Remote Activity Logging...?

Currently reading:
Remote Activity Logging...?

evening ladies and gentlemen!

ok im gonna cut straight to the point... a friends parents have asked me to look into a way of capturing activity on a windows based computer regardless of any logged in user(s). aside from 'Guest Accounts' and 'Parental Controls' is there any pieces of software you guys are aware of?

heres what i feel would be required:-
silent operation (i.e. not shown in taskbar and a discreet trace on task manager)
ability to save keystrokes and full internet history to either a discreet folder that would be hidden deep in the HDD OR to be saved on a different machine either within the LAN or over the internet on a machine in a different household.
be able to log 'in private' style browsing and not be affected by deletion of history and cookies.

the reasons being there is a family member that has a history of 'Saville-esque' activities and is currently on bail, due to the nature of the lady of the house's work it would be frowned upon to have this activity on anything that she is connected to. the behaviour of said family member has become increasingly 'shadey' over the past few months but due to the fragile nature of it all it would be favourable to have evidence rather than unsubstantiated accusations.

by the way im purposefully being quite vague but i hope it makes sense.

If its internet activity you are after and the PC is connected via network cable and you could hide it then I'd use a lan tap. That way no software is required on the PC and you can just sniff off the activity with something like Wireshark.
You can actually so it without the physical lan tap by doing some ARP trickery with Cain and Abel. You can then direct the targets traffic though your machine and sniff it out. If there is something specific you can combine it with SNORT to detect keywords, ip addresses or patterns.

BTW I learned all this in a perfectly legal Forensic Computing module a few years ago at uni (y)

thanks colin ill look into it!

Unknown:- im not after a keylogger... after all it may not all be keyboard inputs... what about mouse inputs to different sites

Back