General Replaced the fan resistor

Currently reading:
General Replaced the fan resistor

Creekmoorchris

Replaced the fan resistor today. Needed to be a bit double jointed but all done and I have all fan speeds back again. £10 for the resistor and half an hour of being upside down, in a small tight space and much swearing. But done.

Attachments

• D65EF8E1-2B3F-4A30-AF7D-98F238F61967.jpeg
    D65EF8E1-2B3F-4A30-AF7D-98F238F61967.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 153
  • F1DFB7E9-A930-4DF7-AE8F-4EE12B65842A.jpeg
    F1DFB7E9-A930-4DF7-AE8F-4EE12B65842A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
  • CE532289-9394-4268-A2B6-CE5DCBFBA992.jpeg
    CE532289-9394-4268-A2B6-CE5DCBFBA992.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 66
Hi,

How to access this part of the car? Is it inside the glove-box? What to dismount to have access to it?

Hi. It’s under neath the plastic panel on the passenger side, in the Uk. Remove the plastic panel held on by standard plastic panel fixings (note 2 of mine snapped when removing, but I had spares!).

Then on the right hand side of the space, you will see an opaque plastic box. Here will be a plug with possibly 5 wires. Un plug it. Then the resistor pack will need to be either unscrewed or un bolted. This is quite tricky and means getting upside down and double jointed!

Once undone the resistor pack will just slide out.

The new resistor pack can then be replaced and then the revers procedure.

As with all electrical work I would suggest that the battery is disconnected before starting work.

Good luck and here are some pictures as o did mine.

Attachments

• D7AAD5F4-A3E5-47F7-AC18-4C87E92E3172.jpeg
    D7AAD5F4-A3E5-47F7-AC18-4C87E92E3172.jpeg
    798.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 0FC19E8F-350B-4809-945E-80CC154AE397.jpeg
    0FC19E8F-350B-4809-945E-80CC154AE397.jpeg
    746.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 9F1710D4-85D0-4353-8CA0-E1771242A88B.jpeg
    9F1710D4-85D0-4353-8CA0-E1771242A88B.jpeg
    536.5 KB · Views: 45
Some advice:
- Don't dismount the glove box. It is not necessary. If you decide to dismount it: under no circumstances unscrew the hook for the lock! It is easy to make the mistake because there are 3 screws in the row and only the middle one keeps it.
- No need to be double-jointed. But some caving experience is required. :) The best way to access the part is to lie down on your right side. And your head should be where the passenger has their feet :)
- Unfortunately, I ordered the wrong part. It seems, the diesel version has a different resistor module than the gas Qubo. :(
They all look the same. But there is a difference with the small circular bolts.
- The resistor pack should be easy to dismount and mount again, considering, you will shift it down along its longer axis.

Attachments

• aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Those are part numbers for both the diesel and gas version of Qubo. They both use the same part. If ordering from ebay you need to be particularly cautious because it seems, sellers don't always know what they sell.

PART NUMBER: S4P27004
OEM NUMBER: 55702407

So, what I wrote above is not true:
It seems, the diesel version has a different resistor module than the gas Qubo. :(
They all look the same. But there is a difference with the small circular bolts.

Well that was fun!

I had the old one out inside 5 minutes and it took a further 2 hours to get the new one in including 2 days driving round with the unit held in place with a piece of wood and a wedge below that to trap it in place. That bolt was a nightmare to reinstall.
The old bolt was 5.5mm, I was using a small socket in fingers to (try and) replace and after about 90 goes (couldn't find the hole..) it slipped out of my cold fingers and then dropped behind the panel in the floor. The new resistor pack was supplied with a bolt that's 6mm so I had another go and getting it in and after much hassle got it in.

I then had to prise a panel off the floor which revealed a further two nuts to be able to remove a scuttle that wouldn't lift right out (what is all this mystery under the floor??) and so I risked losing fingers rummaging behind to try and find the missing hex socket. The bolt was still stuck in it.
Tip:Use a little blu-tack to hold screws/bolts in the socket for such awkward access, it''ll make your life a lot easier!

I did the wedging of the resistor into the mount because even just testing it out in the open when I put the new on into the wiring loom fitting, it got warm really quickly so I decided the place it lives is in the line of the ducted air which keeps it cool. The next day as I drove to work I could smell that distinctive 'hot electronics' aroma which I put down to its newness and the smell went off after about 15 minutes.

So basically it's an easy swap but be prepared with a good light, a good back, 5.5mm or 6mm sockets (mine are from a small 1/4" drive set so low profile) a lot of patience and the ability to be flexible. You can do it lying across the seats or from leaning in through the pax door.

My car has spent its life up to now in the Isle of Skye where according to a brief look at the map has most of its main road round the perimeter of the island, so by the sea. That I thought perhaps accounted for the awful rusty state of the resistor (my pic below) but looking at the picture above in Creekmoorchris's post, his too is red rust! Maybe it's just pulling all air in and passing it over the unit makes it rust as there's bare metal?

R-V-M

IMG_5202.jpg

Back