Technical removing roof rails.

Currently reading:
Technical removing roof rails.

I'll take some pics of the hatch tomorrow

You could paint the roof without removing any of that stuff, but IMO it would not be a good job. The roof bars really are a 15 min job to remove, the rear high brake light comes out in minutes too with no tools really. You don't need to drop the whole headlining to get the antenna off.

It's a false economy I reckon leaving the stuff on.

OK. U convinced me :)
Really, Does the hi brake light just pop out, no screws.....?

Looking really good!

I guess all you are waiting on now is the Penguin decals :)

Out of interest, how much should I expect to pay for orange mirror covers?

Thanks in advance

As triumph said, just the top above the glass.

4x4Panda I also need the wheels centre caps, which I'll have to wait until I find a part number.
I'm not doing the penquin sticker ;) nor am I on the look out for a pumpkin interior. Too much money to go that far. I'll leave my pillar badges as they are too.

If you want some mirror caps, you'll have to buy some and get them painted.
They aren't available as an accessory. But in true blue peter style, here's some I made earlier.
I got 2 brand new pairs painted as the cost of 1 pair was not much cheaper than 2.

If you want them. £65 posted.

I'll be putting them in the for sale section at some point but if you want them, you can have them. I'll put some pics up later.

Last edited:

triumph7 Do you have the third rear seat belt?
I've just noticed that the trim around the roof mounted belt wasn't refitted properly.
It is only held on with 3 screws. I undid it and put it back properly.
I noticed whilst it was out, you can see quite easily see the underside of the antenna.
Removal would be quite easy.

One thing I've learned over the years is to do as much work (within your capabilities) yourself as you can when you're fettling your car. No-one will take as much care as you do.

Last edited:

triumph7 Do you have the third rear seat belt?
I've just noticed that the trim around the roof mounted belt wasn't refitted properly.
It is only held on with 3 screws. I undid it and put it back properly.
I noticed whilst it was out, you can see quite easily see the underside of the antenna.
Removal would be quite easy.

One thing I've learned over the years is to do as much work (within your capabilities) yourself as you can when you're fettling your car. No-one will take as much care as you do.

Hi
Thanks for the rear pic. Looks good. I think it'll look good with my orange car too.
No, I have the 2 rear seat slide option.... I guess I'll have a poke around and see how the headlining is fixed.
Agree with advise about doing as much myself - dread the thought of oily fingerprints all over the headlining....

Yep, open tailgate, pull off the "panda" trim cover, and squeeze the clips together on the back of the brake light.
I think I used my ignition key. It just pops out.

My local body shop want 'about' 400 quid! Back to the drawing board I think. Vinyl is 190 but I think paint will look much better......

I expect to go and have a look at a Webasto Hollandia 400 next week at South West Sunroofs, near Tiverton. I've told Nigel Thomas, who runs the outfit, that my concerns are the risk of weakening the structure of the car, and the size of the actual opening achieved in relation to the hole that's made in the roof - so we'll see how it goes.

I expect to go and have a look at a Webasto Hollandia 400 next week at South West Sunroofs, near Tiverton. I've told Nigel Thomas, who runs the outfit, that my concerns are the risk of weakening the structure of the car, and the size of the actual opening achieved in relation to the hole that's made in the roof - so we'll see how it goes.

Great. Good luck and look forward to hear what they say.....

As triumph said, just the top above the glass.

4x4Panda I also need the wheels centre caps, which I'll have to wait until I find a part number.
I'm not doing the penquin sticker ;) nor am I on the look out for a pumpkin interior. Too much money to go that far. I'll leave my pillar badges as they are too.

If you want some mirror caps, you'll have to buy some and get them painted.
They aren't available as an accessory. But in true blue peter style, here's some I made earlier.
I got 2 brand new pairs painted as the cost of 1 pair was not much cheaper than 2.

If you want them. £65 posted.

I'll be putting them in the for sale section at some point but if you want them, you can have them. I'll put some pics up later.

Hi deeyup - I would like them very much :). Can i send you a PM with my address? I can send you a cheque or Paypal or whatever suits you.

:)

Yes, I really like the black roof. I think the orange car would look great with it.

I was looking at the 500L's in the showroom the other day. The make quite a few of them with contrasting white or black roofs. Looks good.

Am I correct in assuming that the headling can be dropped sufficiently to access the aerial by loosening the rubber seal, removing the 2 plastic side mouldings & removing the 2 clips at the rear centre of the headlining?
Is the aerial itself just one bolt?

Am I correct in assuming that the headling can be dropped sufficiently to access the aerial by loosening the rubber seal, removing the 2 plastic side mouldings & removing the 2 clips at the rear centre of the headlining?
Is the aerial itself just one bolt?

Can't say for sure as I didn't do it, but generally what you said. You may need to pull off the b pillar covers too. The antenna is just one nut.

Haven't made it to the Webasto fitter this week but we have spoekn. It seems there's an additional car strengthening kit for fitting to the Panda - answering one of the questions that arose earlier - at a cost for the bits of 200 quid + VAT - so a complete fabric roof would be about 1500 all together. Have to think about that but not ruled out.

Back