General Reducing tax band ??

Currently reading:
General Reducing tax band ??

its_jon

Is it possible to reduce your tax band ??

For example by remapping the engine in order to get a lower emissions certificate ?

I would imagine that if such a certificate were produced the post office would have to issue a tax disk for a lower band......

eg..... The Stilo 1.6 for example is 173 co2/kg
...The top end of the lower band is 170 co2/kg

That's a TINY percentage !! but a £30 saving

Surely something minor could be done to the engine in order to produce a slightly reduce co2 reading ???

Different spark plugs at mot time for example - or pulling of a pipe somewhere ???

Last edited:

For example by remapping the engine in order to get a lower emissions certificate ?

I would imagine that if such a certificate were produced the post office would have to issue a tax disk for a lower band......

Surely something minor could be done to the engine in order to produce a slightly reduce co2 reading ???

Different spark plugs at mot time for example - or pulling of a pipe somewhere ???

It's a good question but I think the band that the vehicle falls into is set by the manufacturer provided test vehicle data when the models are first introduced to the UK. I don't believe it possible to change it after that... unless you maybe put your vehicle through an SVA? Can you do for an already registered etc vehicle? I'd say no... but hey, what do I know :D

Maybe not possible at the moment but possibly if the system was challenged by a good legal team it may be possible...

The facts are:-

- The government want us to reduce our emissions
- The government want us to reduce our oil consumption
- To encourage us to do this they have introduced a tax system based on emissions

What I propose:-

- The public should be rewarded by complying with the governments policy,
If we can prove that our engine fits into a lower tax band we should be rewarded in line with their own tax system. Which to be fair ..... is absolutely fair !

So.... how do we make this possible is the next question.

What pressure group could make this happen ?... the RAC ? The BBC ?

I want to save the planet and fix my engine so that it fits into a lower tax band which is good for everyone. doesn't everyone ? how could they possibly not reward such action. ? :)

Last edited:
Buy a Panda lower emissions road tax insurance and fun all in one swoop..:D

It is, but unfortunately, it has to done in the first instance by the manufacture. This is from Parker's web site:

"To make matters even more confusing, Parker’s has found a widespread practice in which car makers tweak the CO2 outputs of cars that are on the edges of the band boundaries. This is so they drop a band and become cheaper to run.

One example is the Citroen C4 fitted with the 1.6-litre HDI diesel - but there are countless others. When it was launched in 2004, the C4 1.6 HDI diesel was a 125 g/km car; from January 2008 it’s 120 g/km – just squeezing into Band B and going from £120 a year to just £35. That’s great news for new buyers – who will pay far less tax – but a maze for the used buyer to navigate at a time when the road tax system is more confusing than ever."

Back