one question in my mind:

Will I still be able to log onto Fiat Forum from an assisted living environment?

Perhaps I should add incontinence and drooling to the above list.

Last edited:
Back