Technical Recommendations for roadside jack

Currently reading:
Technical Recommendations for roadside jack

Ant Knox

Hi all. I picked up a puncture today. In my head I had it all planned out, I had a wheel, pump, wheel brace and the factory jack.
It became immediately obvious that the front side jacking point wasn't a viable option for lifting at the roadside (I ended calling a friendly local for assistance with a trolley jack in the end).
Can anyone recommend a suitable, portable alternative to the factory jack?

Hi all. I picked up a puncture today. In my head I had it all planned out, I had a wheel, pump, wheel brace and the factory jack.
It became immediately obvious that the front side jacking point wasn't a viable option for lifting at the roadside (I ended calling a friendly local for assistance with a trolley jack in the end).
Can anyone recommend a suitable, portable alternative to the factory jack?
I personally have an old scissor-jack in my 500---the type that as you screw it 'closed', the middle rises. I also have 2 pieces of wood in the car with the jack---1 for putting under the jack's base on a poor surface and the 2nd for between the jack and the car. The piece that goes on top of the jack is modified so that it sits securely on the jack-top and can't slip off. I never use the factory jacking points---at the rear I jack the car upon the trailing arm, and at the front I use the appropriate aluminium spring mount to put the jack under. Tip, always undo the wheel bolts slightly whilst the vehicle is on the ground, and when the new wheel is on the car, do the final tightening when the car is back on 4 wheels----less danger of the car falling off the jack doing it this way.

Back