My Paint has bloomed !

Currently reading:
My Paint has bloomed !

I had reason to have my car cleaned at my local Tesco and since then I have noticed that the paint has bloomed and it looks like a cloud in places. What can I do to get it back to where it was please ?
Polite answers please, I am over a certain age and only get let out once a week

I purchased a DA polisher which has variable sppeds but is designed tpo [revent over doing it.

Its a problem once the paint goes off. But a DA polisher makes light work of applying professional paint restoration polish and bringing things back to showroom. M y experience is that it does go off again quite quickly so I would follow up with Supagard or Auto Glym paint sealant tp really seal the job and hopefully preserve the paint with a shine. I think the polisher was from Frost restoration and cost about £75. You then get some Farecla G3 polish which is abrasive and set to carefully polishing each panel. You use polish and water spray as a extra lubricant and keep going till the polish disappears, at which time the paint will almost certainly be shining again. Its not cheap but it works.

When using these sorts of polishes it really pays to mask off all back trim and easy remove masking tape from a paint factors is a good investment as is does stain the plastic otherwise and if using a rotary or DA polisher there will be some drops of polish flying around. There are some good tips in the body care section on here too.

Good luck.

Here are the worst areas. The black area on the passengers door is magnetic rubber to let Max rest his claws on when he is window surfing. Going clockwise...top left..hazy in the middle of the door
top right...mid panel
bottom right... Max assuming his pose !
bottom left... middle of picture to the left of my reflection.

Attachments

• IMG_4425.JPG
    IMG_4425.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 127
  • IMG_4426.JPG
    IMG_4426.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4427.JPG
    IMG_4427.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0941.JPG
    IMG_0941.JPG
    995.2 KB · Views: 121
very hard to see from pictures,but has your car been sprayed repaired before,from what i can see looks like primer showing through the paint,as if not enough top coat was put on the final finish,only time a paint would bloom go cloudy,is if top coat was not dryed properly after been sprayed and dampness soaks into paint,

You could get a local car detailer around for a quote , he'd probably know what the problem is.

Or pop out to see Gareth again for a professional opinion.
(Next meet should be this coming Monday)

Most modern paint is lacquered. Sadly if the paint underneath is affected by the sun, polishing the lacquer makes no difference. Welcome to the future.

Is it stll new enough to have the Fiat paint warranty? After Gareth's opinion, might need a dealer visit.

Last edited:
It will be 6 years old in August !I think it may be from when I had the hail damage done as they offered to take out the supermarket dents at the same time. It's not life threatening, but just annoying because I cant unsee it :(

It was just after we went to the auto museum with the forum. The beginning of September 2018. A company in Reading. Given the state of the inside of the bonnet, tape residue etc, I am in no rush to get them to do anything !

Back