Technical Replacement key.

Currently reading:
Technical Replacement key.

Our 2008 registered Panda has only ever had one key - the sort you have to put in the lock and turn in order to open all the doors, although you have to reuse it to open the boot.
We've been trying to get another key for it - we're in Normandy and Fiat dealers are few and far between.
First tried a key place in one of our relatively local (40 km away) hypermarkets, but the very helpful chap there was unable to recode the potential replacement key, it would light up the 2 bulbs on his little gizmo whilst he was sat in the car turning the ignition on and off, separately but not together, so we got 'computer says no'. He told us a replacement from Fiat would be about €200.
A visit to the Fiat dealership in the same town (Avranches) was very instructive - the potential total cost would have been in the region of €500 if we needed a replacement card.
A couple of questions arise (apart from are Fiat taking the p***), would the original other key have had some sort of remote locking / unlocking, and if so is it possible to get one of these and where from (we'll be in the UK for a week from the end of Feb), and would it be possible for a non Fiat dealership key provider to make us a new one without the car being present.
My parting shot as I left the Fiat dealers was that 'it might be cheaper to trade it in for a newer one with a complete set of keys' the storeman nodded in agreement - the wife's response to the price was unrepeatable in polite company.
Any advice / help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for that - would they need to have access to the car or would just the key do the trick?

The keys you have, one has a coded chip in it, one has a uncoded chip in it (can't turn off the orange light on dash) So cannot ignite the fuel, but operates the steering lock and turns the starter motor.

If you remove the chip from the coded key and tape it onto the sender. Any key you have had cut will operate everything. (As you have bypassed the need for a chip)

Means that the last owner or owners can also do this or a thief can smash your steering lock, and have a joyride in your panda for free.

As that's why the key is coded in the first place.

It won't help you with remote unlocking your panda though, as that was the crux of your inquiries.

Excellent, we'll bring the key over and get one sorted.
We've never had remote unlocking / locking for the 3 years we've had it so we'll carry on without it.
I must admit I found it a bit odd not having a keyhole in the passenger door but just put it down to being a 'Fiat' thing!

a working mechanical key here in the UK is under £50. Thats both cut and clone the transponder

No need to use a main dealer or use an original key
I've just done one and ended up a long way north of £that - when I found someone, that is - everyone seemed not to want to respond!

With hindsight, I could have had a punt on one of the cheap machines on AliEx and get a blank cut in Timpsons. Nothing ventured etc.

I've just done one and ended up a long way north of £that - when I found someone, that is - everyone seemed not to want to respond!

With hindsight, I could have had a punt on one of the cheap machines on AliEx and get a blank cut in Timpsons. Nothing ventured etc.
Yes £35 plus the price of some blank transponders

Because you need a few transponder chips as the are write once and don’t always work the price is the same as getting some do it for you

China products are hit and miss. Some work some don’t. Plenty of video of the Zed Bull working on a fiat. For a one off probably not worth it

a working mechanical key here in the UK is under £50. Thats both cut and clone the transponder

No need to use a main dealer or use an original key
I had two cut for teh Perodua and they were £34 each 5 years ago and were done while Im waited. Fiay order from a central esource and are a lot more. Surely a google of french auto locksmiths would turn up a suitable place

Thanks very much for all the responses.
I will try a few more places here, but they tend to be few and far between.
We're coming back to Bristol, so much more likely to find someone there without having to travel miles!

Back