Red GPS: Paint Protection

Currently reading:
Red GPS: Paint Protection

Just purchased a GPS, Red, sat at a dealers for a few months so i want to give it a good polish/wax.

any tips on how to avoid red paint fading over time, also a few blemishes on the tailgate (seems to be residue from a sticker) iv used bug and tar remover but nothing, any tips to remove them?

give it a good claying, polish and wax should come up brill, and newer red paints are less likely to fade than older ones anyhow different make up to avoid the "pinking" of red paint

As above, modern reds are clearcoated to prevent them oxidising in the way that old reds used to.

Claying the car is an excellent idea and will provide you with a good base to add protection from.

Protection wise, on a budget your best bet will be some autoglym Super Resin Polish - apply a coat of this very thinly then buff off with a microfibre towel. This will cleanse the paint of any impurities and also apply some filling resins to any swirl marks the car may have, reducing their visibility. Repeating the coat of Super Resin Polish will increase this affect. just make sure to use as little product as possible else it will start to 'dust' when buffed off.

Follow this with a coat of Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection sealant, again using multiple thin coats, this will bond to the polish underneath and provide a durable, UV resistant film to protect the paint. Repeat this every 2 months to keep the paint in good shape.

Hope that helps!

as has already being said red doesn't fade like it used to..

give the car a good clean

don't know if you have read this its a good place to start as care of your paint should start with a good wash technique,

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4637

now onto claying

have a watch of this

at this time of year clay needs to be kept warm in a bowl of warm water this stuff is ideal for cooler weather fold it regularly (every 1-2 sq ft)

http://www.bilthamber.com/autoclay.html (soft)

with this you don't need the quick detail spray just tap water in a plant sprayer (you can't use too much water)

then lightly wash and dry the car again then on to polish as cross over black has said SRP is good and easy to get hold of just keep it off any black textured trim (i use automotive masking tape)

then seal/wax EGP does have a UV filter in give the car 2 coats of this 24 hours apart (and leave it to "cure" for 1 hour or more if you have a garage the longer its left the easier it buffs off)

at this stage you can stop but for added durability a couple of coats of Collinite 476 or 915 again at least 24 hours apart to get the best durability

or if you dont want to polish you can clay then use AutoBalm this contains fillers to hide swirl and small scratch marks

http://www.bilthamber.com/autobalm.html

hope that helps (y)

Follow this with a coat of Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection sealant, again using multiple thin coats, this will bond to the polish underneath and provide a durable, UV resistant film to protect the paint. Repeat this every 2 months to keep the paint in good shape.

Hope that helps!

Much better sealants/ waxes out there than that. To protect the paint after polishing look at jetseal 109 or victoria councours red wax :) Or even better use both!

Much better sealants/ waxes out there than that. To protect the paint after polishing look at jetseal 109 or victoria councours red wax :) Or even better use both!

The AG stuff isn't that bad tbh. In light of my wax order not being placed yet (still undecided) i banged on a coat of AG SRP and 3 coats of EGP on the 100hp and shes still doing well.

The Zaino stuff is good from what ive seen, bloody expensive though. Why not invest in a tin of collinite? Always a winner

SRP is good, i just dont like EGP personally. Next wax i buy will be vics again as i really liked that along with a polishing maching with pad/polish combination included with it.

Better? Or just more 'boutique'?
Not a fan of Jetseal myself, as far as I'm concerned Zaino is far superior, but it can be tricky to use (IPA wipedown etc) so I didn't recommend that as I wasn't sure if the OP was familiar with detailing or not, hence I tried to go with a tried and trusted combo that's fairly user friendly, readily available, and will also help to mask some defects!

can't fault your choice of retailer though, Tim at CYC is a top guy.

Zaino is superior but so is there price? Jetseal isnt badly priced and from using it on a couple of cars it has given me some good results and i prefer it to EGP :)

Back