Technical Fan blower motor resistor issues

Currently reading:
Technical Fan blower motor resistor issues

Martyn Legg

Qubo fan has decided to only run on setting 4. Advised to fit new resistor, £13 off eBay, lasted about 3 to 4 days then realised it had stopped. Told that eBay ones are rubbish so bought Fiat part locally at £35, lasted half the journey back home. Returned to the garage, no one has any idea, advised to purchase a new blower, quoted £508 fitted. Purchased an identical blower which seems to be used by multiple car manufacturers for £34. Attempted to fit the blower today and realised that two of the fixings are virtually inaccessible. Is it easy to remove the glove box to gain access to fixings? Now wondering if it really is the blower, it works very well on its no 4 setting.

Any thoughts and experience on this, is it something else? What am I missing?

Thanks, M

Is it possible your original fan motor is old and doesn't spin freely thereby putting strain on the circuit and the resister so burning it out.
Can you see if you can reach the fan blades with ignition off;) and see if you can flick it and it spins freely.
If it doesn't, as a cheat try spraying WD40 behind the blades as near to the fan motor bearings are and possibly whilst fan going.
I have had success particularly where fan has been off all Summer and now slow to work.
It may help if you don't mind the smell of WD40 for a few days after.;)

Is it possible your original fan motor is old and doesn't spin freely thereby putting strain on the circuit and the resister so burning it out.
Can you see if you can reach the fan blades with ignition off;) and see if you can flick it and it spins freely.
If it doesn't, as a cheat try spraying WD40 behind the blades as near to the fan motor bearings are and possibly whilst fan going.
I have had success particularly where fan has been off all Summer and now slow to work.
It may help if you don't mind the smell of WD40 for a few days after.;)
Thanks, it seems well worth a go, I'll try tomorrow.

Back