Tuning Remap GP 1.9Mjet + Extras

Currently reading:
Tuning Remap GP 1.9Mjet + Extras

Dave UK

GP Abarth One Day!!
Hi,
Ive been doing a lot of reading around about this and just thought id ask a couple of questions!

Ive always had Fiats however this is the first time ive ever had a sporting version! Would love to get the abarth but simply just cant afford it at present, so thought id add some extras to mine.

Ive looked at Angel Tuning and they can carry out the remap for £235 if I goto them. That will give it an estimated 45bhp and 65Lb ft increase.

Ive been looking at their website at induction kits and it states the following -

Angel Tuning can also provide the excellent BMC Carbon Dynamic Induction kit. Whilst the CDA increases the power on its own (+4-6%), it also allows us to increase the power of the initial mapping due to the improved air flow rate. CDA’s can be sent out in the post from £164.50 including P&P or we offer a free fitting service when done in conjunction with engine tuning.
As an alternative to the CDA, Angel Tuning can also supply a BMC sports air filter, which uses the same washable filter element technology as the CDA’S.

This will increase the power by a further 1 – 1.5% due to the improved air flow rate and further improve the throttle response. Prices are from £32.50
including P&P or free fitting with engine tuning.
Probably a stupid question, but in simple terms, what actually is an induction kit? and also would the BMC Carbon Dynamic Kit be worth having installed?

If I had the Induction Kit and the remap, would there be anything else I would need to consider?

This is all very new to me, but slowly picking things up! Had a T reg fiat punto, then moved onto an 04 plate punto before getting a 06 1.3 90 mjet. Gave that to the missus and now got a 1.9mjet 130. Just want to have a nice car with a bit of power under the bonnet - maybe a midlife crisis at 27!

Edit - I dont suppose someone could explain in really simple terms what torque actually does! Had a google but got a bit lost!

Last edited:
I have both an induction kit and remap ;)

The induction kit is basically a replacement for the existing induction set up, the system is redesigned to make it more efficent. The CDA is a generic system, some people rate them some people don't. I have the GSR induction kit, which is custom made. It comprises of a silicon pipe (silicon is a great heat resistor) and a filter.

DSC_0267_1_.jpg

The induction will help the engine breath colder and denser air, meaning the fueling can further be increased in the re-map to give more power.

Torque is the twisting force exerted by the engine :)

Ive been reading all the other threads and seen GSR mentioned a lot. Im guessing this would be recommended above the CDA kit then.

The reason I was looking at Angle Tuning is because they are pretty close bu, but im guessing I should look at the GSR now! Is that the F34i on their website?

Ive been reading all the other threads and seen GSR mentioned a lot. Im guessing this would be recommended above the CDA kit then.

The reason I was looking at Angle Tuning is because they are pretty close bu, but im guessing I should look at the GSR now! Is that the F34i on their website?

I would recommend the GSR, Ive had 2 now :). The website is badly out of date, I guess it will still be called the F34i, but the new version (which I have) integrates the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor which is used in the original induction. This way, you escape the EML light. The kit comes in two pieces, piece one from the turbo to the MAF, and then from the MAF to the filter which sits behind the drivers side fog light. The car is quite loud, you can hear the turbo sucking in air. It also gives turbo chatter at low RPM's :devil:

I would recommend the GSR, Ive had 2 now :). The website is badly out of date, I guess it will still be called the F34i, but the new version (which I have) integrates the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor which is used in the original induction. This way, you escape the EML light. The kit comes in two pieces, piece one from the turbo to the MAF, and then from the MAF to the filter which sits behind the drivers side fog light. The car is quite loud, you can hear the turbo sucking in air. It also gives turbo chatter at low RPM's :devil:

My suspicion is that as with the K&N kit available the filter on the BMC/CDA will be placed in what is a warm part of the engine bay but without the 3mm thick plastic encasing it currently has.

K&N fits onto the MAF where the standard airbox is and has a support leg to keep it held in place. Cold air is supplied via a duct from below the front bumper.

I've been looking at replacing my standard induction setup with something custom built by myself using readily available silicone parts but the price (assuming the GSR is flouro lined) doesnt work out much cheaper.

Though I will have the fun of building it....hopefully to find it does work and at the very least doesnt Sap power.

On average, how much would an induction kit and re-map add onto the insurance premium? Currently 26 with 7 years no claims bonus. Paying £450 fully comp on the 1.9Mjet.

Im with Bell, so part of the same group.

Would you say hundreds or less?

Im with Bell, so part of the same group.

Would you say hundreds or less?

For me to add on an induction kit on its own, adds £15. Then to add on a remap with gains of 11-20% adds another £70 i think. I'm 22 though so will be less for you i'd of thought

I was asking morethan and they didn't know what A remap was! No matter how technical or simple I explained it they just couldn't get there head round it!

Alright buddy... My Mjet was remapped by Angel tuning over 2 years ago and it's been great. No problems, no extra smoke, unless I use crap supermarket diesel, much more driveable with a few extra mpg too.

I've had it on the rollers at a local motorsport company and the figures Angel quote are very realistic. Mine made 178.3 bhp and 288.6 lbft.

Not sure what difference a BMC will make on an Mjet, obviously should help wth the breathing a bit which should help burn surplus fuel. Had a Pipercross viper on my C2 VTS and that made about 5bhp difference, pretty crap as it cost me nearly 300 notes. It did sound f***ing awesome mind with it fitted! :)

How does the gsr sound on a mjet? All I ever hear is that it sounds louder, but I wouldn't really want my mjet any louder, I'd prefer a deeper sound bit more petrol like!

Also one other concern, is it reealy that low to have to worry about deep puddles cus my sister uses the car sometimes and often forgets what I said about seed bumps and it been lowered, so puddles would probably get overlooked and the outcome could potencialy be baddd!

The only thing thats loud is the turbo, you can hear it sucking air in, then chattering away at low RPM. Puddles aren't really a problem, the only time when it'l cause problems is when you try to go through something thats higher than the foglight. Even then its well protected behind it. I've tried doing videos, but all you get on them is loads of road noise. Best bet is to come to one of the shows this year and hear it for yourself :)

Adam, to get your 189bhp & 321lbft was that only by having the Red Dot Remap & GSR installed? Seems quite a difference to shropshire lads 178.3 bhp and 288.6 lbft from angel tuning.

Yes it is just Red Dot and GSR. There is something to take into account though, Red Dots rolling road is prone to over-reading on flywheel figures. My torque is taken at the flywheel, whereas Shropshirelads is probably at the wheels. I had my car RR'd at a local place last month, and the figures were around 181bhp at the flywheel and 275lbft at the wheels. Its not easy to compare figures from different RR's, so I wouldn't base your decision solely on these numbers.

Last edited:
Yes it is just Red Dot and GSR. There is something to take into account though, Red Dots rolling road is prone to over-reading on flywheel figures. My torque is taken at the flywheel, whereas Shropshirelads is probably at the wheels. I had my car RR'd at a local place last month, and the figures were around 181bhp at the flywheel and 275lbft at the wheels. Its not easy to compare figures from different RR's, so I wouldn't base your decision solely on these numbers.

275lb ft relate to over 320lb ft on the flywheel. The power output differs 4% from the reading you had previously. I wouldn't call this over reading. When I was working with Red Dot we had rr graphs from many rrs that showed similar results on many cars.

275lb ft relate to over 320lb ft on the flywheel. The power output differs 4% from the reading you had previously. I wouldn't call this over reading. When I was working with Red Dot we had rr graphs from many rrs that showed similar results on many cars.

Don't get me wrong, Im not putting Red Dot down or saying the figures are useless. I was more than happy with the slight variations, along with the fact you have to take into account the possible under-reading of the RR I had done in Leeds. 4% does make a large amount of difference though at this stage, and therefore can be seen in the 8bhp difference. All I'm saying is don't take the figures at face value :)

Back