General Rear Wiper

Currently reading:
General Rear Wiper

Molly12

Hello, I have a 2014 fiat 500
Whenever I turn the car on the rear wiper won’t stop moving. It does this the whole journey, until I turn the car off.

Any ideas why??

A common fault with the 500. The wiring to the tailgate, where it passes across the hinge inside a rubber sleeve, flexes and chafes, eventually wires either rub through their insulation and touch together, or wires break. Your issue could be breakage, where current is trying to find an earth, but more likely, the power feed is touching the park feed.
The wiper motor has a permanent power feed to the park circuit, which allows it to park when turned off. Then there is a switched feed. if these two touch, the permanent power goes into the normal feed, and the motor runs continuously.
It could be an internal fault in the motor, but this is uncommon.

There are repair cable sets on Ebay, but need some skill to cut and connect. If you, or a family member are handy with such stuff, they can fix it. If not, you'll need a garage to do it, which will cost a fair bit of labour.

Looks like Bill has your answer 😊
Soldering usually burns my fingers. There is a new product that you slide the bare wires into and with abit of heat it has solder inside it that melts and the joint is done easy as that. May find it in motorfactors or fleabay 🤗

I've had similar (but not identical) problem after replacing a broken wiper motor with a cheap one off eBay that was advertised as fitting my vehicle (2008 1.4 16v). I'm not sure how intelligent / finicky the motors are, however after fitting the new replacement, I found that whenever I operated the motor, it just stayed on permanently.
I confess I was too lazy to fix it, however fate took matters out of my hands by placing a large skip behind my reversing car about a year later. The replacement boot (again, found on eBay) came with its own wiper motor, which I used and after fitting, the problem went away. In my case, it can't have been the wiring as it was the same wiring (pulled out of the old boot and threaded into the "new", but it's certainly true the wiring between body and boot often goes in these cars).
The rear wiper does seem to strangely activate when I reverse, but I've assumed this is an intentional "feature" from fiat. Perhaps my car is possessed.

In the past wiper motors on some makes of car would short across the "self parking" part of the motor which is live even with wipers off but ignition on.
It is possible that is what is happening.
As a cheat you could locate the wire that remains live to the wiper motor and cut it, the only problem then is you would have to manually park or stop the wiper motor with the wiper switch at a position where it was out of the way.
The correct cure of course is to repair or replace the wiper motor as has been mentioned. :)

It will be the rear hatch wiring issue, don't leave this problem fix it properly now, if left it can cause all sorts of issues, think this maybe the cause of the speedo turn right warning light issue, plus other module related faults.

Back